Archery Talk Forum banner

How times have changed

3116 Views 56 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  NockWorst
I was looking at this picture and the thought crossed my mind about how much things have changed. Not just in the equipment we use, but in the entire process. Communication in this age is so much easier. Not to mention transportation, licenses and services. I wonder how long of a process it was back in the early 60s to go on this type of a hunt. Also the changes in conservation. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a harvest photo of a tiger before…..
Thought it was a pretty interesting photo to share.
Art Vintage clothing Working animal Monochrome Event
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Cato
4,217 Posts
Very interesting

· Registered
3,062 Posts
Hunting is nothing like in the old days and unfortunately we can't undo the damage that's been done. Conservation is definitely a must but unfortunately it seems a losing battle in many places. Way too many people for the land and game available anymore and soon it will only be a game for the wealthy.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

· Registered
30,645 Posts
If memory serves, that tiger was a man-eater that was terrorizing the area. Fred expressed interest and was invited to come and correct the problem. Fast forward to the 21st century where that dentist went bowhunting for African lion and killed a male that had been nicknamed. All the international hate and backlash of the "cruel" great white hunter killing "endangered" game species to put another trophy on the wall. Indeed, things have changed greatly and not for the better in many cases.

· Registered
Bear Execute 32, PSE Evo XF 33
4,376 Posts
You should watch the video of Fred and the tiger. Spoiler alert! He said he was posted up on an elevated blind. There were also gun hunters participating. The village sent people banging pots and pans, hollering, and shooting muzzle loaders to move the cat. The people have and expactation that the cat will be killed.

Fred spotted the cat on a cliff over 100 yards away. He kept waiting for one of the gun hunters to shoot, but no one did. He said he loosed an arrow at the cat in hopes to get it moving again with no expectation of hitting it. The rest is history.

· Registered
30,645 Posts
How about that atv also !!!!
Thanks to the contributors of the post. Pretty interesting. I think if ever I’m invited to go on a tiger drive I’m going to decline if offered a pot or pan ! Lol.
Indeed.....it certainly seems that Fred was in less imminent danger than those on the ground with a pot and spoon as their "weapon". How things were done in the prior century is not an equitable comparison to today. They likely would be flying a drone over the area to pinpoint the cat's location and use a tranquilizer gun to relocate it to a zoo or other suitable location where it wasn't eating folks. I just read over the weekend about a polar bear killing a mother and young child in northern Alaska......the gist was that 'global warming' was pushing them out of their natural habitat and humans are to blame for the bear's behavior. Ok then......

· The Impartial Archer
24,837 Posts
I don't know this but I'd sure bet that India would be like Africa to some degree. I do know that when the hunters kill an animal in Africa NOTHING goes to waste. There are riots and people fighting over the meat because they are fighting real hunger issues.

Many naive Americans think they kill these animals take the head back to America and then toss the carcass in a ditch because it's not a cow...........lol

So they aren't as fortunate as us where they can sit back and bash other countries for eating animals we'd never think of as food. Plus many people were killed by tigers so population "control" should be considered......unless you are ignorant of that process as well.

· Registered
5 Posts
You can read about the hunt in his field notes. Really good book if you don't have it by the way. The way that the hunt worked out is they had several bait stations set out with both food and water so that the tiger had no reason to go very far after eating. Once they found that a bait had been hit, they would organize a drive with all the locals beating their pots and pans (I believe one also had an old muzzleloader that they would fire off). The return for them doing this was that the tiger would be killed, regardless of whether it was Fred with his bow or someone else with a rifle. There were several stands spread out along the path that they thought the tiger would take, one with Fred in it and others further along with rifles. At one point during the drive, Fred heard a rifle shot and figured that the hunt was over, however there were 3 tigers in the drive instead of just the one like was originally thought. He noticed one of them working along the base of a rock wall 100 yards away, and knowing this was too far for a shot, decided to try and shoot an arrow past it, hoping that the noise of the arrow hitting the rocks behind the cat would scare it enough to make it run his direction. However, his shot was a bit low and he ended up killing the tiger instead.

· Registered
624 Posts
Hunting is nothing like in the old days and unfortunately we can't undo the damage that's been done. Conservation is definitely a must but unfortunately it seems a losing battle in many places. Way too many people for the land and game available anymore and soon it will only be a game for the wealthy.

I just got done reading Fred Bear's field notes and he was already touching on this problem way back then. I always knew that more people would mean less hunting opportunity as we go into the future, but it blows my mind how rapidly things have fallen off a cliff in Utah and in the west in general just these past several years. Basically every thing is turning into a draw and the draw odds are getting stupid. From reading archery talk it sounds like guys in the whitetail states are having their problems too, but in their case it is more of a land access problem. Every thing is turning into a lease and if you don't have deep enough pockets to be competitive with all the other guys you are SOL.

· Registered
PSE XF33, Xpedition MX-16, Bowtech Experience
22 Posts
Great picture, and we always have something to learn from history.

As far as where hunting is headed, this thought always occurs to me, although I would never want to see it happen. Take all the meat out of the grocery stores for a few months and then see who supports hunting and harvesting their own meat. People are just too detached from the knowledge of where their food comes from.

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know this but I'd sure bet that India would be like Africa to some degree. I do know that when the hunters kill an animal in Africa NOTHING goes to waste. There are riots and people fighting over the meat because they are fighting real hunger issues.

Many naive Americans think they kill these animals take the head back to America and then toss the carcass in a ditch because it's not a cow...........lol

So they aren't as fortunate as us where they can sit back and bash other countries for eating animals we'd never think of as food. Plus many people were killed by tigers so population "control" should be considered......unless you are ignorant of that process as well.
Not quite certain I follow the ignorance statement at the end of this post, not sure where it was directed.

· Registered
3,062 Posts
Great picture, and we always have something to learn from history.

As far as where hunting is headed, this thought always occurs to me, although I would never want to see it happen. Take all the meat out of the grocery stores for a few months and then see who supports hunting and harvesting their own meat. People are just too detached from the knowledge of where their food comes from.
Do that and there will be no game left to hunt like in India and parts of Africa. Sustenance hunting will decimate game populations quickly.

· Registered
PSE XF33, Xpedition MX-16, Bowtech Experience
22 Posts
Do that and there will be no game left to hunt like in India and parts of Africa. Sustenance hunting will decimate game populations quickly.

I completely agree. Just wanted to make a point about people who eat their fast food burger as they type on the internet how hunters should just leave all the animals alone. smh

1 - 20 of 57 Posts