Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a technique called 'Analysis of Alternatives' that is a good method for making a decision when comparing different products.

1st, list the attributes that are important to you and assign them weights.

Example: Quietness (20%) Speed (30%) Hand Shock (10%)
Draw Cycle (10%) Dealer Service (30%) . THESE TOTAL 100%

Next, shoot all the bows you are considering several times, score them individually and multiply the scores by their importance

Example:
.........................Bow.1..........Bow 2..........Bow 3
Quietness............10..(20)........8.(16)..........7.(14)
Speed..................7..(21).......10.(30)..........8.(24)
Hand Shock...........9...(9).........8..(8).........10.(10)
Draw Cycle...........10.(10).........8..(8)..........9..(9)
Dealer Service.......8..(24).........9.(27)........10.(30)

TOTAL SCORE...........(84)...........(89).............(87)

This analysis shows Bow 2 to be the right choice because it scored the highest. If the weights for each criteria had been different, the scores would have been different and a different bow would have floated to the top. Some value certain attributes more than others, thus the reason what may be the right bow for one may not be the bow for another.

Its just a tool for making a decision. Hope some of you find it useful.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Pretty cool idea.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Did something on the same order, but simplified. I made a "HUGE" list of all the bows I had tested, listing all their basic attributes from a paper specs level. My list included:

ATA
Brace
IBO
Price
Foregiving Rating (from Hunter's Friend Bow Comparison)
Personal Shooting Impression

I simply went through all the Specs and ranked them with the lowest number being the best. I totalled the rankings and looked at the bows with the lowest totals. "Weighing" the specs is probably a good idea.

I ended up buying the "second best alternative"....the first place finisher was a used bow that I didn't have the opportunity to shoot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts