Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tresspasser that I cant catch. There is also evidence that he was brave enough to hunt out of one of my stands.I need some ideas on hiding a game cam. If you guys could share some game cam hiding ideas or even post some pics of your hidden game cams. Or any other ideas I might use to catch him. Thanks

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have a tresspasser that I cant catch. There is also evidence that he was brave enough to hunt out of one of my stands.I need some ideas on hiding a game cam. If you guys could share some game cam hiding ideas or even post some pics of your hidden game cams. Or any other ideas I might use to catch him. Thanks
1 decoy cam, preferably one that does not work and won't mind them stealing/messing with it, in plain sight where they are guaranteed to see it. Aim another (working) cam at the decoy. I would put it relatively low to the ground and try to cover with some limbs/brush/leaves, OR put it way up in a tree with a ladder that can't be climbed.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Hot glue bark and a branch or two on it being careful to match the tree it's going to be hanging on. The lens hole(s) should just look like tree defects if the bark extends out far enough to block glare. Of course if it's set on flash, nothing you do to hide it will work.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
We put a camera on the ground against a log. You want to have plenty of brush and briars around it such that it really can't be seen from the sides.

Elevated cameras can work well but it is much more unlikely that you will get a decent shot of his face. However, if a game warden sees good pics of him this may be enough for the game officer to scare the fellow off.

Just like setting up to get pics of deer you need to find his "crossing" or primary trail. If he's going around a gate set the camera say 20 or 25 yards beyond the gate. He's most likely on high alert around where he enters and exits your property.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Put a bear trap in your stand if it dont catch him i bet he wont go back. But in reality look for a hole in a tree near your stand or high up with a decoy cam in the real cams line of sight

·
Registered
55 Posts
A cheap camera with a bright flash.
I climbed a tree with my climbing stand and set a cam overlooking my ground blind. The bright flash is a good deterent, and the cheap camera was not a loss when they shot it out of the tree with a rifle. No pictures, but to my knowledge they never came back.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
First thing is to ditch the factory black strap!!!
Get a grey one as it blends with the trees better. You can go a step further and use a Sharpie marker and draw some "bark" on it.

Then I would mount the camera seven to eight feet UP in a tree. Get the camera above the normal "line of sight". Most people don't look up for a camera.
Either stand on the seat of your ATV if you are using that or take a climbing stick with you. Just one will work to get the camera high enough that it won't be too easily seen.
And a "decoy cam" is a good idea. Not only will you catch the trespasser, but if he damages or steals your camera you will have even more grounds to prosecute them on!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have your area Game Warden write him a note. He can Explane the penelties involed for tresspassing. Oh leave the note on the stand they are using. Don't forget to tell them to smile for the camera.

·
Registered
40 Posts
http://www.dakotaalert.com/products.php?cdf=5

MURS Alert Long Range Alert Systems

The new MURS Alert™ offers the ability to monitor activity at remote locations. The MURS Alert™ transmitter utilizes passive infrared sensor technology to send an alert signal to the MURS transceivers, letting you know that someone has entered a monitored area. The M538-HT and M538-BS transceivers can also be used for two-way voice communications.

The MURS Alert™ transmitter is capable of sending 4 different alert messages to the transceiver. The alert signals will be spoken English, and are easily selected at the transmitter so that separate zones can be monitored at the same time. MURS Alert™ will give you real-time monitoring of remote locations up to several miles away.

The MURS Alert™ has many different applications; it can be used by security guards, small businesses, and by hunters monitoring game trails — any scenario that requires immediate notification when someone or something enters a monitored location.

http://www.dakotaalert.com/products.php?cdf=16

The MURS Alert™ transmitter is a revolutionary new trail monitoring system. The MURS Alert™ transmitter is a passive infrared sensor that can be mounted on a tree or a post to monitor activity at remote locations. When the MURS Alert™ detects people, vehicles, or large animals, it will send an alert signal to either the M538-BS or M538-HT transceivers. The alert signal will be in spoken English, twice repeating the phrase “Alert Zone One,” “Alert Zone Two,” “Alert Zone Three,” or Alert Zone Four.” The four alert messages are easily selected at the transmitter so that up to four different zones can be monitored simultaneously.

The MURS Alert™ transmitter has five channels and 38 sub-channels to choose from. This will help to eliminate interference from other users. The MURS Alert™ operates on 6 AA alkaline batteries. The battery life should be about one year under most conditions. The channels, sub-channels, and alert zones are all easily selected by the user. In most instances, it should only take a minute to make the changes.

The MURS Alert™ transmitter will have a range of up to several miles* back to the hand-held or base station transceivers. This extended range will help monitor areas that have been very difficult to monitor in the past. It will be of great value to businesses trying to monitor customer traffic, security guards trying to monitor remote warehouses, farmers monitoring vacant farm sites, and hunters monitoring game trails. MURS Alert™ will give you real time monitoring of any location that you choose.

... Along with a toy helicopter, outfitted with a camera www.draganfly.con

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, thanks for all the help. I will use some of those ideas for sure. I have got just the right old film cam to use as a decoy. thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts