Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I quote someone elses post in my reply?

When I tried quoting someones post in my reply it did not have the gray shaded area around their post, it only had the word "quote" before their post.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
JohnAnderson said:
How do I quote someone elses post in my reply?

When I tried quoting someones post in my reply it did not have the gray shaded area around their post, it only had the word "quote" before their post.

John, use the qoute button at the bottom of their post. :)

Bellows1

·
Registered
103 Posts
sorry to use your post but I had to post this somewhere so I could print it at school.....

Portland, Or

Portland Oregon started as a spot known as "The Clearing" which was on the Willamette about half-way between Oregon City and Fort Vancouver. In 1843, William Overton struck a bargain with his partner Asa Lovejoy for 25 cents, Overton then owned 640 acres of land located at 45° 36' N 122° 36', and is the largest city in the state of Oregon
After clearing trees and building roads, Overton sold his half of the claim to Francis W. Pettygrove. When it came time to name their new town, Pettygrove and Lovejoy each wanted to name it after his home town. They settled the argument with a coin toss. Pettygrove won, and named it after Portland, Maine; had Lovejoy won, he intended to name it after Boston, Massachusetts.
In its early years, Portland existed in the shadow of Oregon City, the territorial capital twelve miles upstream on the falls of the Willamette. However, Portland was located at the Willamette's head of navigation, the furthest point inland one could reliably reach by ship. This gave it a key advantage over its older peer. It also triumphed over early rivals like Milwaukie. By 1850 Portland had approximately 800 inhabitants, a steam sawmill, a log cabin hotel, and a newspaper, called the Weekly Oregonian.
Portland was the major port in the Pacific Northwest for much of the 19th century, until the 1890s when direct railroad access between the deep water harbor in Seattle and points east by way of Stampede Pass were built. Goods could then be transported from the northwest coast to inland cities without needing to navigate the dangerous bar at the mouth of the Columbia.
Portland's location, with access both to the Pacific Ocean via the Willamette and the Columbia rivers and to the agricultural Tualatin Valley via the "Great Plank Road" through a canyon in the West Hills gave it an advantage over nearby ports, and it grew quickly. It remained the major port in the Pacific Northwest for much of the 19th century, until the 1890s, when Seatle's deepwater harbor was connected to the rest of the mainland by rail, affording an inland route without the treacherous navigation of the Columbia River.
The first known reference to Portland as "The City of Roses" was made by visitors to an 1888 Episcopal Church convention, the nickname growing in popularity after the 1905 Lewis and Clark Expedition where Mayor Harry Lane suggested that the city needed a "festival of roses" The first Portland Rose festival was held two years later, and remains the city's major annual festival a century later.
The Census in 2000 show that there are 529,121 people residing in the city, organized into 223,737 households and 118,356 families. The racial makeup of the city is 77.91% White, 6.64% Black, 6.33% Asian, 1.06% Native Americans, 0.38% Pacific Islander, 3.55% from other races, and 4.15% from two or more races. 6.81% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The median income for a household in the city is $40,146, and the median income for a family is $50,271. Males have a reported median income of $35,279 versus $29,344 reported for females. The per capita income for the city is $22,643. 13.1% of the population and 8.5% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 15.7% of those under the age of 18 and 10.4% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line. Oregon has a 9% income tax which tends to suppress accurate reporting. Figures delineating the income levels based on race are not available at this time.
Portland is becoming increasingly diverse. Recent trends have more young people moving into the city as older, more established white families with children move to the suburbs. Although the city has the highest percentage of white residents of an American city of 500,000 or more, 60% of people moving to Oregon are non-white.
Portland is well-known for their beer. It is often said that Portland is the home of the Microbrew revolution in the United States. Some illustrate Portlanders' interest in the beverage by an offer made in 1888, when local brewer Henry Weinhard volunteered to pump beer from his brewery into the newly dedicated Skidmore Fountain. However, the renown for quality beer dates to the 1980s, when state law was changed to allow consumption of beer on brewery premises. In short order, Microbreweries and Brewpub began to pop up all over the city. Their growth was supported by the abundance of local ingredients, including two-row barly, over a dozen varieties of hops, and the pure water from Bull run.
Today, with 33 breweries within the city limits, Portland is home to more breweries than any other city in the world. An unusual feature of Portland entertainment is the large number of movie theaters that serve beer, often with second-run or revival films. Examples include the Academy Theater, Bagdad Theater, Clinton Street Theater, Edgefield, Kennedy School, Laurelhurst Theater, and Mission Theater.
Portland does not have as many major league sports teams as other cities of its size but has a variety of minor league teams.
Famous people of the area are Art Alexarkis, member of Everclear, Dick Egan a baseball player, Katie Harman 2002 Miss America, Johnny Pesky, iconic Boston Red Sox baseball player, Henry F. Phillips, inventor of the Phillips head screw.
Portland is known for its wide variety of Wildlife. Such as the Elk, Bear, Blacktail, and Mule Deer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts