Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a trophy taker drop away on my tribute and i love it but it just makes a click or ting like noise after i release the bow is really quick and ready to go for the season, but it just really annoying, anyone got any tricks to fix the noise!!!

·
Semper Fidelis
1,272 Posts
throw it in the garbage and get yourself a muzzy zero-effect rest. J/K. Take piece of padding off of an old mouse pad and tape it to the arrow shelf with double sided tape. Of course I'm talking about the mouse pads that are about 1/8" thick. Hope this helps. If not go refer back to my first suggestion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Use a mini limbsaver on the shelf or if clearance is a problem, cut a limbsaver grip strip in half and stick it to the shelf where the prongs touch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Noise

I emailed Trophy Taker the same question, and this was their response. Hopefully this helps.

Please bear with me, but I do have to make a distinction between
shot noise (noise that is heard when the bow is actually shot) and manual
operation noise (noise that is heard when you pick the launcher up and let
it fall).

The reason I have to point this out is because pretty much anything you do
to the rest will not totally eliminate manual operation noise. However,
during an actual shot, the rest does not drop...it is let down under tension
as the buss cable moves forward and upward. Thus, the rest actually falls
much slower in a shot scenario than it does under a manual operation
scenario. Even more important is the fact that during the shot, the rest is
lowered under tension, which makes the rest's operation extremely quiet
during the shot...even if when you pick it up and drop it it seems loud. In
other words, you must listen for rest noise when the bow is shot, not when
you manually operate the launcher.

With that being said, there are things that can cause shot noise with the
Trophy Taker.

First, we recommend that you set the rest up so that the launcher actually
falls onto the shelf of the bow. This should be done in such a way as to
ensure that the metal tab that pivots between the two stops on the rest
cannot contact the bottom stop when the rest is down.

Second, we recommend that you cover the launcher with fleece as instructed
in the packaging. This way there is fleece on both sides of the launcher.

Third, we recommend that you place the flat part of the molded arrow
guide on the back of the shelf of your bow so that the falling launcher
will stop on the name and phone number portion of that guide. This will
yield the quietest setup.

One other thing that can cause shot noise is when one side of the launcher
(especially on the Shakey Hunter) hits before the other side (i.e.- perhaps
your launcher is close to the riser of the bow and one prong hits where the
shelf starts to curve up to the side of the riser). To remedy this, build
up the low side until the launcher hits evenly on both prongs.

Usually one of these two combinations will eliminate any shot noise that you
might be hearing. However, if this doesn't fix the problem, please get back
with me and we'll go from there.

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
here is a simple little fix that I do for my hunting set ups, One mini limbsaver under the blade like so. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I have used this with great success.

Take the launcher arm off the trophy taker. Fill the cavity of the tt rest with white lithium grease. Replace arm and the noise is gone. The cavity is sealed so the grease never escapes and its a one time fix. It works I promise you!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
grouse said:
I have used this with great success.

Take the launcher arm off the trophy taker. Fill the cavity of the tt rest with white lithium grease. Replace arm and the noise is gone. The cavity is sealed so the grease never escapes and its a one time fix. It works I promise you!
That's interesting...might try that one.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thanks boys i m gonna try to work some magic on it 2day and fix it i only have 7 more days till my bow season here in wisconsin!!!!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I was at the shop today and screwed a Shakey Hunter onto my Tribute... Was extremely unhappy with the slap it made when slamming against the shelf. I ended up walking out with the new Muzzy Zero Effect, and installed it tonight... Talk about sweeeeeeet!!!

I've also got to give MAJOR, MAJOR props to the instructional DVD included with the rest; I hold a master's in English with an emphasis in teaching composition as well as a strong background in journalism... One of my biggest pet peeves of all time is having to decipher written instructions which make absolutely no sense at all!

I firmly believe a sixth-grader could have installed the Zero Effect properly on my bow utilizing that DVD; way to go, Muzzy!!

Maybe if I'd been privy to that e-mail posted above I would have looked at the Shakey differently, but the great thing about the Muzz is NONE of those adjustments/tinkering is needed.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,389 Posts
Forrest Carter, here is a simple little fix that I do for my hunting set ups, One mini limbsaver under the blade like so. Works like a charm.

Exactly what I did. Pardon the ugly trim job but it was hitting my hand so I butchered up the prototype. It's really quiet.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I just posted about this not too long ago. To make a long story short, I had a TT on my SQ2 last spring and took it off for the same reason. Decided I would give it one more try on my new Switchback. Well, I have listened to everyone's advice, I have done everything that can possibly be done; felt, limb savers, adjusting where the arm hits, adjusted bolts and nuts, and so on and so forth. Not matter what I do, this thing will not quiet down. Even if you can keep the metal tab on the arm from contacting the rest, the arm itself still makes noise.

It is a very good design, sturdy and very simple to set up, but it's just plain noisy :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts