Archery Talk Forum banner

how to hold a mathews grip

2502 34
I'm having trouble with my smitchback xt. I can't seem how to hold the grip. I'm very inconsistent, and more often than not I'm torquing the bow. I know theres a fair amount of people that dislike the grip, but how was it designed to be shot?
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
I know one thing about Mathews wood grips: you like them, or you hate them :rolleyes:
I already don't know how to grip it. I put a Shrewd grip on my old Q2XL and what a change, it was a new bow! and now the Apex-7 grip is OK for me.
Mathews makes an integral grip on their main target bows, not the classic wood grip, and it means something... :rolleyes:

· Registered
7,438 Posts
All I can tell ya is I tried to figure that out myself, ended up taking mine off and reshaping it like a torquless.

· Registered
166 Posts
I went through the same problems for years. My answer to your question is:
The best way to hold a Mathews grip is.....over a trash can then release quickly!!!
Buy a Torqueless grip, you will not regret it. :wink:

· Registered
1,089 Posts
You hold the grip with your thumb and index finger. Then use your other hand and its fingers to open the lid to the trash can. Release thumb and index fingers from grip while it is over the open trash can lid. Problem solved

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Here's my preferred method, fingers lightly closed and left pretty much in the position they are normally relaxed. no finger arounds the riser = no torque influence. Sling required.

Would still rather have an aftermarket grip, but this works for me until then.

Most of the pressure should be felt on or just inside the large muscle at base of the thumb, not down the center of the palm. With practice you can learn to relax that muscle at full draw, and feel the grip sink solid against your hand.

Sorry for the ginormous fuzzy cell phone pics.

Attachments

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FOBsKILL I'll try that again tomarrow, and let you know the progress. I'm not saying I like or dislike the grip yet. I'm just not real sure how to use it. I'm sure when properly used it will give me satisfactory results. I'll post my outcome. I'm still not positive that the bow is perfectly tuned either.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
FOBsKILL I'll try that again tomarrow, and let you know the progress. I'm not saying I like or dislike the grip yet. I'm just not real sure how to use it. I'm sure when properly used it will give me satisfactory results. I'll post my outcome. I'm still not positive that the bow is perfectly tuned either.
I think the key misnomer here is the word "grip", but I guess it's a better description than "area where the shooter should place his bow hand":wink:

I do preffer the aftermarket torque-less style grips, but the ones I currently have are aluminum, and they tend to get a little chili after a few hours in a tree stand.

· bowaholic
1,964 Posts
Well I fought with the grip on my old Outback and finally got smart and bought a torqueless grip for it and problem solved. As far as how to shoot the stock grip I haven't got a clue(it's way to big of a grip for me).

· Registered
362 Posts
grip

I my self like some of the other guys ideas about holding it over the trash can and release quickly or file 13. Get a tourqless grip or just take it off and wrap it with some tennis racket tape work great and comfortable too...:confused:

· Registered
475 Posts
Why won't Mathews change their grip for god sakes. About 1 in 10 people like it. My buddy has a new DXT and with a stock grip that thing is plain hard to shoot.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Mathews is the real culprit for deforestation! Their grips are huge! Try a slim wrap-around custom grip similar to that of a Diamond Liberty/Justice.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
It's not you my friend! I've never seen a manufacturer be so stubborn about making a change when so many have recommended it for so long. I went to a Torqueless for the Switch. , completely different bow!:wink:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.