Archery Talk Forum banner

How to raise point of impact on bow shooting low

12960 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  befus
I have the Apex Twilight Hunter all the way down, the pins as low as they can go, and the bow (Martin Bengal) is still shooting low. I canted the WB back a bit (as far as I thought I could) and still low. Not an expert obviously, so what do I do to get the point of impact up?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the Apex Twilight Hunter all the way down, the pins as low as they can go, and the bow (Martin Bengal) is still shooting low. I canted the WB back a bit (as far as I thought I could) and still low. Not an expert obviously, so what do I do to get the point of impact up?

· Registered
1,421 Posts
You need to have your WB parrallel to the string no matter what. It sounds like your anchor point is the major culpret. You need to lower your anchor point. Try putting the knuckle on your index finger right under your jaw bone below your ear and move your peepsight accordingly (you are running a peepsight right?). This should take care of the problem. You also want to make sure your nock point is properly set at level or a little high (1/8 - 3/16).

Goodluck

· Registered
8,684 Posts
seems you got eveerything to high on the string so,
so you need to lower the rest, knocking point, and peep start all over basically when you put arrow on rest level it should not be any higher than the burger hole on the riser. then knocking point level and peep up 4.5 to 5 inches should give you starting point where you can get the sight set with some room to spare at the low end.

· Registered
130 Posts
poi

Well there's a couple things you can do.

1. raise rest
2. lower nocking point
3. shoot a lighter arrow/point.

Best thing to do to figure out which you need to do is to "paper tune" do a search for that on this site...it will tell you which would be the best choice. raising the rest or lowering nock will raise your point of impact significantly.

-e

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
You need to have your WB parrallel to the string no matter what. It sounds like your anchor point is the major culpret. You need to lower your anchor point. Try putting the knuckle on your index finger right under your jaw bone below your ear and move your peepsight accordingly (you are running a peepsight right?). This should take care of the problem. You also want to make sure your nock point is properly set at level or a little high (1/8 - 3/16).

Goodluck

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! Listen to this guy, please.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Well there's a couple things you can do.

1. raise rest
2. lower nocking point
3. shoot a lighter arrow/point.

Best thing to do to figure out which you need to do is to "paper tune" do a search for that on this site...it will tell you which would be the best choice. raising the rest or lowering nock will raise your point of impact significantly.

-e
If the anchor point is high the bow can be tuned perfectly and still see the problem he has. Listen to Bfisher

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Goodluck
Thanks all. I will look at this tomorrow. I am not using a peep, but an Anchor Sight, and my deciding to move it closer to the sight is where all this began. I can tell you that my anchor point right now has my index finger knuckle up by my ear lobe, so that is where I'll start.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
Thanks all. I will look at this tomorrow. I am not using a peep, but an Anchor Sight, and my deciding to move it closer to the sight is where all this began. I can tell you that my anchor point right now has my index finger knuckle up by my ear lobe, so that is where I'll start.

that knuckle needs to come down on the jaw bone under the ear lobe. Depending on your face shape and size 1/2 inch to an inch lower.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Moving your peep sight up on the string will absolutely, indefinitely solve the problem. I have done this for people many a time. Your "kissing" position will be slightly different, but it will be easy to adjust to.

· Registered
6,081 Posts
I'll load an arrow, and, draw on the target with my eyes closed, when the eyes are opened at full draw....the peep is where it should be, without tweakin' the neck, even slightly, to see through it, that's when the peep gets tied in! ;)

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the allignment of your anchor sight as well. I'm not familiar with the anchor site, but I think it works on more or less the same principle as a no-peep, which I use.

Find a safe place to draw your bow.

Nock an arrow, get ready to draw (IE hook up your release)

Close your eyes and draw the bow.

Open your eyes, don't move your head, and see if the anchor sight is alligned. If it's not, move it till it's where it needs to be.

· Registered
9,843 Posts
Anchor with your knuckle under your jawbone like others have said above. Adjust your Anchor Sight for that position. Set your highest pin (20 yards?) near the top of it's adjustment within the pin guard of your site. Shoot your bow and adjust the top pin to be on target by moving the entire sight up/down, left/right. Then sight in the pins below that for the desired yardages.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
Just in case everyone missed this when he posted it the first time around...

"I am not using a peep"

:)
yep he is useing a no peep device and he moved it lower to be closer to his pins. so his eye is to low, just like he slid a peep down the string. so if he wants his no peep to be closer to the sight he has to lower everything else.

knocking point,rest, and anchor.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The knuckle under the jaw worked well! Thanks everyone. If you are not around archers much you can develop lots of bad habits. I still was having some trouble with flyers and have ordered a Woodsman I stab to help settle me down. Two weeks left to practice before the opener.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.