Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to know what draw I am currently using what is the best way to do this?

get someone to mark the arrow at full draw?

and if so , where would the mark be made , would you eyeball the one of the holes in the riser, the grip???

Thanks
Francis

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Go to a pro shop and they "should" have a cheap stick bow with an arrow with a 3 foot measuring stick on it.
Or if you have a sewing tape measure hold one end in your bow hand and the other in your draw hand and draw back t where you think your anchor is.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Draw should be to the low point of the grip + 1 3/4". So have someone mark the arrow at that point.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
use the cross measurement, make a cross with your arms held out and have someone measure you from the tip of each index finger across your body to the other arm index finger. the measurment is your true draw length as example if its measres:

70 inch 27.5 draw
71 28.0
72 28.5
73 29.0
74 29.5
75 30.0

or go to the storm archery site and look at the chart under technical how to measure for your bow

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys but thats what I am wondering , 1 3/4 inch from the low part of the grip, is one of the threaded holes in the riser meant for this measurement?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not always. I believe that the measurement is taken from the pivot point in the grip. That measurement is often times called your true draw, since it is static, can really never change as it represents the distance your body must conform to as your personal or true draw length. Then add 1 and 3/4" for AMO DL.

·
Registered
745 Posts
absolute true draw method. nock a arrow and mark a line on the arrow where the tip of the rest is at. Then pull back the bow and at full draw mark a line on the arrow at the tip of the rest. Then measure your brace height. Now measure the distance between the two lines and add that to the brace height. Whatever measurement you come up with just add 13/4" and that is the true draw. It sounds a little complicated but once you do it once it becomes a breeze. The reason I use this method is that some manufactures stretch their speed by moving the burger button. I found that once you find a good draw right down the number and you will be able to use it on any bow no matter what brand. A somewhat example would be. If your arrow measurement and brace hight equal 271/4". That would make it a 29" draw by adding 13/4".

·
Registered
745 Posts
the tip of the rest has nothing to do with the grip. You could use anything as a reference point. What you are finding out is the stroke plus the brace height.
What part of kansas are you from.

·
Registered
275 Posts
think about it.....the deepest part of the grip gives you the most consistant accurate measurement that you can get. It conforms to your body. Then add the AMO measurement. The front of the rest or burger button hole as some call it varies from bow company to bow company. And bow companies are too often, yes i will say it, are simply market driven. It they can pump up speed and AMO ratings, most will. So, go with a constant calculation.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Crawpytime, I see, I see. I was thinking a little backwards for a while. That method would work very well.

I think I shot with you Sunday in Kingman.

Darrell

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Crawpy, Are you kidding????? I baled out as soon as I payed Tom. It was going to take waaaaaayyyyyy too long and I was shooting like crap!

I take it you didn't hang around either?

Darrell

1 - 15 of 15 Posts