Archery Talk Forum banner

How to justify buying a new bow every year...

1305 Views 24 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Mr. October
...or at least try to rationalize yourself into thinking this way!!

I have been buying and selling Bowtechs for 4 years now.....without fail...Bowtech always manages to come out with something "better" or shall I say MORE DESIREABLE each year.

Well....maybe, just maybe if you can think like I do....this may ease the pain of shelling out BIG BUCKS every year..

Think of getting a new bow as not an outright buy...but sort of a

LEASE....a lease??

Yes, indeed fellas...a lease......you can always sell your $750 bow from last year on ebay or AT for say $500...

yup....take the $250 hit..........own that new bow you and all of your AT buddies are salivating over....

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

I don't know............my 82nd has been awfully good to me so far........I have killed a number of deer with it...no complaints........drives arrows thru the deer and 3 - 5 inches into the ground....plenty fast enough...etc..etc...

My 2007 Commander that I got for $425 brand new was one helluva a deal...gonna be kinda hard to top that one...

Ah....maybe I will wait..............economic times are tough....etc..etc...

You guys that have yet to own a Bowtech and are thinking of getting one are awfully lucky right now.....you will NOT be disappointed...
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8,684 Posts

I have been buying and selling Bowtechs for 4 years now.....without fail...Bowtech always manages to come out with something "better" or shall i say MORE DESIREABLE each year.

Well....maybe, just maybe if you can think like I do....this may ease the pain of shelling out BIG BUCKS every year..

LEASE....a lease??

Yes, indeed fellas...a lease......you can always sell your $750 bow from last year on ebay or AT for say $500...

yup....take the $250 hit..........own that new bow you and all of your AT buddies are salivating over....

I don't know............my 82nd has been awfully good to me so far........I have killed a number of deer with it...no complaints........drives arrows thru the deer and 3 - 5 inches into the ground....plenty fast enough...etc..etc...

My 2007 Commander that I got for $425 brand new was one helluva a deal...gonna be kinda hard to top that one...

What they come out with every year isn't better, just more of it .

If it were better everyone would have a positve track on their score keeping system constanly going up. that don't happen do it? :):)

For a target shooter why is the new one better? once you reach 300's indoor it ain't the bow keepin the X count down. so what ya need a new on for? Same for any outdoor venue.

I can't justify and I ain't buyin into the new bow bull..S.......

· Registered
5,806 Posts
I haven't bought a new bow since '04. Everyone selling thier year old bows has been good to me.:wink: This is the year I take the plunge though. I shot the Admiral, and I'm waiting to shoot the Captain and the Sentinel before I decide.:)

· Lowered expectations
20,236 Posts
BUY, BUY. BUY!!!! A new bow - no, TWO new bows a year. And don't resell the old ones - other people have to buy NEW BOWS EVERY YEAR!!!

It helps the economy - anything less and you're being totally unpatriotic!!!

:wink:

· Registered
108 Posts
I used to buy a couple of new bows every year and take the hit. Then I finally realized, why? I can spend less money on a new Ruger or Smith and sell it in 10 years for more than I paid for it new. :eek:

· Registered
4,056 Posts

I have been buying and selling Bowtechs for 4 years now.....without fail...Bowtech always manages to come out with something "better" or shall I say MORE DESIREABLE each year.

LEASE....a lease??

You guys that have yet to own a Bowtech and are thinking of getting one are awfully lucky right now.....you will NOT be disappointed...
LOL I am laughing out loud! well lets see if bowtech can get it right and have no recalls first! Faster isn't always better! how about smooth, accurate and consistant and forgiving with no harsh draw curve! How about dependability and toughness? I have an idea lets get rid of all the hype and trying to make it look cool (for marketing reasons )and just make it well balanced, accurate and dependable! oh I am sorry there is already a bow company that does that HOYT!

· Premium Member
8,891 Posts

yup....take the $250 hit..........own that new bow you and all of your AT buddies are salivating over.
$250 Hit? You are doing REAL well if that's all you're losing.

Frankly, my favorite ATer's are the "new bow every year guys".

As you suspected, the difference between bows from year to year is actually microscopic. In fact even 5 years, or at least, the last five years, won't make much difference, and you are losing to cost of an elk hunt every three years with an annual swapout.

But I'm all for ya :wink:

· Registered
435 Posts
I don't know if I can rationalize it but in the last 5 years I have bought 2 Bears, 2 Martins, 1 Reflex, 1 Mathews, 3 Bowtechs, and plan on adding a PSE and maybe an APA this year. Maybe im just nuts!?

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Lol

LOL I am laughing out loud! well lets see if bowtech can get it right and have no recalls first! Faster isn't always better! how about smooth, accurate and consistant and forgiving with no harsh draw curve! How about dependability and toughness? I have an idea lets get rid of all the hype and trying to make it look cool (for marketing reasons )and just make it well balanced, accurate and dependable! oh I am sorry there is already a bow company that does that HOYT!
Now that's funny right there

· Registered
895 Posts
What the heck was that all about? Calm down man. If you dont like em you dont have to buy them. Sorry that everybody doesnt shoot a Hoyt. Would that put you in a better mood?

· Reverend
6,951 Posts
I like the lease mentality, but would like to add a word of wisdom: Don't make the mistake I made a few years back. NEVER NEVER NEVER sell your old bow to buy your new one. Make sure your new one is broken in before selling your old one...
Additionally, it would be a good idea to keep that old one as a back-up. You never know when Murphy will show up.

As far as justification to buy a new one, my personal preference is not to buy one unless the newer one is significantly better; meaning more efficient, faster, quieter, more accurate, etc.

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
Heck I'm still making due with an 04 Hoyt. :) It still shoots perfect so absolutely zero reason to shell out cash every single year to buy something new. I mean if you have the money to waste then go for it. I mean I think it's stupid, but hey lots of people love to get their new toys each year. But to me blowing that money every single year thats alot of wasted money that could have used towards something much better.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
Billy, you have to understand thats easier to say and do with a Hoyt than other brands.Hoyt has less than 40% marketshare so there are alot of lost souls out there. :cry:

· tmolina
2,075 Posts
I rarely buy a new bow from a bow shop(haven't done it since 95). I will sell my current bow and get another one each season from the classifieds here on AT though. I no problem with that and I try to stay around $500....
TM
PS- In '09 I want a TX-4 that shoots 361fps:embara:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.