Archery Talk Forum banner

How to Sharpen NAP Thunderheads...?

7379 30
What is the best way to sharpen these broadheads...I have used them for 15 years and I always just buy replacement blades each year, want to try my hand at sharpening them this year.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
diamond stone across two blades with blades seated in head or take each blade out and do them individually?

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
diamond stone across two blades with blades seated in head or take each blade out and do them individually?
Flyboy--I take them out of the ferrule and put a blade in an X-acto knife handle for ease of handling. First run them over a stone then a few strokes on each side with a diamond hone.

· Registered
3,778 Posts
I've thought of this also...I've always just bought new ones....shoot once at an animal...its done. If it was easy, quick and as good as new ones, I might try...if not, just keep buyin'm, unless ya got lotsa time to kill. at 2.00 to 2.50 each they cost about the same as a sabot...

· Registered
779 Posts
I use this:

TruAngle Diamond Broadhead Hone, one block is a diamond hone the other is a leather strop, cost about $20. And it gets them sharper than factory.

huntin1

· Registered
2,330 Posts

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Actualy noone will ever get a case hardend stainless steel small blade sharper than the factory lazer can if anyone on here or anywhere thinks they can they are deluded to say the least .Just pay the 12 to 15 dollars for the new replacement blades nmost large catalogs and retailers carry them .Its the best way to go IMHO

· Registered
38 Posts
Actualy noone will ever get a case hardend stainless steel small blade sharper than the factory lazer can if anyone on here or anywhere thinks they can they are deluded to say the least .Just pay the 12 to 15 dollars for the new replacement blades nmost large catalogs and retailers carry them .Its the best way to go IMHO
Have to respectfully disagree Shouldernuke,

Factory sharp is really not all that sharp. Anyone can get replacement blades far sharper than new with the right tools and technique.

Ron

· Registered
779 Posts
Have to respectfully disagree Shouldernuke,

Factory sharp is really not all that sharp. Anyone can get replacement blades far sharper than new with the right tools and technique.

Ron

I agree, but I decided I wasn't going to argue with the know-it-alls. I know how sharp my Thunderheads are when I take them out of the package, and I know how sharp they are when they come off the stone. I don't need the know-it-alls to tell me which is sharper. :bored:

huntin1

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I agree, but I decided I wasn't going to argue with the know-it-alls. I know how sharp my Thunderheads are when I take them out of the package, and I know how sharp they are when they come off the stone. I don't need the know-it-alls to tell me which is sharper. :bored:

huntin1
THAT HURT:darkbeer:

I CAN USE THAT HOUR TO DO SOMETHING USEFUL AND JUST BUY THE REPLACEMENT BLADES FOR $12
I CAN REBLADE ALL 6 IN JUST A FEW MINUTES WHY BOTHER SHARPENING 18 BLADES UNLESS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO!!!

I'M NOT A KNOW IT ALL, BUT I'M WORKING ON IT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.