Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I am having a problem getting my arrows to group. I am somewhat new with archery and am having a tough time to get a consistent group. My bow is spot on (one of my buddies whose a skilled archer can get x's every time), and it has been paper tuned. I know my muscles are still developing to be able to hold it steady, but is there any tips on how to strengthen and become a more consistent archer with a tighter group? Seriously any tips would be much appreciated! I just want to do whatever I can to become a better archer with higher accuracy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
the answer ur not looking for is the one u will need.. only way u can get better is by shooting more, and shooting smaller.. If your target is on the ground, i know it helped me by putting soda cans in front of the target, and aiming for that.. One the soda can is brighter, and easier to see, so with out you knowing your aiming at a smaller target. eventually you can move the soda can and make your shots..

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Both previous posts are good info. The more you shoot the more accurate you will get, provided you aren't developing any bad habits. Aim small is very good info. Idk what target you are shooting, but take like a 1" bright colored sticker or something and place it on your target and aim for that. Your groups will tighten up in no time when you aim small

Edit: I don't agree with soda cans if you are shooting carbon arrows, one shot probably isn't gonna hurt. But repeated shots of a carbon arrow thru an alluminum soda can can't be good for the arrow

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Shoot at 5 yards for awhile until you get all X's then move back to 7 etc....also shoot less draw weight. Go as low as your bow can safely go. Lastly work on your grip. Probably one of the most important. Soft hand for bow arm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the response! I know practice is key, I go as much as I can, which is usually two times during the week and atleast one of the weekend days. I'm just trying to get tips to help get consistent faster, like is there something I could be doing while I'm sitting in class or sitting in a living room to help me even when I'm not at the range? I have been told my form is very good, so in that sense I don't believe I am developing any bad habits. I think my problem is building the muscles to keep the bow steadier. I notice my self after shooting for a few hours, that I have a hard time keeping steady on the x. Is it just something that just develops over time? Or is there something I can do to develop them faster?

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Work with a coach. It used to be that an archer could get good on his own without help. Some can still do it, but you will get really good years sooner if you can find the right coach.

Hopefully, your coach will teach you how to get your bow set up for optimum fit. It's hard for a beginner to really understand the importance of fit.

Good luck,
Allen

·
Registered
299 Posts
i use to shoot 50-100 shots a night in my parents basement. target was set at 10 yards... i got to where i could constitently hit quarters or bottle caps (whatever had laying around). i turned it into a little game shooting. tried shooting match tips off, pencils in half, robinhoods.

turn shooting into a competitive game. every shot try to one up yourself and naturally you will start getting better and better. shooting well doesnt happen over night but something you got to work towards. definitely go a see a coach or have someone check out your form. but in the end you got to shoot and shoot a lot.

·
Registered
299 Posts
also noticed you said you are having trouble holding bow steady after acouple hours of shooting. this is normal and could mean your shooting too much in one session. shooting when tired can lead to bad form, development of issues that will show up in normal shooting i.e. premature releasing, jerking triggers, or pulling the shot. so shoot when your comfortable and work hard on your form and follow thru. also dont strangle the bow let it fall on the shot. something that made me a better shot was shooting at distance, anything 50 yards and beyond. this will exagerate and form or flaws in your setup or you. i practice atleast once a week at 80+ yards, not only is it good for form, follow thru and getting your more confident in your short game but its also fun as hell.

·
Strive for perfection....
9,330 Posts
Archery is a love/hate game! As you get better, you will expect more out of yourself. Set realistic goals and make the sport fun. Some great advice has been given above..... If you want to go all in, here are the facts as I see them.

1. Get a coach and listen to his advice on everything from equipment to form.
2. Practice what he teaches, don't over do it. When you get tired, you will start to suck.
3. Keep it fun, if you ever get the urge to throw your bow into the woods, ya gotta take it down a notch or two.
4. Hit the classifieds like the rest of us crazy fanatics cause you will be able to find great stuff to make you shoot better! (Not really, just had to add this because once you get hooked on this sport, it's a passion!)

Welcome to the world of archery,......

·
Registered
448 Posts
With your statement of "I want tighter groups" don't put undo pressure on yourself everytime you release an arrow to stack it to the next one, you need to get to a place mentally where you know it will stack in with the group at twenty yards if you execute. I know I have better sessions when I'm relaxed and don't have a thousand other things I should be doing. Next time you shoot (assuming draw length and poundage are appropriate) try this.
Take your stance (big slow breath)
Draw the bow (relax)
Anchor point (Same place every time)
Acquire the peep and center the sight aperature
Relax and settle the pin on the target
With practice these will become habit and not a concious effort
For me I like to envision the shot before I realese (much like in golf)
Execute the release and follow through the same everytime (no peeking to see where it hit's, if you executed then you'll know right where it is)

Breaking it down to small steps you'll eventually start to feel when something wasn't right with the shot and know how to correct it.

·
Registered
52,633 Posts
also noticed you said you are having trouble holding bow steady after acouple hours of shooting. this is normal and could mean your shooting too much in one session. shooting when tired can lead to bad form, development of issues that will show up in normal shooting i.e. premature releasing, jerking triggers, or pulling the shot. so shoot when your comfortable and work hard on your form and follow thru. also dont strangle the bow let it fall on the shot. something that made me a better shot was shooting at distance, anything 50 yards and beyond. this will exagerate and form or flaws in your setup or you. i practice atleast once a week at 80+ yards, not only is it good for form, follow thru and getting your more confident in your short game but its also fun as hell.
Exactly too much shooting in one session is as bad as not practicing at all. Shoot until you start to feel fatigue---then put it down take a break or come back at another time. It doesn't matter how many shots you take, what does matter is the quality of the shots taken.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Hey guys! I am having a problem getting my arrows to group. I am somewhat new with archery and am having a tough time to get a consistent group. My bow is spot on (one of my buddies whose a skilled archer can get x's every time), and it has been paper tuned. I know my muscles are still developing to be able to hold it steady, but is there any tips on how to strengthen and become a more consistent archer with a tighter group? Seriously any tips would be much appreciated! I just want to do whatever I can to become a better archer with higher accuracy.
Four things things that have really helped me.

1. Make sure your DL is spot on. After 30 years of shooting the same DL I reduced mine by 1/2" this year and it has helped hold on target. Even a slightly long DL can hurt your groupings. Most bow shops set up customers with the DL to long.
2. Make sure your grip is correct. I know this sounds simple but it is critical to have the proper grip, for repeatable accuracy. You may not realize that you are torqueing your bow, this will seriously impact your group size.
3. Like others mentioned above, practice long range. When you start stepping out 10 - 20 yards further than your comfort range you will see marked improvement when you step back into your comfort range. Moving out to 70 yards has helped my group sizes at 50 yards.
4. Read all of Nuts & Bolts comments on form. There are a lot of small nuances to shooting better and you can learn a bunch from reading N & B's input. Study the pictures and make sure you correct the small form errors you may have. I had my kid take pictures of me at full draw from different angles and noticed I had some form flaws. I changed a bunch of stuff and it has helped.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts