Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an archery lesson a little under a month ago and am completely in love. The range is only open to the public 3 times a week, and I can't get there one of those nights. Would there be any benefit to a decent quality "toy" set of bow and arrows to practice at least my release and aim inside? My form is pretty decent, but I am struggling with both of those for sure. I'm in an apartment, so have nowhere outdoors to set up unfortunately. I would live to find a way to work on improving my skills in any way from home! I am using a 20# bow at the range, so am not the strongest, lol.

·
Registered
20,328 Posts
I -

No, or not safely anyway. It only takes one accident to loose your lease.

If you have to do some practicing at home, look up a "formaster".
The store bought one is pretty pricey for what it is (like obscenely pricey), but if you're creative you can make one for the price of a dog collar or two.
To add insult to injury, you will need to get your own bow.

Unfortunately, you will ultimately have to loose a number of arrows to see what's really happening.

And besides the obvious, there's no such thing as a toy bow.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh, good to know! I was thinking a nerf set type thing, but if even that is a bad idea indoors, I'd rather be safe than sorry, thanks. Will look up a formaster for sure, thanks!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I advise my novice pupils to practice 'air bow' and 'empty bow'. The idea is from people who practice 'air guitar' with rock and roll movements. Air bow in front of a mirror can help learn good posture, alignment, low shoulders and a bit of back squeeze.

Empty bow uses a strung bow but no arrow. It does a better job on all of the above plus helps build strength and endurance.

When you do get to the range you can benefit from empty bow and add an arrow for shoot/let down practice. Shoot/let down practice is excellent for gaining control of your shot sequence. You only proceed to shot execution when all feels right and the aim has settled. It is also great for treating target panic.

I was teaching several young girls when a father took an interest. He had target panic and was a snap shooter. I taught him to draw to anchor and hold until his daughter told him whether to shoot or let down. She made him let down the first three times. Good girl! Wives also enjoy telling a man what to do and having him do it. All women do. - lbg

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,139 Posts
I do a lot of practice with stretch bands in front of mirrors. I use the KSL Gold Elite trainer, which is very pricey, but you can get the standard KSL band. I also have three two inch continuous loops bands made by Champion. I got them from Target. You can easily spend 50% of you time working with stretch bands. I have watched Kisik Lee give lessons. He starts every lesson with a stretch band. If you can't do it with the band, you can't do it with the bow. You don't need to buy a bow to use a stretch band. And if you give up archery, you still have something to workout with.

I like the continuous loop two inch bands better than the three inch Pilate's straps that most folks use. For on thing, you don't need to tie a knot in them or grip them to make a band. You can also use them in parallel to get different weights. I use them in parallel with my KSL band when I want to increase weight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting……. got pics/instructions?
Picture a collar around your arm above the elbow, with enough nylon cable to reach a couple inches past your wrist.

Loop the cable onto the bow string, draw, release. The cable stops the string short instead of dry firing. If your form and back tension are good, then it stops there. If not, it will yank your arm forward with the string, but it's still slow enough to not be a dry fire. There are other tricks that it is good for too, but that's the biggie.

·
Registered
20,328 Posts
Marc -

Do a search for fromaster and limbwalker on the FITA forum.
He showed how to make one a few years back.

But if you look at the pictures of it, it's not really rocket science to put one together.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Is there an archery club near you that you can join?
My club runs $50 a year but has an indoor range as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's only two ranges within driving distance. One is open for shooting just 3 nights a week, and I'm not available one of those nights. The other range isn't offering memberships for the current year, is much more expensive and is further away. $50 is a steal, wow!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Double check there isn't another archery club somewhere you didn't know about. I'm pretty into this and periodically I find out about new clubs I'd never heard of that no one talks about. Park next town over like the park in my town, for instance.

You don't know anyone at the second club who can get you in periodically as a guest? I'm not talking invite yourself but I know people who if they want to go shoot at certain places, I invite them.

Within limits of health and good sense get in as many arrows as you can on the days you can, until you can join the second club. Once you join the second club you may find that going to one works with work hours and another works on weekends. Or that one place becomes useful outdoors in the long summer days but less useful in the dark of winter. For working people I don't think it's cold-blooded to visit more than one range to suit your schedule.

Formmaster is a good idea. You can also do strength training exercises like holding at anchor (no arrow) for 20-30 seconds a rep, about 10 reps, maybe a couple sets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've talked to other people at the range as well as done searches and nope, there isn't anything else I can get to. I flat out can't afford the membership at the other place as well as hours at the current range. Current range runs $10 - $15 an hour roughly depending on how much time you buy at once and I'm at the point of having to choose between saving for a bow of my own vs being able to spend more time on the range. I haven't lived in the area long and don't know many folks, and none yet who have a membership at the second place.

Definitely working in the strength training stuff I can do at home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, makes me grateful. Local range is $5/hour, but I have room in the backyard (go go privacy fence and screw-out field points!). It might be worth checking with the local town or county parks and rec people... turns out there's a "Community Archery Park" one town over that I wasn't aware of until very recently.

-GB

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Maybe setup a short range indoor range with smaller targets.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Wow, makes me grateful. Local range is $5/hour, but I have room in the backyard (go go privacy fence and screw-out field points!). It might be worth checking with the local town or county parks and rec people... turns out there's a "Community Archery Park" one town over that I wasn't aware of until very recently.

-GB
$5/hour is a great price. Range prices here are $12 to $20 per hour.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts