Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if there are multiple branches that you don't want to cut, or forks in the tree?

Are fixed hangers and climbing sticks a more versatile combo in the real world??

·
Registered
974 Posts
both are very useful and have several lock-on style stands and utilize my climber as well throughout the season. If you have no straight trees available then yes, the lock-on will be more useful. But if you have a good mix, it never hurts to have both styles.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
If you can't get up a tree with one a climber is worthless and if you have poles for trees a hangon is worthless because there will be no cover to hide in. Having each is the best way to go then you cover all the bases.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
both climbers and lock-ons have a place in the woods. No one item in the hunting arsenal will cover all requirements, be prepared for the conditions at hand, and to change on a moments notice.
Climbers may be a pain on trees with a lot of branches, and loc-ons can be a pain on a curvy tree if you're using sticks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If "Useful" equals more time in the stand, then yes. My LW S&C is about 10 time more comfy than my Alpha Assault.

But, you got to be in an area with the right trees. Where I'm originally from in KS a climber isn't much use, but where I primarily hunt here in WI I love it.

happy hunting, dv

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
in my perfect world, i'd prefer a ladder stand in a tree with some cover every time. unfortunately for me, if i leave any type of stand unattended for about 10 minutes, its stolen! so i almost exclusively use my climber at my close by hunting spot, so i can take it out everytime. i rarely get busted in my favorite spot though, eventhough I only go up about 16-18 feet on a tree with no cover. I just make sure I see the deer long before they get close as much as possible. not possible all of the time, but i stay aware and usually never get busted, even when deer are right below me.

·
Livin' in a van....
8,444 Posts
climbers make life nice when the wind doesn't do what the weather man says it should. and when you want to get into a fresh spot where you have left alone all year til the wind was PERFECT.

a guy I hunt with uses a lone wolf handclimber and still gets around limbs.

he climbs to a limb, unhooks the top part, goes above the limb, then kneels on the seat while he unhooks the platform and pulls it above the limb. so he doesn't need to have a telephone pole type of tree to get up either. he can get up just about anywhere.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The digits You just typed with.... Well climbing stand are that usefull.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I guess they have their place. No way I could use one. Stand placement is huge for me and just being out of position 10 yards can make a big difference between killing and not killing so looking for a tree that a climber will work in more often than not puts me out of position. I have to have loc ons that will work in any type tree level, straight, crooked whatever and I love limbs above and below me when possible. Now if your gun hunting where distance is not a factor a climber would work just fine if you don't mind carrying them, they can be pretty bulky and heavy

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i think they can be very useful........stand placement is huge for all of us that bowhunt exclusively....but i think it makes a lot of difference as to what geographical location you are in.

here in NC it's all about what time of year....and the particular method that is being used (i.e. food source, soft mast, rub line, funnel) will dictate a lot as to the options we have to climb or not. here i hunt 90% milleniuum lock ons,ladders and rapid rails...

when we go to northern ohio each year, we have found that finding the proper tree to climb there is not difficult at all.....and we sometimes need to move from one day to the next so it gives us a lot of flexibility.

a climber is always a good option to do early scouting with....we have a lot of success with just gettin in and gettin really high and watching from a distance.

be aware though....our wives have accused us of being "gear junkies"..... so i am of the belief you can't really have too many options. just takes longer to save up the cash for some than it does others. :smile:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
My climber can be used as either a straight climber or a lock on. If I use it as a lock on I just bring 7 screw in steps with me. Here in NY there are no shortage of straght limbless harwood trees to climb, and the state is 70% forested.

·
Back down to ground level
15,917 Posts
Can't use screw ins on state land, so after I lost the private land I got a climber so I didn't have to carry sticks or mess with strap ons, or be limited to pines or elms that didn't need steps. If there's a good spot with no straight trees, I'll take the time to set up a portable, otherwise the climber is the quickest way to set up.

·
Feedn The Geese
11,989 Posts
i like a climber when time and conditions are in my favor. when i leave work at 5pm in the fall, its too much to set it all up and be ready to roll with a climber. its get the camo on and get in the stand. drive about mach 20 to get there and pray you dont bump them.

i had the most comfortable summit in the world. sold it for mobility of a lone wolf. 10lbs makes a huge difference when youre carrying everything.

for the hangons, i buy semi cheap lightweight ones(under $100) then carry lone wolf sticks. i just pull the sticks when im not coming back the next morning. i lock every stand to the tree but that only keeps honest people honest. a thief will find a way.

really it depends heavy on the area.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
if there are multiple branches that you don't want to cut, or forks in the tree?

Are fixed hangers and climbing sticks a more versatile combo in the real world??
It sounds like your trees are like most of the timbered areas I hunt..... simply NO use for a climber!

I can hunt 20 different trees for every one that I could find for a climber. Hang-ons and climbing stix are the best set-ups for the areas I hunt.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
climbers make life nice when the wind doesn't do what the weather man says it should. and when you want to get into a fresh spot where you have left alone all year til the wind was PERFECT.

a guy I hunt with uses a lone wolf handclimber and still gets around limbs.

he climbs to a limb, unhooks the top part, goes above the limb, then kneels on the seat while he unhooks the platform and pulls it above the limb. so he doesn't need to have a telephone pole type of tree to get up either. he can get up just about anywhere.
i do same thing in archery here in pa.but in gun season when your shots are 100 yds, no i just pick a tree that has no limbs on it.summit changed the cable lock on top from slidsing clip to a pull clip.

i hate it,its too hard to use doing what you said.i may take it off or try to change it.your idea is good too if your summit is not level.you level top and sit down, then take your feet and lift bottom platform while you unlock it and drop it down notch.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i do same thing in archery here in pa.but in gun season when your shots are 100 yds, no i just pick a tree that has no limbs on it.summit changed the cable lock on top from slidsing clip to a pull clip.

i hate it,its too hard to use doing what you said.i may take it off or try to change it.your idea is good too if your summit is not level.you level top and sit down, then take your feet and lift bottom platform while you unlock it and drop it down notch.
Yea, the cable lock on the newer summits sucks. The old style was dead quiet while setting up or taking it down. With the new style I almost always get some unwanted noise.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
I mainly use a climber. I am a tree *****. I don't hunt the same spot but maybe once or twice in a role. I have a bunch of good spots so I like to keep them fresh and not overhunt one spot.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
I use climbers like lock ons all the time. One reason, comfort. I set 'em up, ratchet strap them in and run either strap steps or screw ins. Not something you want to be setting up and taking down everyday but I leave these up the entire season.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My climber "summit viper" is sooooo comfortable! It don}t work for every tree, but it could be used as a lock on as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts