Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! yaw;

I was wondering if one of you fine folks could give an accurate proceedure for determing corect draw length for someone who shoots off the self? I here placing a yard stick to the center of the chest ,and out reaching both arms and hands in front of yourself, and touching the fingertips together gives a good measurement is this true? If not is there a more accurate proceedure for measuring draw length, without the use of a bow and arrow for reference?

Keep your eyes on target !

Holler critter

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
HC -

If not is there a more accurate proceedure for measuring draw length, without the use of a bow and arrow for reference?
Despite what has been posted in another thread, NO, there really isn't. Most of the formulae that have been talked about are approximations and while they can get close, they aren't perfect. Differences in anchor points, shoulder compression under the weight of the bow etc can change things by inches.

If you really don't have access to a bow, then sure use one of the formulas in the other thread. If you have access to a good sporting goods shop that has a draw length check bow - better.

Now for the bad news. For most new shooters, the initial draw check is also an approximation. As your form develops your draw length will change, usually longer. That why for new shooter I suggest arrows as much as 2" longer than what they think their draw length initially measures. You can always make an arrow shorter - lengthening becomes problematic.

Viper1 out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts