Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, any of you guys who have seen my post about dicks sporting goods. i have had problems with hit inserts. well dicks did. so i decided to give myself a shot at installing the inserts. i triple checked them and was very careful. everything was going well and i noticed on maybe the 8th arrow, when i pulled the hit tool out, the insert pulled out slightly as well. this made me very nervous so i checked all the inserts and was even more careful i stalling the last few.i let them sit horizontal for 2 days to dry and well 6 of them are good. the other 6, not good. the insert is about 1/8" shallow. meaning the boradhead sticks out amd doesnt screw in all the way. im really starting to hate hit inserts. just put a little flare on the end. i know 99% of you guys install them no problem but honestly i dont care if you, or anyone you know, or your 14 year old son can imstall them. but anyway, heres my thing. is there a way to remove the inserts? if i put a blow torch right on the shaft will it damage the carbon? (theyre easton axis). so any tips? and what can i do next time other than pay to have them installed? because i could not have been more careful or diligent. so any tips? any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Cut the shaft 1/8"? That 1/8" u prob wont notice a change in flight. Beats messing up a good arrow. But others can chime in on what they do

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discard i misread ur post

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Don't heat arrow it will mess up the carbon. Heat up the thread end of a long field tip , screw it in give it a sec for heat to transfer and push in the field point till seated. Dunk in cool water then unscrew the fp

·
Registered
24,263 Posts
When I read your first post I was in the process of installing a dozen HIT inserts from a used set of Axis arrows I got from the AT classifieds. Honestly, I do not know how you can mess it up??? In this case I bought lightly used Axis arrows that were about 2" longer than my favored arrow length and cut them off with my Weston saw. I cleaned them out a couple times with isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip to get out any carbon dust until there was no black showing. Before installing the HIT inserts I also wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol to make sure they are clean as well. At that point I squeeze the twin packets of Easton epoxy on a small paper plate, mix it with a toothpick and start installing the HIT's. One at a time I wipe some epoxy around the rear end of the HIT insert with the toothpick, put it in the shaft about 1/4" and wipe off the excess adhesive before setting it in place with the provided green HIT tool. Push them in so the tool bottoms out, carefully pull out the tool and then lay them down horizontally so the HIT cannot shift with gravity. That is it.....that simple and ALL were perfect.

In regards to removal, I have heard some guys say you can shock them out with a drill bit and using a "bull whip" action.....but it has not worked for me. Heat might work but could easily ruin the shaft.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well ruined one shaft with heat so im going to try the put a drill bit and whip around the shaft trick. maybe im an idiot or have bad luck, but i did everything right according to the instructions. the insert would just get stuck to the tool and pull out with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I drilled mine out...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I use field points to install the inserts and leave them in the shaft until dry. I just make sure not to use a heavy amount of the glue or use hot melt glue. I removed some with the hot melt glue but using the Easton adhesive it's almost impossible.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Eastons quality control is garbge I feel I make sure every tip or broadhead threads in before I push and glue anything. I really like the hit inserts great system...I would call easton and try getting a half dozen for free...say they won't thread in and see what they say. Alot of burs in there inserts it's not like gold tip

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have not had any luck removing the hit insert when using the 2 part epoxy. Imo, anything you try may damage the shafts and end up with you getting hurt. I would use the 6 with the gap for target practice and the other for hunting. For what it is worth, I use hot melt for mine and have had nothing but good luck with it. Been shooting Axis arrows since they were introduced.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Are you sure the insert pulled a little out slightly? Sometimes, after a few insertions, the glue will build up a little on the install tool. If you don't fully clean it before installing each insert, you may have a little glue in front of the insert, causing the point to not screw in all the way. Then you must take a Q-tip and douse it with Acetone and clean the inside of the shaft in front of the insert. If this is not the case, Put a drill bit inside the shaft that is slightly smaller than the I.D. of the arrow, and fling it towards the ground a few times, to make the drill bit slam into the insert, until the insert comes out. Blunt end towards the insert. Good luck

·
Registered
211 Posts
It works very well. I just removed a bunch with the epoxy. May take 10-15 good whips to get it. You wont know your making progress at first until you can see the insert near the opening of the arrow. At that point take it a little easier because it will fly out and may get lost or break something in your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Drill bit! I just did this myself a few weeks ago, and works great. Remove nock, place drill bit into shaft, whip the shaft like a fly swatter, watch for the insert as it starts to pop out the end!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
One of the many reasons I follow this site......thanks for the info.

·
Registered
20,745 Posts
So here's some tips that I tell the guys I work with about installing HIT inserts. They may help you.

1. Mix the epoxy well. Don't mix it a little bit and call it good. Mix it until it begins to ball up and look like a loogy. This will make it less runny and easier to work with, not that it's runny if you don't mix it really well. This just makes it a little better anyway.

2. Take the nock out before installing. This will eliminate the chance of the pressure inside the shaft pushing the insert out.

3. To not get glue over the end of the nock. On the back end of the nock, there is a small hole to allow air to escape while installing them. If you get glue over that hole, when you remove the depth tool, it will create a vacuum and suck glue into the insert and it can cause the insert to pull out slightly too.

4. Don't use too much glue. It really doesn't take much and if you use too much, you can easily get some inside the insert and not know it.

·
god is the only judge
2,089 Posts
Screw a point on, slowly heat the point until you can push it in the rest of the way, then dip into water to cool it. Dont over heat or you will ruin arrow.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,745 Posts
Screw a point on, slowly heat the point until you can push it in the rest of the way, then dip into water to cool it. Dont over heat or you will ruin arrow.

The problem with doing this is that the ferule of the point will heat the carbon ahead of the insert well before the insert gets hot enough to loosen the glue. The heat on the carbon will damage the end of the shaft and it'll ruin it. With a traditional insert, the ferule of the point is inside of the insert so the insert heats more evenly and much faster. With the HIT insert, the carbon is almost touching the hot point directly. That's why it heats the carbon too quickly.

·
god is the only judge
2,089 Posts
The problem with doing this is that the ferule of the point will heat the carbon ahead of the insert well before the insert gets hot enough to loosen the glue. The heat on the carbon will damage the end of the shaft and it'll ruin it. With a traditional insert, the ferule of the point is inside of the insert so the insert heats more evenly and much faster. With the HIT insert, the carbon is almost touching the hot point directly. That's why it heats the carbon too quickly.
I've done it numerous times and the arrow was fine, especially when the point isn't touching any part of the shaft. You have to heat it slowly with a low flame. Plus with traditional most guys still use hot melt.

·
Registered
20,745 Posts
I've done it numerous times and the arrow was fine, especially when the point isn't touching any part of the shaft. You have to heat it slowly with a low flame. Plus with traditional most guys still use hot melt.

You've done it with HIT inserts that have been installed with the included 2 part epoxy?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts