Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than having it certified is they anyway to measure a spring scale to make sure it is reading the correct weight using items at home??

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
What range? Grains? A few pounds? 50-70lbs?

A nickel weighs exactly 5 grains. Stack as many as you need.

You can buy and weight (at the store) a few bags flour/sugar.

Or take a 5 gallon bucket of sand/dirt/water( about 50-60) to a feed store. Or just take your scale to somewhere you usually deal with, weigh stuff and check it against theirs. Or take your bow and scale to a shop and check it against theirs. IF you know theirs is correct.

I took my bow to 2 shops and had it checked, then took it home and used mine. Turns out my bow scale is 2# low at 70.

·
styger
1,132 Posts
Calibration weights. You can get them on Amazon. Check your scales calibration instructions for proper weight.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking my draw weight scale. never thought about taking a bucker of sand to the feed store. That may work.

thanks
Reed

·
(aka lug nut)
48,354 Posts
Other than having it certified is they anyway to measure a spring scale to make sure it is reading the correct weight using items at home??
2 liter bottle of soda. Density of water is 1 gm per cc, so 1000 cc = 1 liter = 1 kg. 2 liters of water/soda should weight 2 kg = 4.41 lbs. So, 14 two-liter bottles of soda will be 28 kg = 61.7 lbs (if we ignore the plastic bottle weight). So, 16 two-liter bottles of soda will be 32 kg = 70.6 lbs. I use paracord and tie two bottles together. Then, I attach the pair of two liter bottles of soda to the spring scale.

·
Member # 75
3,483 Posts
Shot for reloading shotgun shells is sold in 25 pound bags. Given the picky nature of skeet and trap shooters, you can likely be confident that a 25 pound bag of target grade 7.5 shot will be exactly 25 pounds.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shot for reloading shotgun shells is sold in 25 pound bags. Given the picky nature of skeet and trap shooters, you can likely be confident that a 25 pound bag of target grade 7.5 shot will be exactly 25 pounds.
I should be able to get a hold of that from a few friends,

thanks

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I checked my bow on 3 different hanging scales at two different shops and mine at home. All 3 scales were the same brand, I believe. They all showed different results. Some by as much as 3-4 # difference.

I would not trust any scale to use as a guide unless I knew it was recently calibrated and certified.

In terms of a small grain scale, get yourself a calibrated weight and you will be good to go.

Luckily I have both a hanging spring scale and a digital inline scale for my draw board. That way I can check one against the other.

Skeet.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,273 Posts
Tie some dumbbells together and hang them on the scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I would use......you can get weights cheap at Play it again sports, garage sales etc....or barrow some from a friend. I have used the weights with holes (for bar bells) because they are easier to hang. Even they are not perfect but plenty close for what you are doing.

Get an amount that is very close to your draw weight and do a comparison.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
1 liquid gallon of pure water weighs approx 8.3 lbs at 62 degrees F. Using a combination of containers and a fairly accurate measuring device for the water you should be able to get very close to the target weight you are wanting to measure on the spring scale.

For instance, 2 gals of water will weigh about 17.7 lbs if wanting to check amount of holding weight on a 70lb/75% let off bow (17.5 lbs).
8 gals of water weighs about 66.6 lbs, which if the scale is accurate there, it probably also will be around 70 lbs for draw weight.

If using 2 liter bottles, measure the water that you put into the bottle and then mark a line on the bottle where it is exactly 2 liters. Don't just fill it full and assume that it is right. Same with "gallon" containers. Some gallon containers have "dry" gallons marked on them. A liquid gallon is 231 cubic inches which is 8.3 lbs of water. A dry gallon is 1/8 bushel, or about 269 cubic inches so if filled with water would weigh about 9.7 lbs.

On a large container like a 5 gal bucket, it would be best to weigh the bucket to get a close reading on its additional weight. For instance, a 5 gallon utility bucket from Lowes weighs a little over 1 3/4 lbs.

jmtcw

Go

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
1 liquid gallon of pure water weighs approx 8.3 lbs at 62 degrees F. Using a combination of containers and a fairly accurate measuring device for the water you should be able to get very close to the target weight you are wanting to measure on the spring scale.

For instance, 2 gals of water will weigh about 17.7 lbs if wanting to check amount of holding weight on a 70lb/75% let off bow (17.5 lbs).
8 gals of water weighs about 66.6 lbs, which if the scale is accurate there, it probably also will be around 70 lbs for draw weight.

If using 2 liter bottles, measure the water that you put into the bottle and then mark a line on the bottle where it is exactly 2 liters. Don't just fill it full and assume that it is right. Same with "gallon" containers. Some gallon containers have "dry" gallons marked on them. A liquid gallon is 231 cubic inches which is 8.3 lbs of water. A dry gallon is 1/8 bushel, or about 269 cubic inches so if filled with water would weigh about 9.7 lbs.

On a large container like a 5 gal bucket, it would be best to weigh the bucket to get a close reading on its additional weight. For instance, a 5 gallon utility bucket from Lowes weighs a little over 1 3/4 lbs.

jmtcw

Go
that's kind of what I did, I had to get water today anyway, so I measured 2 5 gallon jugs. both came out to 41 lbs on my digital bathroom scale, tied together they had an average 82 on my spring scale, so I will go with it is close LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts