Archery Talk Forum banner

How to replace nocks?

21569 17
Well ive been practicing like crazy over the last couple weeks with my new bow and have become fairly accurate out to 30 yards. Well now I have 2 arrows with broken nocks and 2 that needs the inserts reglued. How do I replace nocks or should i just take it to my local archery shop and have them do so?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
it depends on what kind of nocks and on what arrows as tha aluminum's i used to shoot you had to glue on the nocks and get them straight but now i shoot carbons with turnables no glue
give it a try only way to learn
for inserts i use lockite

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you replace turnables? My arrows are Beman ICS Hunters 400 spine with 2" blazers

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just started shooting carbon and just wante dto make sure that was all it needed so that I didnt ruin a new set of arrows. I have always shot aluminum until this bow and they wont as easy.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
CHange them all...This is just my opinion...I normally change them all as I wear a few out of a dozen down.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way I shattered it tho there aint alot to grab onto so thats why will one of them im having such issues

· Registered
1,485 Posts
You'll just have to dig out the pieces somehow. A screw down the middle or a drill bit might work to catch the remaining plastic.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I quess I just ruined an arrow? I was under the impression these came right out but these didnt do that and now I think I destroyed the shaft, maybe I should just stick with aluminum never had these issues before

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Well I quess I just ruined an arrow? I was under the impression these came right out but these didnt do that and now I think I destroyed the shaft, maybe I should just stick with aluminum never had these issues before
The arrow was probably damaged when the nock broke. Normally when I bust a nock...my first step is to pull the nock and take an allen wrench levering it inside the shaft and see if there are any failures around the diameter of the shaft that arent visible to the eye.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The coat hanger trick did the job but i guess the shaft is no good tho as its slightly splintered at the very end

· Registered
2,067 Posts
The coat hanger trick did the job but i guess the shaft is no good tho as its slightly splintered at the very end
As long as it holds the round and doesnt push out in any direction...it can still be shot. Some others might say differently...I would shoot it though.

· Registered
101 Posts
with my arrow saw set up i can cut my arrows at either end so i would just cut off a little and refletch the arrow this is why it pays to ave a arrow saw and fletchers

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea maybe I just invest in a fletching jig. I have about 1/2"-3/4" so of over hang from the rest, so thats about all I can cut off. Is still sort of round but not sure if I would trust it or not.

How much is a high speed cutter? Whats a good fletcher?

· Registered
5,550 Posts
As far as a good fletcher , the Bitzenberger is the best IMO. Now if you want to keep this from happening again you might want to go to a pin nock for your new nocks. With them you push the nock adaptor into the arrow and then your nock sits around the pin . The ones I use are the Gold Tip pins and nocks. With them you will never robin hood your arrows as the pins will deflect the oncoming arrow away. If another arrow hits it it will break the nock and possibly damage the pin but you just pull the pin out and replace it with a new one but you arrow shaft will be undamaged.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
If the nock end of the shaft is splintered, Don't shoot it! Usually when I hit another arrow, and it breaks the nock, there will be splintering or cracks in the shaft where the nock goes in and becomes a garden stake. It's better to be safe than sorry!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.