Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all know how to be civil, but let me add my 2 cents. In a forum like this its about not letting it get personal, about not adding that extra twist, that "gottcha", that insult...

Civil:

I think you are about [blank]. My experience is that [blank] works for me and my friends, and we all shoot perfect 300s. Check out these photos.

Uncivil:

You are dead wrong about [blank] and it's a total waste of time. You've always been dead wrong. You are a [blank] and if you knew anything for real you'd [blank]. And your little dog, too!

My "uncivil" example isn't all that uncivil, but a lot of what can go wrong, I think, with civility is subtext, which is hard to invoke in a generic example, especially when a lot of the subtext is personal history.

What say you all?

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
I think we all know how to be civil, but let me add my 2 cents. In a forum like this its about not letting it get personal, about not adding that extra twist, that "gottcha", that insult...

Civil:

I think you are about [blank]. My experience is that [blank] works for me and my friends, and we all shoot perfect 300s. Check out these photos.

Uncivil:

You are dead wrong about [blank] and it's a total waste of time. You've always been dead wrong. You are a [blank] and if you knew anything for real you'd [blank]. And your little dog, too!

What say you all?
And here I thought you was going to refer us back to the Buster of X's handbook... :laugh:

Oh.... right... and bringin the dog into it... that's uncivil.... and wrong... speaking of which...

View attachment 1827001

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here I thought you was going to refer us back to the Buster of X's handbook... :laugh:

Oh.... right... and bringin the dog into it... that's uncivil.... and wrong... speaking of which...

View attachment 1827001
I dunno, *that* dog seems pretty cute, if naughty.

BTW, I read that a study found that dogs don't give the "guilty" when nobody's around, its strictly cued based on the owner. Not sure what to make of it.

But, back on topic, I think a large part of the civility is being able to say what you think and *why*, rather than saying what you think and you are right and the other guy is a jerk. :dontknow:

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
I dunno, *that* dog seems pretty cute, if naughty.

BTW, I read that a study found that dogs don't give the "guilty" when nobody's around, its strictly cued based on the owner. Not sure what to make of it.

But, back on topic, I think a large part of the civility is being able to say what you think and *why*, rather than saying what you think and you are right and the other guy is a jerk. :dontknow:
She is.... :laugh:

I agree... if you spent time on the why part more you sometimes learn the error of your own ways... :grin:

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
When I think of Civil, the word" War" is always after it.....

That dog pic is worth 1000 words....she knows exactly what the score is. My buddy had a dog that was that dogs twin.....killed hundreds of hogs behind that dog even after being shot twice [through the hog then into the dog] once in the jaw. Of course he didn't do it single handedly, he had a pack of studs that were off to the races when he started barking....loved that dog Bullet since the chases were always shorter with him.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
It really is easy to be civil in forum conversations when you consider that nothing can be personal because, for the most part, we do not know each other on a personal level. It's like getting ticked off at your computer or some guy in Thailand who is not even speaking the same language.

I have received some strange comments concerning my opinions as if my opinions alone were rancid in some way. I get ticked off as easy as the next guy but getting miffed and responding harshly to ridiculous comments makes no sense here. Even a little dog can handle that type of foolishness with dignity.

Doug

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
When I think of Civil, the word" War" is always after it.....

That dog pic is worth 1000 words....she knows exactly what the score is. My buddy had a dog that was that dogs twin.....killed hundreds of hogs behind that dog even after being shot twice [through the hog then into the dog] once in the jaw. Of course he didn't do it single handedly, he had a pack of studs that were off to the races when he started barking....loved that dog Bullet since the chases were always shorter with him.
:grin: and you named him bullet.... :laugh:

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
In civil conversation or discussion. .being able to admit you may be wrong is paramount to having a open dialog or mind..

Civivalty is a 2 way street. ..were both or all individuals involved must be honored. .

I've found that if a individual has a axe to grind, and has no real idea of what they are discussing, that they are the ones who are most prone to stop being civil and start being rude and disrespectful of others.

It's very difficult to find a way of having a open dialog of a meaningful purpose with these types of people who insist on always portraying themselves as the victims of others breaking from civility first, when they have nothing else to add to a discussion when at a point in the discussion they are faced with a overwhelming disbelief of their respective opinions. ..or faced with a preponderance of evidence that shows that their opinions are possibly wrong.

Some individuals adeptly choose to be uncivil purposely, just to entice others to speak out,in efforts to reenforce their own notion of being victimized by others and portray themselves blameless in these discussions for their prior actions as well. .

As long as we understand when we start a discussion opinions will most always vary amongst others on most any topic, and that we aren't always going to sway others to agree with our opinions. ...then we can discuss almost anything civilly. ..

If a person who disagrees strongly with a opinion, as uses terminology like. .." I think that idea, opinion, statement, ect, ect is stupid"..they should explain why. .and we as adults. .have a responsibility to keep the dialog going in a positive fashion by having thick enough skin to not take the comment personally and assume that the meaning was that you are receiving a insult.. To many times I have seen this happen. ..by those who have are spoiling to portray others in a bad light.
My $.02

Mac. . .

·
Registered
678 Posts
I bet if there was a reset and everyone had to change their screenames you would be surprised at the results.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think you're on to something here, Warbow. Unfortunately, and to my knowledge nobody has quite figured out why this is, the Internet has a tendency to make grown men act like thirteen-year-old girls. (My apologies to any thirteen-year-old girls we may have here on AT.) I think it's got everything to do with anonymity and a sense of never having to face any of these people in real life, but that's just me.

One thing that I would add is that part of being civil is letting the nitpicky things go. On some sites, people nitpick each other's spelling and grammar. While I haven't seen any of that here at AT, we do tend to nitpick in other ways. For example:

Poster #1: In my 20 years of experience, I've come to find that ________ works much better than ________.

Poster #2: Nice try, Poster #1, but you're trying to make it sound like that's the only way to do things, when really it's just your opinion! You should have said that your way is only one of many, and might not work for the OP. Stop trying to force everybody else to do everything your way!

And things degenerate from there. :fencing:

Another issue is the holding of grudges. Some of the arguments on here remind me of those married couples who bring up every past transgression any time the have an argument.

We need to just be willing to let things go. A wise man once said, "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." I think we'd all be better off if we kept that in mind more often.

But maybe I'm just being nitpicky, and should really let things go.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think you're on to something here, Warbow. Unfortunately, and to my knowledge nobody has quite figured out why this is, the Internet has a tendency to make grown men act like thirteen-year-old girls. (My apologies to any thirteen-year-old girls we may have here on AT.) I think it's got everything to do with anonymity and a sense of never having to face any of these people in real life, but that's just me.

One thing that I would add is that part of being civil is letting the nitpicky things go. On some sites, people nitpick each other's spelling and grammar. While I haven't seen any of that here at AT, we do tend to nitpick in other ways. For example:

Poster #1: In my 20 years of experience, I've come to find that ________ works much better than ________.

Poster #2: Nice try, Poster #1, but you're trying to make it sound like that's the only way to do things, when really it's just your opinion! You should have said that your way is only one of many, and might not work for the OP. Stop trying to force everybody else to do everything your way!

And things degenerate from there. :fencing:

Another issue is the holding of grudges. Some of the arguments on here remind me of those married couples who bring up every past transgression any time the have an argument.

We need to just be willing to let things go. A wise man once said, "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." I think we'd all be better off if we kept that in mind more often.

But maybe I'm just being nitpicky, and should really let things go.
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
The big downfall is when one or more involved in a debate resort to personal attacks. Which, is what people do when they are unable to support their position and just start calling names.

I don't think there's anything special about conversations on the net except that you end up having discussions that you might not otherwise have with people you wouldn't otherwise be talking to at all.

They're out there and it'll be that much more unpleasant if you run into them in person.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
The big issue is that certain members start arguing because they have no respect for the other person at all, and we all know who they are at this point. They consider the other arguers fools.

There are also a few people who no matter what, believe that they are always right (most of the above bickerers). They don't compromise, and even when they do "see the light" in that there isn't a black and white, they will still argue their old point with a new twist until they are blue in the face. Some people argue without knowing a single thing about what they're arguing, but still have to be right.

We just seem to have too many people who are always "right" and who have to make sure the world knows that they are right and the other side is wrong. It's pretty easy, however, to see who they are after just a few threads, and it's no trouble putting them on your ignore list.

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
Sounds like a conspiracy theory.........:icon_1_lol:
You actually bring up a good example of what a lot of folks see here.

Why would, or how would, the rest of this community know that's a reference to a discussion between Bender and Warbow on that moved Coach Locator thread in the FITA Forum. Those of us that continued in that discussion after it was moved know the full context of it, but for this discussion, it just seems to serve as a stab at Warbow.

Not necessarily saying you are trying to prod Warbow here and into something further, but just odd that you have ample opportunity to get it in over there, in context, where it means something to the rest of the crowd, but chose here instead.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I think in normal situations being civil for most isn't an issue, what becomes the challenge is remaining civil when others are directing insults at you. When people are provoking me I tend to walk away and use the ignore button but what I find difficult is to ignore it when I see it being directed at others and I feel compelled to speak up, i think if we all did that then we all in effect become Mods and maybe we can stamp it out altogether. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
I'll say a few words...

I'm new to trad archery, after spending 18 years shooting and hunting with compounds. I have been on AT for about a decade, but have only been lurking and occassionally posting in this subforum for the past several months.

Overall, this forum has as much or more arguing and bickering in it than any other, with the possible exception of the old PRM. (But even there more respect was usually evident.) Of course I have noticed that it is mostly the same few posters who use just about every thread to refight some old argument. It makes someone like me, who is trying to build a base of knowledge about trad, hesitant to post or even visit. I now frequent tradgang much more regularly.

I will add that to some extent I see this as part of a larger AT pattern, as the forum as a whole has gotten less respectful and less tolerant of diverse opinion.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Civility does not present when people repeatedly demonstrate that they have an axe to grind. Personally, I could care less…although it does prevent me from adding support to things I might be in agreement with…but in the bigger picture it surely presents as a pitiful example to persons having come here in search of help. In a nutshell, people demonstrating that cannot separate themselves from such practices are undermining their own credibility…and there is no display of knowledge/accomplishment large enough to turn character-flaw into role-model.

I started the stick and string thing at a very young age…and as a result my pursuit/practice has caused many of life’s circumstances to pass through an “archery filter”. Personally, I can relate much that I know/practice of self-discipline, patience, acceptance, being centered, goal oriented, problem solving, standing on principles, etc. as having root/basis in this form of self-indulgence.

That said, with enough exposure we will all fall short of being universal roles models…but that archery might serve as a wholesome/helpful means to a better end is one of the reasons I’m here, wishing to extend encouragement to others. The person I most tear down is myself…‘cause making things all about me sets a course in the opposite direction from their having an enjoyable journey of discovery. Taking myself too seriously only causes others to judge…so it helps no one…least of all myself.

Well…now that I’m 2 cents lighter, I’ve got to go spend some time with my bow. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
The big issue is that certain members start arguing because they have no respect for the other person at all, and we all know who they are at this point. They consider the other arguers fools.

There are also a few people who no matter what, believe that they are always right (most of the above bickerers). They don't compromise, and even when they do "see the light" in that there isn't a black and white, they will still argue their old point with a new twist until they are blue in the face. Some people argue without knowing a single thing about what they're arguing, but still have to be right.

We just seem to have too many people who are always "right" and who have to make sure the world knows that they are right and the other side is wrong. It's pretty easy, however, to see who they are after just a few threads, and it's no trouble putting them on your ignore list.
One's position or argument should stand on it's own...or not. I don't think compromise is really required because that's something you do when you don't really believe what you're saying...though it's ok to change your mind in light of new information.

Everybody in a debate takes the position that they are right. If not, you don't have a debate. Now, you don't have to have a debate but debate isn't such a bad thing.

Again I'll point out that there shouldn't be a problem until somebody starts with the personal insults and that's just a sign of intellectual bankruptcy...and we have plenty of that in this world.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts