Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how to prepare spurs for display? I want to know from being on the bird to finally product. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
i usually cut them on each side of the spur and peel the scales let them sit in salt foe a while then polish them up and put them a string for necklace or show

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah i agree my wife and i both think that turkey feet are a bit voodoo witchcraft lookn. . . so i cut about 1/2-3/4" above and below the spur clean off all the remaining meat clean out the marrow and polish the bone up and put it on a leather cord.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Same as the above posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. What do you mean/how do you polish. Once you clean do you need to put anything on them to preserve? Will a hack saw cut through bone and not spliter it?

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
I posted a thread on this before but can not seem to find it. Here are some pictures with the shortcut version on how I do it.

You will need the following:
Borax
A higher concentrate peroxide
Razor blade knife
Hack saw or dremel tool with cut-off wheel

After cutting the leg both above and below the spur you take a razor knife and cut off all the skin. If you do this within a few days of killing your bird it is no problem removing the skin, otherwise you may wnat to have a pair of pliers handy to help pull the skin once you have it cut.

They should look something like this after scraping.

Now I put them in a pot of boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes

After taking them out and scraping any residue off that is still on them I then stick the bone ONLY into a cup of the high volume peroxide.

I then roll the bone ONLY in Borax and let set for a couple of weeks on a paper plate.

After a couple of weeks are up you can scrape off the borax and the finished product should look similar to the picture below, I usually take the dremel tool to it and cut the leg bone as short as possible on either side of the spur.
The ones pictured below have not been dremeled yet.

Hope this helps and Good luck turkey hunting everyone....:thumbs_up

Clean and scrape as much off of the bone as possible.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
the boiling doesn t ruin em?
never boiled em before

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
the boiling doesn t ruin em?
never boiled em before
It loosens anything that you have not scraped off yet and boils out the blood underneath the skin of the spur.
I have been doing it for years and have never had it ruin a set to date.. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
thanks i m gonna try it

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Thanks GSLAM, may have to try it

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
where do you get high% perixode?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
where do you get high% perixode?
Van ***** Taxidermy

I do it the pretty much the same way as GSLAM95. I don't boil them, but I do run them under hot water for the same amount of time. I also take a scalpel and lightly scrape each spur to remove any nicks or loose nail. This just makes them look cleaner. Then after they dry I seal the spur only with clear acrylic nail polish. I have spurs that are 20 years old that still look great.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
If you have a cool storage area to keep it you may want to purchase a gallon of "Baquacil Shock" from your local pool chemical supplier.
This is the strongest strength of peroxide you can buy and needs to be diluted for use but works very well.
A gallon will run around $25 and last for years if you are just brightening a few spurs and big game skulls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts