Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm Krealitygroup. I'm a new archer that shoots alot. I was blessed wtih my setup last year. I would like to know how to get tighter groups. I practice daily about 50-100 shots, and I'm able to get 6 arrows into the size of a baseball at 25 yards. I shoot a Bear Whitetail II, with A Whisker Biscuit, an Old PSE 3 pin sight and a standard peep. I shoot Easton Gamgetter 300's at 29.5" with an 100 gr field point. Is there anything I can do to improve my form and get tighter groups. I like to put 6 in slightly larger than a golf ball.
Got a few questions

1: When placing the pin on the target (something dime sized) it eclispes that target somewhat, so the arrow would hit next to it
Once I attempt to compensate, by moving slighly left or right I end up making a small circle inside/around what I'd want to hit. Hence baseball sized groups
Do they have sights with smaller pins?

2: I saw a youtube video on floating the pin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhMnZXtrP-Q. That's ok if you're going for the vitals of a deer.
but for hitting smaller animals (moles, prarie dogs, squirells) is there any other technique I could use.

3: I was working on hitting dime sized groups at 25 yards. I have difficulty seeing that small that far.. What can I do to increase my vision?
I know sharpshooters can iron sight at 300 yards.

Please help me. I'm addicted to my bow. and I want to meet this goal before purchasing another bow.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Keep practicing form and forget about trying to hit such a small object. Focus on good execution and form and the shots will hit exactly where you want. You can make it hard or easy....the best make it easy.....totally your choice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey There.. thanks. I'm working at it. When I started, I couldn't hit the target at 20 yards. Now a year later, baseballs. Nothing beats practice
securedownload.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds pretty strong not to have target equipment and .10 pins on an extended bar and v bars stabilizers
Yup. I'm on an extreme budget. I've also heard a lot of ppl bash my bow. They say it's too heavy, loud, inaccurate at long distances. So I'm working to work miracles with it. my bow.jpg My eventual goal is to hit fist sized targets at 70 yards.. I gotta find a range close.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you shooting at a cup that was sitting on top of your target with you arrows hitting a board behind it?
Yup. I needed a smaller target to focus on. and the board stops the arrows. It kept going through the chain link fence and into my neighbor's shed

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
1) Shoot with both eyes open and focus on the target. You'll be able to see through the pin, kind of like the bug splatters on a windshield.

2) Floating the pin is what you want to do, regardless of target or size. Vegas spot shooters are floating and hitting a dime sized X ring from 20 yards, with the winners often doing it 30-60 times in a row. Float that pin, man. Never try to hold it perfectly still and command the shot.

3) Aim for the center of the center. Focus on as small of a point as possible. It's all about focus, the arrow will go where your focus is. Target sights can have magnified scopes attached, but they're hardly ideal if you're planning on hunting.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with those groups using the equipment you have there. Being able to keep a 2.5" group at 25 yards with your equipment is something you should already be proud of.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
In the future it would be more wise to prop the cup up in front of the layered target. :wink:
I agree.... Plus aluminum arrows can bend easily and the chain link along with a board is asking for bends.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree.... Plus aluminum arrows can bend easily and the chain link along with a board is asking for bends.
Man, you won't believe what I've killed my arrows. I've taken bent shafts. Taken wood dowels and hot glued arrows together.
Duct taped and hot glued where the crack was.. I try to get every dime out of my arrows. I've even taken the nock ends of the eastons and used them as blunts on wooden arrows.
Nothing goes to waste, but ID never do that again.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Man, you won't believe what I've killed my arrows. I've taken bent shafts. Taken wood dowels and hot glued arrows together.
Duct taped and hot glued where the crack was.. I try to get every dime out of my arrows. I've even taken the nock ends of the eastons and used them as blunts on wooden arrows.
Nothing goes to waste, but ID never do that again.

Quality arrows, as many perfectly matched as you can afford, are the key to awesome consistency. More important than the bow actually.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Robin hood hit bullseyes with a longbow... so it's not the equipment currency.

Good form is the first thing... Stabilizers would be second. You could go with older aluminum stabs, no need for carbon if on a budget.

Last, make sure your arrows are straight and consistently weighted (borrow a grain scale).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quality arrows, as many perfectly matched as you can afford, are the key to awesome consistency. More important than the bow actually.
I use game getter 300s with 100 grain field tips. For hunting, I hope to add zwickey eskimo 160 grains. What do you think about this setup. Penetration is really important

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I think the zwickeys are a little overkill for moles.....

I have a hunch about this thread :what:

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 30 Posts