Archery Talk Forum banner

how too?

399 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ks_kiwi
Any advice for waterproofing feathers? Will scotchguard work?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
908 Posts
I would try some of the floatant for dry flies. One other thing I have done, that may not be an option for you, is to kill a duck and then find the gland (I can't remember the name of it) that holds the oil they use to coat their feathers. Break the gland in a small glass jar and then strain it. This stuff works forever. I have flies that I coated years ago and have not needed to apply floatant since.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Check witht your local shop. Lots of good products out there. Hair spray works O.K. but needs to be reapplied often and can gum up the feather. White powder stuff works well but I can remember the brand name.

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump

· Registered
576 Posts
Get the Gateway powder. Hair spray works in a pinch and the dryfly dressing will to but if you use the Gateway powder you are good. You may need to re-apply once in a while but it does about the best I've seen yet.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Yep

Make that 2 for the powder. I have tried the sprays, didnt like the crunchy, noisy thing that the sprays did to the feathers. In a pinch I have used hair spray before though.

BW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.