Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ! everybody;

I was need'en a question answered if someone can please; How do I get a bow to shoot at least 50#lbs. when I shoot around about 24 to 26 draw length and the bowyers like tomahawk only sell there bows at a standard 28 inch draw length? Do I go up the scale in poundage to get correct poundage to draw length weight? Cause I heard for every inch in draw that you loose you also loose about 3 to 7 pounds in draw weight.

I'd appreciate anybody's help if they could help me out a little?

Thanks Yaw !
Holler Critter:eek:

·
Registered
20,547 Posts
holler -

First off, there a pretty big difference between 24 and 26", almost 2" ;). Better have someone do a real draw check on you. (A good friend of mine was convinced he had a 26", and had been shooting that way for about 15 years. Finally had a sit down with him, and turned out he draw is closer to 30". Now he needs new arrows!)

Anyway, a bow in the #50 range will gain or loose #2-3 per inch. If you're going custom, just talk to the bowyer and see what he recommends. If you're going production, any well designed bow, around #55 @ 28" and 62" or less should be fine, if your doing 26". Usual disclaimer: try before you buy always helps.

We could go into design features, but it's better to just deal with the bowyer.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't know about the 3-7lbs. My draw is 25.5". My 43lb Blackhawk lost 5lbs at my length. Never checked the others, though.
Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have a short draw, 24". I ordered my custom bow at 24" draw. Other bows I get at least 55 lbs at 28". Most of these bows I have lost 2-3 lbs per inch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
try finding a bow that has a lower recommended brace height. That should help you maximize the power stroke and alleviate some of the power loss.
I always thought i drew 28", but i am really 26". My mamba spits em out fast anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts