Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and I'm not having much luck with this one. I would like to tie the blades of a mechanical broadhead closed to save on target wear. What method do you use and how well does it work for you? How long does it last before you have to re-tie? The broadhead in question is a Rocket Steelhead, but I'd like opinions from users of all mechs that tie their blades. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I shoot one broadhead a couple of times, and that's it. You shouln't have to shoot a mechanical much because they fly just like a field point. If you want to change broadheads NAP makes the spitfire, and they make practice blades for them. Good luck

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Storm25m,
Dental floss is the only way to go for most archery repairs. It's light weight, durable, strong and low cost, but yet it's removable, replacable and shows no ill effects from its' use. :nod:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Bowhunter57 said:
Storm25m,
Dental floss is the only way to go for most archery repairs. It's light weight, durable, strong and low cost, but yet it's removable, replacable and shows no ill effects from its' use. :nod:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Ditto!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I experimented with dental floss and my Shockwaves. Made up to five wrap arounds before they would stay closed!:eek:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Three wrap arounds of scotch tape:)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Honestly...with Steelheads you are wasting your time practicing with the broadhead as they WILL fly exactly the same as your field point.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
GreggWNY said:
Honestly...with Steelheads you are wasting your time practicing with the broadhead as they WILL fly exactly the same as your field point.

I agree with Gregg,I done the dental floss and it works well,but if your bow is tuned and the broadheads spin perfect on your arrows they will be right with your feild points..:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've used mechanicals (and fixed blades if it matters) for quite a while. I've had bad arrow flight and impact points that were off from my fieldpoints (especially with Spitfires for some reason) when using mechs. Was it a tuning issue....probably. Even though I'm much more educated now when it comes to tuning, I like to make sure my setup is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The only way to do this (in my opinion) is to shoot the broadheads.

While I am VERY grateful for the advice I've received from this website, I think it is TERRIBLE advice to tell someone that they don't have to shoot their setup with a broadhead (of any type). There are too many things that can go wrong to give you bad broadhead flight, even with mechanicals. Shooting the heads will point out these flaws in your setup. Please don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an A**hole. I just think that is bad advice to give, especially for those on the sight that might be new to bowhunting and reading these threads..

On Spitfires, I'm not bashing them. When I used them, I thought they were a great head. I got great blood trails and received great performance from them. I stopped using them due to cost and durability issues with the ferrules. I had too many heads that had blade slots collapse just enough to make the blade deployment too tight for my liking. It was getting expensive to keep replacing them. I can buy and maintain Steelheads for much less $$$.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll look into dental floss or fishing line to tie the head closed. Does anyone else use a method different those listed?

·
The Impartial Archer
18,227 Posts
I used many of the above tactics but the Rage heads come with a practice head in every pack so you don't have to mess with it. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on them but WHATS NEW with that. There is not one product on here that doesn't get bashed by some so I'm gonna' try them for myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if there is a head out there that hasn't had bad reviews from someone. Good luck with the Rage.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Aftershocks sent a peice of shrink tubeing that works on ours....as for the other brands I would say dental floss.....and when finished with tuning it can be used to clean the stuff out from between your teeth too...LOL( Just kidding):wink:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I used to tie my Rockets closed with fastflight. I am sure dental floss would work too. Satellite used to and may still make them. They were practice points that matched weight and was closer to the length of a broadhead. Rocket heads used to be some weird weights with some of their heads like 87 grains etc. In the end that was why I switched to Spitfires (back in the day when I used mechanicals) was for their practice blades and the quality was much better with the NAP heads than it was with the rockets:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts