Archery Talk Forum banner

How to afford a new bow?

3408 59
Just wondering how people can afford to fork out big bucks for bows when the economy is going in the crapper and only getting worse?would think that there would be more trading of bows on the classifieds instead of selling.What are your thoughts?:sad:
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
6,317 Posts
I think a lot of people aren't necessarily feeling the effects yet of the "bad economy" or are simply not as affected as others... or are prepared enough that they can still live comfortably.

...or maybe some are incredibly in debt :lol:

good question. I've been expecting more vehicles going up for sale now too but honestly haven't seen much of a change around here.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Its called more money than brains. Americans spend spend spend. So prices go up up up. But dont expect anyone to ever believe they are partly responsible for the state of the economy. George carlin said it best in that we dont know how to take care of eachother. Yes this is all relevant

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
bows and the economy

I like buying things in the classifieds, rather than buying them new. I prefer doing this because right now I am a college student and I don't have a full time job (yet), so the classified section is really my only option. To be honest, if I had the money, I would love to be able to buy things new to support the economic upturn, but until that happens, I'll manage with cheap bows that shoot just as good, but at half the price.:wink: To answer the question, I just think that if you do want to purchase another bow, the best way to do it is to completely eliminate UNNECESSARY spending. Spend as little money as is possible to support your lifestyle, and you'll be surprised at how quickly the money accumulates, or if you don't have a job, like myself, how slowly the money depletes.

· Registered
4,122 Posts
New Bow

I'm having to sell a couple of my bows in order to get the bow I want (new '09 Dream Season):wink:

· Registered
3,545 Posts
Hmm ... i usually wait for about 5 years before I can buy another 'new' old bow off the classifieds, and usually, the bow I buy is an older model so it's a lot cheaper.

· Registered
1,531 Posts
I prefer to have someone else shell out the big bucks for the new bow, then I get it from them at the used price.

Anyone dissatisfied with their new Bowtech Brigade (target color)? :wink:

· Registered
256 Posts
Affordability

Lot's of folks will be selling bows after Hunting Season. Archers are holding on so the season is not totally lost. The Economy will affect many.

Some are fortunate to have great jobs or money stashed away in non-Stock Market accounts. Many of us have lost 40+ years of savings flushed away with the Market. Being retired in this situation really stinks. It puts a real damper on the joy of hobbies.

New Bows are out for lots of folks. If lucky, people will be able to hold on to what they have and not loose it.

I expect the Classifieds to be very active starting in January. Deals will start to be hot and folks with money will benefit.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
I think a lot of people aren't necessarily feeling the effects yet of the "bad economy" or are simply not as affected as others... or are prepared enough that they can still live comfortably.

...or maybe some are incredibly in debt :lol:

good question. I've been expecting more vehicles going up for sale now too but honestly haven't seen much of a change around here.
I agree.

Many people are better off than they think.

· Registered
475 Posts
Think about the small stuff that you waste your money on each week and come up with a spending plan. Maybe it's coffee or soda everyday, maybe its eating lunch out everyday. You can be suprised of how easy it is to save 30 or 40 dollars a week, take that money and put it aside for a bow instead of junk.

· Registered
13,278 Posts
I bought all of my new bows, and euipment the old fashion way. I earned it. Worked my tail off, and saved the money. If you want something bad enough, you can get it.

· Banned
3,067 Posts
Just wondering how people can afford to fork out big bucks for bows when the economy is going in the crapper and only getting worse?would think that there would be more trading of bows on the classifieds instead of selling.What are your thoughts?:sad:
Personally I write news articles and editorials for a number of news sites and blogs. Ranging from general technology to engineering....so I am a geek....yippee!

Yes I do get paid for this and put it all towards my hobbies too boot!

· Registered
216 Posts
Well, you can do it like I did. I have had 3 days off since Sept 3rd.:beat: Double time on Sundays and time and a half on Saturdays. My last truck payment was in August and I bought a good bow and all the goodies. Total for bow, case, arrows, quiver, sights, stabilizer, rest,new release, sling braid sling, $1400.00

The SKB case was the only thing I didn't plan on. The General bow has a limited number of cases that it will fit in. I got a really good deal on the bow for $625.00 and everything else added up to the total price.

· Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
I believe the economic downturn is going to hit the bow industry hard mainly because the majority of new bows presently sold are not bought by new archers but rather by seasoned archers who already have at least one good bow but have enough disposable income to indulge themselves. As money gets really tight, which is coming, the average archer who would normally be ordering a new bow will be ordering a new stringset instead and many will be putting their extra bows up for sale in the Classifieds. I also expect lots more used bows will be turning up on pro-shop racks.

Bows are comparable to cars in that a used Cadillac will get you where you're going just as well as a new one will -- and so will a good used Ford. And how well the trip goes depends more on the skill of the driver than on the shiny finish and luxurious features of the car.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
saved up for mine.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.