·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tricks to it?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Scrape off as much of the remaining flesh from the tooth. then all I do is put them in my pants pocket and walk around with them for a week or two. Does a very good job pluss you get to show them off. Dont use any type of solvents on them. and keep them out of the sun. they will bleach out to white. Some people will even place them in coffie grounds for awhile. I didn't like the way they turned yellow. If you walk around with them in your pocket dont have any change or pocket knife with them it could scratch them up. This pollishes them very nice....

·
Anti Fanboy
46,206 Posts
Scrape off as much of the remaining flesh from the tooth. then all I do is put them in my pants pocket and walk around with them for a week or two. Does a very good job pluss you get to show them off. Dont use any type of solvents on them. and keep them out of the sun. they will bleach out to white. Some people will even place them in coffie grounds for awhile. I didn't like the way they turned yellow. If you walk around with them in your pocket dont have any change or pocket knife with them it could scratch them up. This pollishes them very nice....
This is what I did as well. Works great.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEP! Just put them in your pocket with some loose change. In a few weeks they will shine.
If you walk around with them in your pocket dont have any change or pocket knife with them it could scratch them up. This pollishes them very nice....
So should i have change or not?

·
Registered
491 Posts
how do you get them out of the elks mouth without breaking them??
i shove a 2x4 in their mouth and butt it up against the ivories. a couple swift wacks with a 5 lb hammer on the end of the 2x4 and they pretty much pop right out. might take alittle digging after the 2x4 trick, but easier than digging them out from scratch. never had one break.

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
I was told to put them in my pocket for a couple of weeks with a bunch of quarters. I did this and mine are nice and shiny with no scratches. I used a strong knife point and just dug them out. They came out pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! Will be trying the change in the pocket :thumbs_up

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've never had a 2x4 or a five pound hammer nearby while quartering an elk! Just cut with your knife deeply in front of the ivory down to the jaw bone then give the knife a twist and they come right out with a bit of wiggling. Leave the 5lb hammer at home.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I've never had a 2x4 or a five pound hammer nearby while quartering an elk! Just cut with your knife deeply in front of the ivory down to the jaw bone then give the knife a twist and they come right out with a bit of wiggling. Leave the 5lb hammer at home.

+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts