Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor
28,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to build the 4'x4'x12" box target.

1st. picture. Buy 2 boards 2"x12"x10'. Lowes will cut them to 2 boards 72" one board 48" and one board 45".

2nd. picture. In the middle of the 48" top board, CUT A 6" BY 32" TRAP DOOR . Plunge cut with a circular saw. Screw a 3/4" by 1 1/2" by 34" board to the top of the lid. This gives you a handle and keeps the lid flat.

3rd. picture. Lay out frame on smooth solid surface and up against a wall to help hold in place. Top horizontal board should be 48" with the trap door. Pre drill holes and screw together to the 2, 6' boards. Measure from the top of the horizontal board, down 48" and mark, for the bottom of the 45" board. Total distance from the top horizontal board to the bottom horizontal board has to be 48". Screw the 45" board threw the sides of the two boards 6' tall.

4th. picture. Cover front and back with black material or black plastic film. Just lightly staple in place. This is just to give the cover a uniform color as the clothing will show through the cover.

Attachments

·
Vendor
28,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
picture 5. Staple the diy skins on front and back. Use 3/8" staples minimum and staple every 2". Start at the top left corner with one staple then staple the top right while pulling snug. Then staple in the middle while holding the fabric even with the corners. Now do the same on the bottom. After the skin is connected on all four corners then staple every 2 inches all the way around.

Picture 6, 7. Two pieces of 2'X6"x 36" centered and angled down then screwed to the inside of both 6' 2"x12"s. This acts as a foot to keep help keep target upright without making it wider than 4 foot. If a pro shop wants to use these in a range they can stack them side by side without a gap between them from the feet.

Picture 8. If your going to paint the target. Paint your trim board first. Then paint the target stand and take a little break. The trim should be dry enough to cut and mount to target frame.

Picture 9. Target completely painted, trim on, and trap door in place. Just needs clothes now.

Picture 10. This target can be used blank, or you can pin any paper face or arrow mat you choose with cap nails.

Guys, and Gals: This target took about 3 hours for me to build. Wood $20 for 2"x12" 's, $30 for the skins. $20 old clothes. $70 plus some scrap wood, screws and paint. Retail on this target easily $400. At that price you save $110 per hour labor for 3 hours.

Hope this helps. We will have a video of building the target on the web sight asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Have you ever used any thick plastic or anything as the stuffing? I have a bud that can get me a lot of plastic from home depot and wouldnt have to worry about mold or anything since I want this target to be outside.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I tried plastic in my first attempt at a third hand target and the stuffing lasted >2000 shots... clothing and cloth products is the best way to go! at 44,800 shots on the first one I built with clothing!!!!

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Are all the four foot target faces blank or do you have any with dots or targets on them? Thanks, looks great.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yea if you pack clothes in hard wont this thing look like a bloated goat just before the staples rip out? Thought some were using chicken wire. Although that might scrape arrows. Just dont get how you can pack it firm enough with out it rounding out

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I used 2x4's ripped to 1" for trim to make the bag rock solid after I used wood glue and staples for initial setup

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.