Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancee is wanting to start hunting this year. She's very strong for a woman, but as we all know it's totally different muscles required to pull back a bow. I've put the bow down to as low as the bow will go before I feel like the limb bolts might have a little too much stretch.

What can she do to build her muscles without pulling back her bow or pulling back any other bow at a lower poundage?

· Registered
5 Posts
this might help

i asked the same question to my gym teacher how could get stronger with those specific muscles and he said just to get in the weight room and do uper body workouts :smile: i needed another post saw urs so i thought i would suggest something

· Registered
3,175 Posts
try a bowfit they work. Esentialy its no different than grabing a bike inertube and going through the push pull motions. Thats the easiest way without spending thousands on gym equiptment.

· Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
I might be a little old school but the regular wide arm push ups, where the hands are directly below your elbows is great for building shoulder muscles and therefore power.

· Registered
693 Posts
I might be a little old school but the regular wide arm push ups, where the hands are directly below your elbows is great for building shoulder muscles and therefore power.
Different muscles are being used. Wide grip is more for the chest anyway. Chin/pullups would be better than pushups. I'd say maybe go to a pawn shop and just find a cheap lower poundage bow. This will help her build up her strength and help with her technique.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Bowfit will work. I workout like a madman,and the push ups are good for the pushing part of the equation, but for the pulling a rowing machine helps, or find an old re curve and shoot ,then shoot some more, that will realy build them muscles up.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
rowing exercises will work those back muscles used for backtension.

i use the "bent-over row". basically put the weight on the floor....put your opposite knee on the bench with you opposite hand. basically putting all your body weight on the bench and leaning off to the side. then pick up the weight....using your back muscle pull the weight to your arm pit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent-over_row

· Registered
754 Posts
By a wal mart stretchy band and do the draw motion. As soon as she can get it back though watch out...she will be outshooting you in no time. Thats what happened to me! Thats ok....keeps me driven so she doesn't embarass me!

Also it took awhile for my wife to figure out that she could pull it if she just trusted that she could. She was nervous...and would tentatively try to draw it back all easy....and then give up because she thought it would break. When she went at it with the attitude of nothing bad was going to happen.....pull as hard as you can and just don't let go and you will be fine......she drew it back surprisingly easy the first time!

· Registered
42 Posts
Lay on your left side on a weight bench with the end of the bench just under your arm pit. Extend your left arm as far forward as you can while keeping in contact with the floor. Grasp a dumbell in your right hand let it hang loosely in front of of you across your chest. Now mimick the draw motion and pull the weight as high as your right armpit. Pass the dumbell close to your chin on the way up. Start with a light weight. do 2 to sets of 16 reps as a warm up then go heavier with three set of 12 reps. Switch sides and repeat. She will be ripping apart six pack rings in no time.

· Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
My fiancee is wanting to start hunting this year. She's very strong for a woman, but as we all know it's totally different muscles required to pull back a bow. I've put the bow down to as low as the bow will go before I feel like the limb bolts might have a little too much stretch.

What can she do to build her muscles without pulling back her bow or pulling back any other bow at a lower poundage?
pullups....best thing I know. If she can't do pullups on her own, she can use a chair for assistance until she can. Since I've been doing pullups, I can notice a big difference in my back muscles.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.