Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How wide (outside) would you say this buck's rack is?

Also, if he came by you on opening day, would you shoot him even if you knew there was a big 9 point in the area?

Georgia is a two buck state.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I would say somewhere around 20 inches

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
there ear tips are 19" tip to tip so go from there. Anybody notice how far the deer behind this ones eyes are apart. My golly if its eyes are that spread out imagine how wide that sucker is.

·
Registered
294 Posts
More importantly,

how friggin huge is that deer standing in the background! Look how wide apart the eyes are.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,327 Posts
I would guess 19-20"
Too bad you don't have a stronger flash!!!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Deer Stabber said:
there ear tips are 19" tip to tip so go from there. Anybody notice how far the deer behind this ones eyes are apart. My golly if its eyes are that spread out imagine how wide that sucker is.
19 inches from ear tip to ear tip? Those are some LONG ears!

From a field judging guide website:

Use the following tips to judge antler size:

Ear width -- In the normal or relaxed position, the tip-to-tip distance between ears on a buck is about 15 inches. An alarmed deer orients his ears in a forward direction to focus on noises; this alarm behavior reduces tip-to-tip ear width down to about 12 inches. Use ear width to estimate inside spread of antlers if the buck looks in your direction.

Ear length -- The length of a buck's ear from base to tip is about 6 to 7 inches. Use ear length to estimate antler tine length directly. Beam length is difficult to estimate accurately and requires a frontal and side view. If inside spread exceeds the relaxed ear tip-to-tip width, then look at the side view. If the antler seen from the side projects forward beyond the midpoint between the eyes and the tip of the nose, you have a buck with beam length exceeding 20 inches.

Number of antler points -- It is almost impossible to see all antler points clearly from any one perspective. Use frontal and side views to get a full count of antler points. It is difficult to see brow tines except from the frontal position. From the side, count the number of points projecting upward from the main beam. If you see two on each side, it will likely be an 8-point buck. If you see three points projecting up on each side, it will likely be a 10-point buck.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
19 inches inside.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
i would say about 19" by looking at the picture....i guess he is a 3.5 year old...and if so...i would let him walk another season:darkbeer:

·
BuckWheat
718 Posts
18-19" outside. Yes I would shoot him if he gave me the shot.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Average Buck is 14" tip to tip on the ears, so I would say 19.5 - 20" outside.

N

·
0 Posts
ears are generally 16"-18" depending on position so my guess is with the rest 20"

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
I would estimate this to be 20-21 inches. That is a really nice inside spread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts