Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used mechanicals on elk with no issues at all, but how do they work on moose? Anyone ever try a mechanical on a moose?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I’ve used mechanicals for years and loved them. This year my luck ran out. I made a couple poor shots and got crap penetration. Of course there’s no way to know for sure but I believe a solid steel fb would have certainly held together better and performed better. I personally wouldn’t risk mechanicals on something that big and tough. 90% chance you’ll do your job, put right in the pump house and everything goes great. But if the weather is tough and cold, or there’s a twig in the way, or the wind kicks up and you find yourself making a less than great shot you could really end up regretting that Broadhead choice

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
Imo fixed for moose and then again I would not use mechanical on an elk either so my opinion won't matter much to you lol.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I would shoot a iron will and have a trypan just in case I needed to make a long follow up shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would shoot a iron will and have a trypan just in case I needed to make a long follow up shot.

How come a Trypan for a long follow up shot and not just another iron will?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
How come a Trypan for a long follow up shot and not just another iron will?

When I say long follow up I mean 80-120 yards. Mechanical will fly a little better and be a little more forgiving. Plus if you hit a little back or mid body you will be cutting up more and causing more damage. That’s what I do for elk too. No one says you can’t carry more than one broadhead

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I say long follow up I mean 80-120 yards. Mechanical will fly a little better and be a little more forgiving. Plus if you hit a little back or mid body you will be cutting up more and causing more damage. That’s what I do for elk too. No one says you can’t carry more than one broadhead

No I was genuinely curious.
I know what you mean...my quiver has an assortment of broadheads and fletching configurations lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
My neighbor here shot one with the slick trick mechanical (not sure on the name) last season. Don't know that I would make the same choice after waiting 17 years on a tag but it certainly got the job done. Clean cut ribs on both sides and passthrough. Tipped over in under 40 yards. Arrow and head are at the bottom of a pond right now.

Is this a hypothetical question or did you just draw a CO moose tag? If so congrats! And how long did it take you?

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Fixed, why worry about it?

Something one piece, cutthroat vpa iron will if you want to spend that coin?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,171 Posts
I've shot a total of one moose with a fixed chisel head and a 400-ish gr arrow...got terrible penetration....but the bull jumped in the water and I ran up and put one more arrow in him just below the water line. He swam around for almost a full minute...at least it seemed like that long...probably 40 seconds before he died.

Something about that cold water seeping in....grin.... collapsed his lungs and he did in the water. His chest was full of mucky water when we opened him up.

As usual, I will opt for penetration.....I'm planning on using my recurve with a 2 blade this fall...or if I have to resort to my compound with a VPA 3 blade COC head.

Personally, I don't think moose are particularly hard to kill with an arrow.

_____

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would probably use a Trypan if legal? My second choice would be a COC, with your draw length and arrow weight I wouldn’t think twice about a Trypan. People kill them with recurves every year. A 150gr Trypan would be wicked with the extra weight and stainless ferrule, I guess I don’t know if the stainless or Ti would be stronger but the extra 50gr would help push it through.

·
Registered
765 Posts
For mechanicals, I would go with a Grim Reaper 3 Blade Pro Series 1 3/8" or Rage Trypan. And for fixed, I like Exodus.

5MB, with your draw length and poundage, it seems like you are fine either way. Shoot what you are most confident with!

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,713 Posts
those beasts have large rib bones. if the arrow isnt slowed by a rib it penetrates well and gets the job done. everyone is all smiles.
if you let go a good shot and hit the largest of the rib bones right there over the pump house, uuuggh you hear it by the rebound smack and loud too.
so at this point I like COC heads for the job only because (right of wrong) I have this dumb idea it will drive through a bone farther.

and as always......your results may vary.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,171 Posts
Yeah, someone recmmending a forward opening Mech head? I would stay away from that.

From what I've seen for moose in CO- they vary wildly in size. I know I've seen them 1,100# or so....a decent cow can go 700#. I would think a guy wants good penetration....even though they are the smaller Shiras.

I've seen Alaskan moose that had to be 1,300#- bigger than a horse for sure...with a thick old hide....but I've never had the chance to shoot an Alaskan. Even the one I had at 25 yds a couple years ago under the minimum 50" was 1,100# easy...they just dwarf an elk.

___

______

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've killed 5 moose, all with fixed blade heads....3 with Zwickey Delta 4-blade heads (two on arrows about 515 gr total weight and the other about 475 gr total). The other two moose with replaceable blade 3-blade Rocky Mt Titanium 100 grain 1-1/8" heads (one with a 385 gr total weight arrow and the other a 475 gr total arrow weights). Penetration was never an issue...the 385 gr arrow passed through the moose and I never found it in the willows.

Today I use my 475 gr carbon Injexion 330s with the Firenock outsert (the 22 gr stainless steel D-6 adaptor is installed too for reinforcing and a bit of weight) with a NAP 1.5" original Spitfire 3-blade 100 gr head. I haven't been focused on moose as I've been on a Mt Caribou mission but would happily take on a Northern BC moose with this rig, Broadside in the lungs and I have no fears of it not working. My hunting buddies in BC have killed plenty of moose with Spitfires on Axis shafts (as well as grizziies, deer, sheep, black bears and caribou).

Good luck on the moose!!!!!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My hunting buddies in BC have killed plenty of moose with Spitfires on Axis shafts (as well as grizziies, deer, sheep, black bears and caribou).

Good luck on the moose!!!!!
Thanks. That's a decent endorsement for a spitfire.......I use 125's. I've heard that moose die pretty easily to an arrow. I carry both fixed and mechincal in my quiver, so I guess I'll play it by ear on the hunt.

Ya, I drew moose.......and my elk tag......and my best friend drew his ML elk tag that he's been waiting for for some time now......and I drew a sheep tag. I always said that when I drew moose or sheep they would be the priority that year. But my buddy has been there a lot for me on my archery hunts, so with him drawing his elk tag.....that's kind of a priority this year.....especially since moose season goes all the way into the middle of Oct. I'd prefer to avoid Oct, but if that's what it takes......then I'll be there in October. Not focusing on one tag might cost me this year. Oh well, it is what it is and hopefully we'll have four animals down to show for it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
5miles, I had too many tags one year....AZ bull elk (hunted two weeks), Utah deer in an excellent unit (hunted 9 days), CO NW antelope buck tag (hunted a couple weekends), NW CO elk bull tag in great unit (hunted 2 days) and a second choice CO bighorn ewe tag (did not hunt). Too many to do them all justice, and you are in the same boat! Sure was a fun fall...hope you have a a lot of time to hunt!

Again, good luck on some very special tags! They are likely about once in a lifetime on the sheep and moose the way I understand CO draw odds are these days, and how I'd prioritize hunting them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts