Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Switchback XT is super smooth and quiet, but not as "peppy" as I would like. At 63#'s and a 29" draw, its shooting 29" Easton Axis 400's right at 250 fps. Not a terrible speed to be at, but certainly not a barn burner either. I would really like to be around 275-280 fps. I know my Axis arrows have a lot to do with the speed loss, so I'm open to any suggestions for a lighter weight arrow that's still tough enough for hunting. I'll be shooting a cut on contact broadhead to maximize penetration. I'm shooting 2" Blazers and 100 gr. tips with good accuracy now, but I'm still up for any other opinions. Thanks in advance folks
Schoolcraft

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
SHoot a lighter arrow. maxima 250 with 85 grain head will put you right there. Carbon tech cheetah will put you a lot higher. Just get a lighter arrow or pump up the poundage.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'd try the Maxima 350s with your setup. You should be in the 280 range. I'm getting about 284 with my setup. 05 SB, 61#, 28" draw, Maxima 250s, 27 1/2 arrows, 2" blazers and 85 grain tips.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
jre4192 said:
Wow!! A Matthews shooter that posted an honest speed! Whats the world coming to?
Gee, another useless response that has absolutely nothing to do with a topic. Who'd a thunk it :rolleyes:

At any rate, to stay on topic and answer the question, SCHOOLCRAFT, lowering overall arrow weight or boosting the poundage up are about the only options you have off the bat. However, how much stuff do you have on your string? Are you shooting a loop or brass nock? Silencers? Does your peep have tubing?

Eliminating string weight will also help you reach the speed you are looking for.

·
Reverend
6,940 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
... lowering overall arrow weight or boosting the poundage up are about the only options you have off the bat. However, how much stuff do you have on your string? Are you shooting a loop or brass nock? Silencers? Does your peep have tubing?
Eliminating string weight will also help you reach the speed you are looking for.

Yea, what he said. I'd get rid of brass nocks and peep tubing if you have it. Also, you may want to get custom strings and experiment with speed nocks on the string.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on the string.........

Only thing on the string is a G5 Meta peep, a brass nock, and a rubber eliminator button. (I'm shooting off of the string) I do have a few extra eliminator buttons slid down low by the cam so I can just slide the up the string as they wear out. More poundage is not really an option since the bow is a 50-60 lb model maxed at 63 lbs.
Keep the advice coming folks, its very welcomed

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
SCHOOLCRAFT said:
Only thing on the string is a G5 Meta peep, a brass nock, and a rubber eliminator button. (I'm shooting off of the string) I do have a few extra eliminator buttons slid down low by the cam so I can just slide the up the string as they wear out. More poundage is not really an option since the bow is a 50-60 lb model maxed at 63 lbs.
Keep the advice coming folks, its very welcomed

Well, you may want to consider switching to a loop as opposed to the brass nock and eliminator button, that should help a tad. Also, maybe try positioning the extra buttons so they act as speed buttons and not just dead weight on the string. Aside from that, switching to a lighter arrow and making sure your bow is in spec and in tune are about the only suggestions I have bud.

Good luck!! :wink:

·
NC ASA Director
35,988 Posts
Make sure your timing holes are parallel with the string.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts