Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot about rub lines but I have never found these while scouting (I have only been scouting for 2 seasons though). When I find a rub in the woods I usually don't see any nearby rub that would form a line any closer than 300 yards.

How do you guys go about locating a rub line in the first place?

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Try finding a scrape line edge of fields faint trails fence lines ridges try looking for man made or geographical lines that a deer may travel

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I have only found 1 rub line in my 5 years of deer hunting...That was on an old logging road that was grown in with saplings and the rubs were only feet apart...I hunted that line a few times and never saw a deer...Now I hunt travel routes that have some rubs around them 50 - 60 yards away...6 deer in 2 years all with a bow.

Rub lines will show you buck travel patterns, but I don't know that I would hunt the line unless I saw other sign or it was a doe travel route as well. I'm trying to nail down the travel routes of a few big bucks on my list...I think I have 1 figured out but we will see next season or this summer when I get my cameras out again.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Get out and try to grid search your property. You might find a rub leading to a rub line but I usually find rub lines in the thickest or most secluded areas I hunt. Which are usually near food or water and furthest from human activity. Might want to look for scrapes, find those and head towards the thickest cover and the lines could be towards the cover. Hunting a rub line near scrapes is a great place to rattle during the pre rut.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
i never hunt rubs any more... have had a lot better luck not hunting them thhan i did when i hunted them
Yeah i have never had any luck hunting rub lines. I have a place that is nothing but 2 ridges with a field running through it. Both of the ridges are just beat to heck with rubs. They are about 400 yards long and beat to crap with rubs. There will be 6 trees withing 20 yards but i have never seen a large buck in this area. I even put trail cams on these spots and all i had were pics of a couple of bucks beating these trees up but it was never before 11:00 p.m. All of the pics were taken between 11:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
These deer were bedding in a different neighboring property and would come by and make these rubs and scrapes in complete darkness as part of the nighttime ritual. I wasted 2 years hunting these ridges and only saw the small bucks during daylight.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
What justanotherbuck said "soft edges" are the key. Hard edges also work for locating a line but are usaullay noctural rubs (as are most).

Now is the time - best time to locate. Bucks won't spook as bad. Boots on the ground - have found a couple buck skulls already. Time in the woods and lines will appear.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Alot of times I believe that folks get confused about direction of travel, as a buck may step off the trail and rub at a 90 degree angle to direction of travel, then continue on.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess it depends on where you are on a bucks rub line whether or not you will see him in daylight hours. Are they making rubs along their trails to and from bedding areas?If I find a faint buck trail that only has rubs every 100 yds are so, would that be useless to hunt?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, one tip that may help you (OP) find rub lines is this: When you find a rub, squat down facing the rubbed side of the tree, and look forward toward where a buck would go IF he was heading in the direction he was going as he approached the tree he rubbed. You may see the rubs showing up on trees in the next 50-75 yards.

But while squatting, take a good look in all directions, because as zap notes, the buck may not necessarily travel a straight line.

Keep an eye out for ripped up bushes too, as not all rubs are nice bright spots on a tree trunk.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
IMO, very early season....rubs coming out of bedding going to a food source is a good evening spot....The opposite direction for very early morning...sometimes they are traveling the same route am/pm.

Rubs along the edge of doe bedding, where a buck stops to scent check the trails.....then moves to the next trail.....is a good morning rut spot, with the correct wind/thermal direction.

Rub lines between bedding.....good mid day rut spot.

Rubs and scrapes in the open I would not bother hunting....unless there is very little human intrusion in that area.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good suggestions Crawdad and Zap.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I read a lot about rub lines but I have never found these while scouting (I have only been scouting for 2 seasons though). When I find a rub in the woods I usually don't see any nearby rub that would form a line any closer than 300 yards.

How do you guys go about locating a rub line in the first place?

I hunt whitetail at times west of Edmonton and find they don't rub trees that much in the area I hunt but scrapes are not hard to find

We hunt the scrapes with good results so we don't spend a lot of time looking for rubs either

1 - 20 of 29 Posts