Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting in 7th grade and have been doing it on and off ever since mostly due to the range distance. Unfortunately I haven't shot for about 2 years, but now I'm in college and I really want to restart it. I go to Ohio State currently, and I think they had a club, but it seems to be inactive right now.

I was wondering what tips anyone had to restart (pretty much from scratch) an archery club, if any coaches in the CBus area are interested in helping, and what I have to do to get this up and running. I feel like funding is an enormous part in helping this succeed because not everyone has a bow (I have one) and if competing is going to happen there are a significant amount of expenses there.

IF anyone knows of any websites or people that I should look at, I would REALLY appreciate it! Ohio State needs an archery club!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think that school should be big enough, start putting up fliers saying you want to start an archery club with your number and email address. Get enough people to join then take it to the big show to get it to pass. Any smaller schools that are closer wouldn't be a bad idea to put some fliers around there too. If you have enough people interested and a place to shoot it should be pretty easy to get done. I know NASP does a lot with younger kids but I don't know about college aged kids. Worth a shot though.

·
Archery Coach
23,338 Posts
I started shooting in 7th grade and have been doing it on and off ever since mostly due to the range distance. Unfortunately I haven't shot for about 2 years, but now I'm in college and I really want to restart it. I go to Ohio State currently, and I think they had a club, but it seems to be inactive right now.

I was wondering what tips anyone had to restart (pretty much from scratch) an archery club, if any coaches in the CBus area are interested in helping, and what I have to do to get this up and running. I feel like funding is an enormous part in helping this succeed because not everyone has a bow (I have one) and if competing is going to happen there are a significant amount of expenses there.

IF anyone knows of any websites or people that I should look at, I would REALLY appreciate it! Ohio State needs an archery club!!

Thanks!
You might contact Chris Worthen who is the current club leader of ACE archers in Columbus. I know OSU has had a club off and on. two boys I coached are at OSU-one was the 2009 senior world Crossbow champion and the other was the 2009 National Target Champion (Cadet recurve). Neither are shooting anymore (though the Crossbow champion-also a "JOAD Gold Olympian in Compound) is active in the rifle club) due to the lack of any organized archery at OSU. At one time the founder of ACE archers=Manning Baumgartner-had some kids shooting at OSU-they participated in local state tournaments. But lately, no such thing

I note that the most successful clubs-like the long standing MSU club and the Case Western club tend to have faculty members involved who can keep some level of permanence that does not come with students who leave after a few years. U of D had a great club in the late 90s but when the club leader graduated, the club fell apart. Most universities have lots of clubs vying for scarce facilities and that can kill off a club that is waning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm also having a problem trying to figure out which order to do this all in; gather people, find a coach, find a location to shoot, funding. I've never actually started a club before, so this is all new.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I founded our club around 9 years ago. We went from 4 members to the largest collegiate club in the country in 4 years. I believe we are still the largest collegiate club. There is a lot of information and advice that I can give you, including documents you can copy and/or edit to present to your school administrators. I just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are just going through this at the University of Nebraska. Since I am not an official student at UNL yet I can't vote or anything, but will be a student in the fall.
A coworker of mine actually started it up again, as there have been clubs here in the past, when Erica Jones went to School at UNL, and then she went to Texas A&M after that, and then on to being World Champion. Right now the club its in the infant stages, and the meetings have consisted of going over rules and different club expectations.

A couple things we are going through right now and some recommendations I would have for you..

-It is a lot of work to be the one starting the club!!! The club president is doing all of the contacting people, getting things set up, posting flyers and getting people involved. There will definitelly be interest at Ohio State, there is a huge enrollment. Seems to be a very rewarding thing to be the one who starts it.
-Contact USAC (United States Collegiate Archery) and the Easton Foundation. Easton is doing great things for collegiate archery in providing grants that will be allowed for archery equipment for the club.
-Talk with officials at your school in what you need to do to start a club or get it back up and running
-Know a range where meetings and shoots would be, at first all there was were meetings before we had an official place to shoot
-Get the word out to anybody and everybody, Start a facebook page, make flyers, get creative

If I were you make sure you are ready for the commitment, and then contact anyone and everyone you can. Often times getting a club started or being the president can have positive scholorship ramifications, so go at it with all you got and enjoying archery is the most important!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.