Archery Talk Forum banner

How to become a prostaff?

2691 Views 25 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Bodenhimer
I noticed that several members are prostaffs for some great companies...how do you become a prostaff? I love hunting, and even though this is my first year bowhunting I would love to be able to represent our sport more. Thanks in advance for your help.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Well the first thing would be to ask yourself do you want to do this for the freebies and deals or do you have faith and believe in a company enough to promote it?

Start by getting your name out there locally and maybe even to the state and regional level through shops, a few shoots and maybe an outfitter or two in your area.

Then send a resume to the company you want to be a part of. The worst thing they can say is no!

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True Dat:darkbeer:

I am just curious and wanting some info!

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the first thing would be to ask yourself do you want to do this for the freebies and deals or do you have faith and believe in a company enough to promote it?

Start by getting your name out there locally and maybe even to the state and regional level through shops, a few shoots and maybe an outfitter or two in your area.

Then send a resume to the company you want to be a part of. The worst thing they can say is no!
Thanks for the info. Of course I would like free stuff, but I am more interested in being able to try different products and learning as much as I can about what is out there. That said, I am not waiting to become a prostaffer to learn and try...my wife can attest to that...:wink:

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Staff

I just sent in an application for Diamond/BowTech and got lucky. I cheated with the Trophyadvantage position, one of my best friends owns the company. The other I found on ArcheryTalk.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
It happened like this. I had a call put in my mouth by a friend and after time[6 months] they made so much fun of me I got pissed and vowed to be the best[never made it that far]. I didn't just read the hunting rags but dug into biology books that Wildlife Biologists use. Spoke to as many of them as I could and soaked that info in like a sponge. Killed some animals, shot every 3D shoot I could make[won more than a few]. Called in every comp I could get into[ won a few] and then fate shined down on me. A big name in elk hunting had a personal issue and had to back out of a seminar and I was asked if I would step in. I said OK, but was uneasy about it. Did the seminar and when I was done a gentleman approached me and asked if I worked for a company. I told him no. Oakie Constantini asked me if I would concider working for Hunter's Specialties and I said yes. Worked for them for 12 years. Did Turkey and elk seminars all over the western US. I quit in 2000 for a whole bunch of reasons. I have met about every big name in the business and have respect for most of them.
BUT, this is not an easy life and there isn't a lot of money in it unless you own the company. But there are perks, lots of toys and if you are in the top % of the pro staff hunting licenses for many different spieces in many different places. But you have to be very good, you have to be well spoken and you have to remember where you came from and you have to want to see people succeed. You have to put up with people that know they are better than you[weather they are or not doesn't matter]. You have people that put down your products and you had better believe in them and use them. Because you are a rep for the company. Above all don't try to BS people because some one will call you on it and make you look like a fool.
You have to know your animals and hunting inside out. And learn from the people you give seminars to. They will show you how you can best help them if you listen to their needs. And never put down another companies product, explain why you use your companies instead.
Again this is a fast pace life. Whirl wind for turkey hunting and then again for elk hunting.
The biggest reason I quit, my kids.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It happened like this. I had a call put in my mouth by a friend and after time[6 months] they made so much fun of me I got pissed and vowed to be the best[never made it that far]. I didn't just read the hunting rags but dug into biology books that Wildlife Biologists use. Spoke to as many of them as I could and soaked that info in like a sponge. Killed some animals, shot every 3D shoot I could make[won more than a few]. Called in every comp I could get into[ won a few] and then fate shined down on me. A big name in elk hunting had a personal issue and had to back out of a seminar and I was asked if I would step in. I said OK, but was uneasy about it. Did the seminar and when I was done a gentleman approached me and asked if I worked for a company. I told him no. Oakie Constantini asked me if I would concider working for Hunter's Specialties and I said yes. Worked for them for 12 years. Did Turkey and elk seminars all over the western US. I quit in 2000 for a whole bunch of reasons. I have met about every big name in the business and have respect for most of them.
BUT, this is not an easy life and there isn't a lot of money in it unless you own the company. But there are perks, lots of toys and if you are in the top % of the pro staff hunting licenses for many different spieces in many different places. But you have to be very good, you have to be well spoken and you have to remember where you came from and you have to want to see people succeed. You have to put up with people that know they are better than you[weather they are or not doesn't matter]. You have people that put down your products and you had better believe in them and use them. Because you are a rep for the company. Above all don't try to BS people because some one will call you on it and make you look like a fool.
You have to know your animals and hunting inside out. And learn from the people you give seminars to. They will show you how you can best help them if you listen to their needs. And never put down another companies product, explain why you use your companies instead.
Again this is a fast pace life. Whirl wind for turkey hunting and then again for elk hunting.
The biggest reason I quit, my kids.
Thanks for the advice and for sharing your knowledge. I will definitely remember your comments.:icon_salut:

· Registered
580 Posts
Not to take over the thread. But when you are a staff shooter or pro staff. what do you do or what responsibilities do you have when you earn that title for a company?

· Registered
11,635 Posts
I just sent in an application for Diamond/BowTech and got lucky. I cheated with the Trophyadvantage position, one of my best friends owns the company. The other I found on ArcheryTalk.
No offense, but if you are on someones Pro Staff, you should at least be able to spell their name correctly. Check you signature. :zip: :)

Lien2

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
How? Put your time and effort in. You'll never get paid for the time and effort you put in up front.

It really has less to do with how well you hunt and more to do with how you interact with other people and portray yourself.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I "made" 4 staffs this year, One of them was a wash "I wont say who", the owner of the company promised me alot of stuff and then never came through with anything and then wouldnt return my calls or emails...So screw them, I will never spend another dime with them just because they lied to me. That was the OWNER of the company, not some sales rep, when the owner lies to you what does that say about the company as a whole. The other 3 staffs I made this year I'm still active with, two of them alot more than the other one.
Being on a ProStaff isnt all fun & games, yes you do get some benefits from it but it's still alot of work. But it's all about helping a company that you believe in and enjoying the time you have there and meeting new people along the way....Put the company first and yourself second and it'll work out for you.

· Registered
3,137 Posts
But it's all about helping a company that you believe in and enjoying the time you have there and meeting new people along the way....Put the company first and yourself second and it'll work out for you.
That is what it's all about for me, I've met some great people working for the company I pro staff for, and its only just beginning! The people you meet, and the friends you make along the way far outweigh the perks and toys you get.

Like said above, you gotta believe in the products you are promoting, you have to use them in the field. It's a lot easier to talk about a product if you use it!

Go the extra mile for that company and do as much as life allows and you will be rewarded.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I am so excited about bowhunting this year, but overall, I am more excited about hunting EVERYTHING! I want a chance to go pheasant hunting while here in IL...spring shotgun turkey...anything. My father and I did not spend a lot of time in the woods for different reasons, but I find myself remembering some of what he taught me every time I go out there. The main reason why I am asking about pro staffing is because I hope to use some of this passion and put it back into the sport - the way of life - in which I was raised.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.