Archery Talk Forum banner

How will Logging affect deer this season?

530 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  PMV
I have 350 acres to hunt and last spring it was select cut for hardwoods and they really ripped the place up. Things seemed to settle down this summer and I was able to do some scouting and get ready for this saturday's bow opener when 2 days ago they came back to get the pines!!!! Now they are logging every day. The pines are only in a couple main groups but there are some scattered about the rest of the property. Does anyone know how this will affect deer movement on the property. Will they leave the area and then come back or what advice do you have. The loggers are leaving all the tree tops and lapps so that might be good bedding areas later on. What do you think?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
living in alabama, im used to this. just hang in there, it doesnt run them off like u would think. ive killed bucks just a few hundred yards away from running skidders. it will be better in the long run...tops for bedding and sun exposure to forest floor help food and cover

· Registered
3,388 Posts
It won't bother them much. Heavy equip like that doesn't seem to phase them, esp if they have been exposed to it for a while like you are describing. I know lots of guys who have shot them off combines & tractors. I've even hitched rides up close to them in the back of a gravity flow wagon because they are so used to them. Good luck & keep hunting!

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
as long as your hunting at least 150-200 yards away you should be fine. they have logged our 300 acres 4 times in the last 6 years.

· Registered
261 Posts
youre fine, they were still constructing a house around 200 yds away from one of my favorite stands (not for long, HELLO HOUSING DEVELOPMENTS), drills going, hammers, powersaws, the whole works and there was still deer under my stand...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.