Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Got a few slightly bent aluminum arrows that I want to try fix.What method and type of tool is required to achieve best results?:darkbeer:
I have a high dollar arrow straightener I bought from a vendor at NFAA Nationals years ago. I have never been able to straighten aluminum arrows to a point that are satisfactory. I use it now only to find bent ones.

I would save my bent arrows for the steel deer target at the end of many 3-D events - "Just for fun" :)

· Registered
7,265 Posts
I use one very much like the one in Spotshooter2's post. I find it very easy to use.

Just because someone may not be able to make good use of it does not mean that others can't. It's actually pretty easy to get them down to 0.001" TIR.

Another useful feature is to determine which end to cut off full length shafts. Many will recommend cutting a little of each end of a shaft. I think it makes more sense to cut whichever end shows the most runout.

· Registered
755 Posts
Just because someone may not be able to make good use of it does not mean that others can't. It's actually pretty easy to get them down to 0.001" TIR.
I guess I'm challenged - :confused:
Really though, I think where the bend is plays a large part in whether or not you can straighten it out.

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Aim 4 Gold

Absolutely it matters where the bend is! Closer to the end makes it easier to staighten. If the bend is in the middle, you're likely to have to staighten in several places to get it straight.

Just an opinion, but I think a lot of people put the badmouth on AL shafts and have never even used them.

· Registered
16 Posts
Why straighten shafts

:wink:I have never understood why people try to straighten arrows that are bent, it seems to me that a new arrow would be straight and would be a safe bet for good flight. Also switching to carbon would be a unbendable decission. But keep doing what you feel is right for you, don't mind me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.