Archery Talk Forum banner

how to aim consistently

1489 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Archer Dude
Question 1. My arrows usually go sideways quite often. What would be the best way to fix this? Sometimes it's severe, and sometimes it's not. But I have seen someone who shoots very consistently that there is always no spaces between his arrows. How do I do that. What should I keep in mind during practices.

Question 2. What's the best way of side anchoring consistently?

Question 3. What's the difference between sighting and aiming.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
632 Posts
Get 2 books. "Core Archery" and "Idiot Proof Archery". Build your shot from the ground up, and you'll be stacking them in there too. Archery is a discipline, so it's not an instant process.

Slowhandstl

· Registered
6,857 Posts
Get 2 books. "Core Archery" and "Idiot Proof Archery". Build your shot from the ground up, and you'll be stacking them in there too. Archery is a discipline, so it's not an instant process.

Slowhandstl
that will work or you can go and take lessons with a archery coach it will help to

· Banned
4,646 Posts
Question 1. My arrows usually go sideways quite often. What would be the best way to fix this? Sometimes it's severe, and sometimes it's not. But I have seen someone who shoots very consistently that there is always no spaces between his arrows. How do I do that. What should I keep in mind during practices.

Question 2. What's the best way of side anchoring consistently?

Question 3. What's the difference between sighting and aiming.
hyun - tell us a little about your bow setup & release, rest, etc. What poundage on the bow, Brace Height, what draw length, what arrows are you shooting.

These can all be a factor.

This will probably tick off some PSE lovers, but...I have an 07 X-Force HF which has significantly more r/l error than my Destroyer 350, even though both are tuned.

1) But one of the biggest things is holding the bow correctly - don't death grip it - you can bring you thumb and forefinger together just touching, but the other fingers should be loose off the bow.
2) While some people will push a back tension release, I had difficulty using them, and decided to just stick with my tru-ball. So the trick is to release in such a way as to not tense up just prior to release, concentrating on holding you bow arm and release arm in the same positions after the release.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
All right. Thank you for the advice. I will have to get the books because coaches are not available where I live. I have a book already named "Archery Anatomy" by Ray Axford. Would this be a good alternative or are those books better?
Archery Anatomy is a good book, but it is much more advanced than you need. Core Archery and Idiot Proof Archery are much better for beginners.

· Registered
5,892 Posts
My best advice to you is to join your local archery/3-D club. There will be experienced archers there that will be willing to give you tips in person. They will have an easier time correcting your mistakes because they can see you doing it. You will also make some friends there.

My club only charges $15 a year for a membership and with that, you can shoot the 3-D range anytime you want for free.

Good luck,
Kev
<><

· Registered
6,910 Posts
Tozer is on to something in his suggestions. When talking about grip - the goal of a loose grip is to keep you from "torquing" the bow, which will cause your right and left movement.

All of the posters are putting you on the right track,
1) study what you are supposed to do,
2) put what you learn into practice,
3) then practice often.

If you have someone who can watch you shoot, who either also shoots or has read the same book or maybe someone you just told what to look for in your shot setup, they can watch and let you know what they see. If you don't have anyone who can watch you, you might consider using a video camera and record your practice.

Good Luck!

· Registered
2,688 Posts
One thing I teach is form: good or bad it has to be consistant!! Try to find 3 or more touch points. If you shoot with a peep consider that one, if you use a kisser that is two, the string touching the tip of your nose 3. The draw has to be exact each and every time. The more you are the better you shoot. The grip has to be loose, two finger hold, thumb and index. Pratice a lot without getting tired. Stop when the shots start widening.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Where are you at? It would let some members here know where to suggest you go for some pointers and to shoot. You can ask people here questions all day and all for nothing. You really need someone with you to see what's wrong and to show you what's right.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reply to TozerBGood:
I have no idea what you just said. I will get those books. I don't think there I am death gripping, but I will try to grip less. The back tension thing is something I will try. Thank you.

Reply to AllenRead:
Thank you.

Reply to mainehunt:
What's a 3-D club. Computer shooting? $15 a year for all that? Lord, I am being sabotaged!

Reply to oldschoolcj5:
Video camera won't be helpful. I have seen videos of other archers, and I can't really tell much from the videos.

Reply to sgspencer:
I will.

Reply to 3children:
How do you find 3 or more? I just use the side of my nose, but I am not sure if the string touches the exact same spot every time I shoot. What else can I touch with side anchoring?

Reply to Buster_of_Xs:
Not America.

· Registered
214 Posts
Consistency.
Proper form while doing it. just make sure you dl is correct and you can hold steady with it for a period of time.
Draw weight...make sure you can draw somewhat straight back. not sky drawing.

and just shoot shoot shoot. its getting to be the warmer time of the year. Just shoot and you will be stacking arrows in no time. Make sure you dont jerk your trigger and stay relaxed at the bigginning. after you get to shooting more you can tell more where your shot is going to be...I mean its easier to be consistent and do the same thing, and you will notice when you dont.

· Banned
4,646 Posts
Reply to TozerBGood:
I have no idea what you just said. I will get those books. I don't think there I am death gripping, but I will try to grip less. The back tension thing is something I will try. Thank you.
hyun - Books are good, but there's plenty of online instructions you can find, without spending money on books. Do a google search on it ("how to shoot a compound bow", or "proper compound bow technique" something like that - I'm sure you'll find some info), and also a youtube search. There are tons of video clips, pics, instructions, etc.

Once you get some investigating done, then get someone to video you shooting, and then on the video, say where the arrow landed on the target (each time you shoot on the video). Then see if you can't determine a pattern from watching the video's of yourself shooting. You'd be surprised what that can reveal if you video yourself. Things like are you anchoring at the same point each time...are you dropping your arm after the release...are you tensing up prior to release...all sorts of things.

You can also show the video to any good archers you may know, and get their opinions. But I wouldn't recommend just posting the vids on AT...you will get all sorts of comments which may or may not be correct.

Finally...I agree with the "practice...practice...practice". It's the same as learning how to play a musical instrument...always takes lots of practice and dedication.

· Registered
844 Posts
All right. Thank you for the advice. I will have to get the books because coaches are not available where I live. I have a book already named "Archery Anatomy" by Ray Axford. Would this be a good alternative or are those books better?
Find an archery shop or club and just ask for advice. Just because someone doesnt call themself a coach doesnt mean you cant learn a ton from them.
Everyone who has posted has given you great advice but there is a big advantage to having someone with experience watch you shoot to spot flaws in your form.

· <--- My first buck
1,219 Posts
Lots of good suggestion on here but here are three very simple things that give big, quick, results.

1. Closed eyes blind bale shooting 25 shots a day for 2 weeks.
  • Stand 5 feet from target so you can't miss and you can reach the arrow in the target
  • Draw and hold long as you reasonably can and focus on form, feel, and pulling into the wall through a slow smooth trigger, no jerks
  • Release the arrow and then reach out and retrieve arrow without moving your feet
  • Repeat using the same arrow over and over again
2. Have 2 dozen practice arrows and shoot 24 in succession at each practice.
  • Dont' shoot 4 or 6 or whatever and retrieve.
  • Shooting the whole 2 dozen in a row will build endurance so when you go to a 300 match and shoot 60 you won't become fatigued.
  • Do the 2 dozen thing from now on and forever.

3. Spend time practicing without shooting.

• Draw and hold the the sight spot on as long as you reasonably can.
  • Let up without shooting.
  • Relax a moment and repeat over and over.
  • This will help you get past target panic or drive by shooting.
  • You don't want to anticipate shooting as your pin moves across the target.
  • You want to learn to get the pin on the target and hold it there.
  • Yes, it will somewhat orbit the target because nobody can hole it dead on long term but you do not want to shoot while passing through.
Best wishes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.