Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm having a slight disagreement with a friend of mine about how to properly use a peep sight. While we both have the same bow (draw length, poundage, sight, peep, everything) He anchors so that his peep rests inside the sight ring. I am the opposite I set the contrast ring inside my scope to the inside of my peep. Is one the proper way to do things? I know that if my peep rotates on mine I notice and it will throw off my group but his setup just seems to be "unreliable" I guess you might say. We both group shots at 20 and 30 but at 40 and beyond my groups tend to stay tighter. I have less archery experience than him so I do not think it is that I am the better archer. When shooting each others bow its always off I'm assuming that is because the different anchors and such. Anywho, anyone who could let me know how to properly use a peep please post and let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremiah Blackwell
Owner
Black Hawk Arms

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Welcome to AT Jeremiah! A peep sight should be chosen (or sight bar adjusted) so that the sight housing fits inside the peep field of view. So, it sounds like you are using the peep in the most effective way.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback and the welcome. We have the trophy ridge react on our bows and I noticed when I try to shoot with his and place the peep inside the sight ring you cant see the level. also I have to pull my head so far back to do so I had only the corner of my mouth as an anchor. with the way mine is set up I can place my nose on the string my knuckle against my cheek and the arrow vane barely touches my lip. I know exactly (or close) to when I have the bow drawn back to the same point. I attribute this to my increased accuracy am I wrong?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Baratta, but I'm not sure pee size is the issue here. I see fine through mine and he has the same peep he just instead of looking through it he sorta looks around it. He centers the peep inside the sight ring instead of the sight ring within the peep. A larger peep would force him to change this however, so I see your point. Would him putting the peep inside the sight ring possibly make the pins blur after a while?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read your original post fully. I picked the right peep size so that when at my anchor I can see the outside ring of my sight including the bubble level at the bottom. I originally had too small a peep (1/8") and couldn't see the outer ring of the sight while at anchor, I tried a 1/4" peep and it was too big making it harder to hold the sight fully centered. I switched to a 3/16" peep and it was just right :)

I don't know exactly what would cause the pins to blur but I try to focus on the target and not the pins. When I focus on the target the pins are a little soft (i.e. out of focus) but depending on how good his eyes are he may have a different experience. Also when my peep was too low on the string I would have trouble focusing because I was looking up the peep as my head was bent down too much (hopefully this makes sense), that gave me a head ache after shooting too much.

Hope this helps ...

Berardino

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was very helpful thank you again. He doesn't complain of headaches but he doesn't practice as much as I do maybe because it is a strain for him and giving him headaches. All i know is he needs to get his **** straight before the last week of September. He got lucky and won the moose lottery 1st year he entered so we got a bull moose to take down in a lil more than a month.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Thank you for the feedback and the welcome. We have the trophy ridge react on our bows and I noticed when I try to shoot with his and place the peep inside the sight ring you cant see the level. also I have to pull my head so far back to do so I had only the corner of my mouth as an anchor. with the way mine is set up I can place my nose on the string my knuckle against my cheek and the arrow vane barely touches my lip. I know exactly (or close) to when I have the bow drawn back to the same point. I attribute this to my increased accuracy am I wrong?
Same thing here. I had to go from a 1/8 peep to a 1/4 peep.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
If you are trying to determine by shooting his that wont work.

distance from eye to peep effects how mych field of view one sees

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand that Garceau. Im not trying to determine by shooting his though I can we are the same build, height, arm length. only thing he has on me is about a decade of years. When he looks through through (or more accurately "at") his peep he centers the peep inside the sight housing which because of how a peep works leads me to believe he needs to pull his anchor back a lil so that the peep is closer to his eye. being that we are the same draw length (measured and on the bow) it is entirely possible. Either that or get a larger peep. I contacted Mathews and the people at Trophy Ridge about this as well they got back to me by email this morning confirming what the 1st response was.

·
Back Yard Champion
32,543 Posts
Any no two people are the same. I don't want to see anything in my peep but the pin, don't care whether it's hunting or target shooting..... Yes, housing completely out of the picture.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I always though when look through your peep you should see the outer ring of your scope housing keeping both your peep and scope ring to ring centered. Am wrong on this/?

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Larger peep, centering the housing may be a little easier, but not a precise. Smaller peep centering the individual pin, and not worrying about the housing, more precise, but a little more difficult to learn, and depending on the lighting conditions, may present other issues. Also makes paying attention to the bubble a little more difficult.

There really is no 'right' or 'wrong' way when it comes to centering the housing or the individual pin...it's really a matter of personal preference for the specific application.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Either way you do it, it always comes down to making a good shot--or not. Everyone centered individual pins before round housings, scoped or otherwise, came into the picture. And I might be wrong about the timing, but think Kirk Ethridge coming along and winning 3 or 4 Nats in a row using the "new method" of a centered housing got nearly everyone into that camp. Don't think he invented the idea, but he did prove it. The hunting world tends to adopt new target methods or equipment that is practical, and even some that are not so practical. Don't have a glue where the short bows came from.

·
Back Yard Champion
32,543 Posts
Either way you do it, it always comes down to making a good shot--or not. Everyone centered individual pins before round housings, scoped or otherwise, came into the picture. And I might be wrong about the timing, but think Kirk Ethridge coming along and winning 3 or 4 Nats in a row using the "new method" of a centered housing got nearly everyone into that camp. Don't think he invented the idea, but he did prove it. The hunting world tends to adopt new target methods or equipment that is practical, and even some that are not so practical. Don't have a glue where the short bows came from.
Yes! Wasn't all that long ago we had square housings - pin protectors that is. Heck, the HHA I have is sort of a rounded square affair.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm also started with the older sights and find having the housing inside the peep is another thing to focus on. It's more natural for some people to center the pin than it is for some to center housing and then look for the pin and target sight. Something to think about, do target/scope shooters use the housing to center and dot/pin to look at or the dot/pin to center..., I think you'll find a mix.

Your friend maybe better off staying with his style for now as that my come more natural for him. At till after he kills the moose.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Any no two people are the same. I don't want to see anything in my peep but the pin, don't care whether it's hunting or target shooting..... Yes, housing completely out of the picture.
Great post Sonny. Right on the money, it's up to the shooter and what works for them.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Just saw a little blurb that Randy Ulmer did, he still centers the pin and doesn't pay attention to the housing. Don't think anyone is going to accuse Ulmer of doing it the wrong way...

Oh yeah, he also talked about the need to 'float' the anchor when doing this with fixed pins or with a slider...Dale would not approve...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts