Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever done the research and development of a new product for the archery/bowhunting world. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions on how to effectively market a totally new (useful) product?

Would you suggest selling your idea to an established company and let them bring the product to market or would you do all the R & D and then market the product yourself? Any input would be appreciated. :smile:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cityboy2,

Hey, you never know!!! :teeth:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Maybe someone could help you more on getting an idea about how to market it and bring it to the Hunting world if you could give a small discription about what it is. That way we would have a better idea about where it fits into the market and someone who knows about that market more than others can chime in. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Get a patent!

Depends on how "truly unique" your product is. If it's going to be a "must have" for every archer in the world, then it may be better for you to market it yourself. If not, then the other way around.

First of all, you'll want to patent your product so no one steals it. Then you'll have to market it with things like...marketing companies, websites, large outdoor related chain stores such as Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc....all of which take a lot of time and money, but can be worth it in the long run.

There are a lot of products out there that could be useful and sell very well, but lack the marketing techniques and the cash flow to get them out to the public. Most of the products that sell well, do so only because of the advertising monies that are put into them. The Cough Silencer??? Think about it...is it a GREAT product? No, but it's nationally known, so believe it or not, I bet millions are sold nationwide. :eek:

You will also need a company to mass produce it for you at reasonable prices. Then you can afford to sell them to chain stores cheap enough where they'll buy mass quantities of them to stock the shelves of all their stores.

If that doesn't work...perhaps the free samples will! :D ;)

Whichever you do...good luck in your endeavors! :thumbs_up

JP

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Get patent is an absolute must. However, to get a good patent you most likely will need a prototype in hand just verify that the way you want it is the best way. I have read ALOT of patents over he years and knowing exactly how you want the end product will dictate specially what the patent says.

Unless you have $$$ laying around the patenting process can be real tough. Also can take years to get it approved.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
A patent is only the first step in stopping idea theft.
You have to be willing to sink money and lawyers into the fight once someone steals your idea ( which they will).

So a patent + the willingness to fight in court over your patent are the two ingredients to a good patent.

I manufacture sheet metal boxes for electrical and cable utilities.
We dont enforce the patents we have (we have very few) because its not worth the time and effort at this juncture.

I really honestly believe though that the best way for us to help you is for us to have a free sample of said product.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I don't know if I would get all worked up over a patent but I would if I have a prototype of what evere it is take pictures of it and take them to the post office and have them date and stamp them then send them to your self in a certified letter. By the way never open the letter until needed. I would also look into someone in marketing, if you discuss what the product is with them make them sign a non disclosure agreement. If they do then you have the right to sue them if they leaked your idea.
Now if it's a worth while venture then after you do the small things, by all means patent it, do some of the small things to protect your idea first.USP dates stand up to scrutiny a lot better than photos with time and date stamps.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments and info guys. Hopefully, a fully functional product will be ready for field testing this deer season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts