Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting my 6 year old son into archery so he can shoot with dad. I don't want to spend a ton of money though because who knows if the interest will last a lifetime or a day.

Any thoughts on the best cheap setup for him?

·
Registered
447 Posts
my dad got me started wit one of the ol red recurves.
you could always try that

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I got my son a Bear Brave. Cheap, he likes it, and if he givs up for a while I don't have a 200$ bow sitting around.

·
Registered
524 Posts
my 6 year old son has a bow called the brave someone gave it to him, They said they bought it at Wally World. Whole setup for 40-50 bucks. It works great for a youngster to fling some arrows.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
The Mini genesis is a pretty good bow for the money, I think you can get one of them for about 60 bucks all set up and ready to go. I wouldnt reccomend a cheaper one because they tend to break easy. A mini genesis though should be pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My advice

I would get the best set-up you can to start with (mission menace, whisper creek phantom, mathews genisis) He will benifit from a better set-up and keep his interest longer if he can consistently hit the target. You can get these used and always resell the equipment if he doesn't have the desire. But he will be alot better off to start him in the right direction equipment wise to start with. Also what helped my daughters keep interest and want to learn is take it real slow and use visual targets such as balloons with a bit of baby powder or flour inside that will blow up when hit. Any more advice feel free to ask thats what we are here for!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How accurate is the typical 6 year old? Do they use a sight of some sort or is it just shooting instinctual?

Thanks for all the advice on equipment. If anyone sees a good deal on a used setup that can be shipped let me know. Maybe I can talk my wife into it if is reasonable enough for decent equipment.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
accuracy

At first don't expect much, what I did is had them watch me and shoot my exploding balloons that got them really fired up. Start him really close be patient and you will be surprised. JOAD is also a great program. My eight year old shoots balloons consistently out to 25 yards and my five year old out to fifteen after that they just don't have the poundage yet to get it done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Mini Genesis is a good choice. Resale after it is out grown should be pretty good I think.

• 29 1/8" axle-to-axle length
• 6 1/8" brace height
• Adjustable draw weight 6-12 pounds
• Draw length range of 14-25 inches
• 2 pounds mass weight
• Carbon cable guard
• Four popular flavors (red cherry, blue raspberry, black licorice and camo)
• 77 11/16" string length
• 30 13/16" cable length

·
Registered
33 Posts
we had a 6 yr. old start with a genisis at 10 yds. he now has robin hood under his belt at 11 yrs. old ! so start them close and you'll be surprised at how good they get.:wink:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Starting a kid out can go a few ways....When my Boys were little, I shot Longbows/Recurves...So, thats what THEY wanted...if "Dad" shoots a compoind, then thats probably what They will want....But, a cheapy bow can be had easily, until the kids want a better one, or show enough interest in sticking with it....My Son's first bows were Osage bows that I made them...Shooting in Cub classes. it was good enough for them...By the time they would have wanted/needed a "Real" bow, they were into Sports, skateboards, BMX bikes, etc.etc...my Daughter has a really nice little flatbow that I made her out of a red oak board, and a PSE kids/Youth compound...She doesnt shoot much anymore, but when She did, She prefered the simplicity and "FUN" of shooting the bow I made Her...Let the child decide...If You want to make a little bow, P.M. Me, and I'll help You out...Take care...Harperman

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 6 yr. old started shooting a pse (something-mother buy it at a yard sale) when he was 4. Last year he got a cheap one from Dick's sporting goods, and has been pretty good. He shoots it almost daily. His interest was started, one because I shoot a lot and secondly I take him to walk with me during tournaments. Due to his interest for his birthday he will receive the Mission Menices.

I would find a used youth bow and allow him to attend shoot and other event where children his age are participating. That is what worked for me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Exactly

I would get the best set-up you can to start with (mission menace, whisper creek phantom, mathews genisis) He will benifit from a better set-up and keep his interest longer if he can consistently hit the target. You can get these used and always resell the equipment if he doesn't have the desire. But he will be alot better off to start him in the right direction equipment wise to start with. Also what helped my daughters keep interest and want to learn is take it real slow and use visual targets such as balloons with a bit of baby powder or flour inside that will blow up when hit. Any more advice feel free to ask thats what we are here for!
This is exactly how I got my son started when he was 6 years old, though it was 15 years ago, I bought him a PSE 15# compound,which could go to 20# and increased draw length, It looked exactly like a big boys bow, magnesium riser, cams etc. He loved it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mission Menace is a great starter bow. Lots of adjustment and not bad $$$. More important is keep it fun if he wants to do it because its fun then the sky's the limit.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Fantastic

If your not looking to spend $100 or more the one I would recommend would be the Martin Tiger. We bought 4 for the youth program at our club and they worked great and are inexpensive rugged and fail safe with the rest built into the middle of the riser. I promise you will not be dissapointed. You can get them online, just the bow or a kit, or from any archery dealer for $50-$70.Look to spend $100 or more on the mini gen., fuse freestyle (whisper creek phantom), Mission or Diamond nuclear ice. Keep in mind I doubt he will be ablee to pull more than 10#s very comfortably to start. You want the beginning to be easy and body wrenching free to develope decent form. Its just one less thing to have to work on with them.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
just talk to him about it tell him that being a good shot runs in the family and people that shoot good make tons of money. kids love money......hell i cant think of anyone that dont. if he dont like shooting then he dont like it try getting him into it when he is older if he dosnt like it now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts