Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the mood to post.

Just recently, we found out that the first qualifying shoot for the Junior Olympics will be held in ID next year.

So how do we chose the Junior team qualifiers? Who gets to go, and why? Is this a job for the 2009 Junior US team? How about the World qualifiers? Will the lucky few be chosen at JOAD Nationals, which would have to be held earlier than normal?

I'm assuming we will shoot for spots as a country just like the Olympics, then the team will be chosen in 2009 some how. Who will qualify and who will compete? Names don't matter, but the way they get chosen is important.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Names don't matter, but the way they get chosen is important.
hmmmmmmm, a topic that has some meat to it, 80 views, and no responses. This must not be as important as I thought. :noidea:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jrs

You and I talked about this one. I will be very interested to know how they plan to decide who goes to shoot the event. Usually the Jr Worlds is every two years but we are having back to back years, which I assume :)pukey:) is because they won't hold Jr Worlds in 2010 due to the JR Olympics.

Ogden, UT is a nice place, been there many times. I am a bit surprised that they won the bid but it is an easy flight from here or we could even drive it if we get a chance to go.

The other question is, will the Jr Olympics be all shot at 70m, which I assume it will be. Thus I doubt they could use JOAD Nationals as the qualifier since Cadet and Jr shoot different distances at that event. And your right JOAD will have to be shot earlier or later next year due to the dates of this event.

·
Registered
77 Posts
importance

Huntmaster, I don't think this is unimportant, just that the answers aren't known by the general target archery crowd with kids that may be shooting or trying to shoot for the jr olympics. hopefully sometime in the near future the NAA will anounce the process for first obtaining shooting places for the jr olympics and how the jr olympic trials will be held to determine what kids actually get to shoot in the first jr olympics. I know we are patiently waiting for the information to be imparted to us.

dana knowlton

·
Registered
167 Posts
Huntmaster, I don't think this is unimportant, just that the answers aren't known by the general target archery crowd with kids that may be shooting or trying to shoot for the jr olympics. hopefully sometime in the near future the NAA will anounce the process for first obtaining shooting places for the jr olympics and how the jr olympic trials will be held to determine what kids actually get to shoot in the first jr olympics. I know we are patiently waiting for the information to be imparted to us.

dana knowlton
The qualifier is posted to USA Archery already.
http://usarchery.org/userfiles//file/Youth_World_Championships_Release.pdf

What we are debating is how they will decide who will be allowed to shoot at this event. This event will cut it to the top two or three allowed to shoot in 2010 in Singapore. You're right, we don't know. Huntmaster is looking for some input from those who have been so strong in the putting down of our kids in this forum.

·
Registered
77 Posts
slots only

Barb, the event in utah will only determine who/what country gets what slots for the jr olympics. there will be a seperate trials to determine whom is going to fill these slots. AT least that is the way the olympic team is determined and I assumed the same process will be followed. According to the notice you linked to.

The full details will be published as soon as the International Olympic Committee
has finalized the qualification system, but at least half of the slots will be awarded in Ogden.

If things are handled the same way as for the regular olympics then there will be trials to determine who goes to the shoot in Utah. (the world target championships in Lepzig was where most of the slots for the 2008 olympics was determined and the USA had the world target championship/pan american team trials to determine who shot for the slots at Lepzig) Then after we know how many slots we have to fill for the jr olympics there will be another trials to determine the team. At least that is how the 2008 olympics has been handled.. in fact the 2nd nomination shoot is next week in chula vista.

I think they will post the rules for it all when they have it decided. Since this is the first time for this jr olympics, there will be lots of rules and proceedures to be determined.

just my opinion as always..
dana

·
Registered
636 Posts
this is off topic, but if the archery events (especially the finals) are going to be held in the national range here, i doubt the adequacy of the facilities at the current range. There isnt a proper seating area for spectators, so i guess it may have to be done at a stadium on a soccer field....

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Huntmaster and FLarcherymom:

Is this post about soliciting ideas? If so, it isn't totally clear. I read it and took the first post as a request for clarifications on whatever procedures were already in place. However, based on FLaMom's subsequent posts, this is a chance to make suggestions.

So, my suggestion would be to select the team from the best scores from JOAD nationals and Indoor nationals. Most of the best JOAD shooters probably make those 2 events anyway, so that would be simple in terms of not having an organization plan another tourney, and for parents to not make another trip.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barb, the event in utah will only determine who/what country gets what slots for the jr olympics. there will be a seperate trials to determine whom is going to fill these slots. AT least that is the way the olympic team is determined and I assumed the same process will be followed. According to the notice you linked to.

The full details will be published as soon as the International Olympic Committee
has finalized the qualification system, but at least half of the slots will be awarded in Ogden.

If things are handled the same way as for the regular olympics then there will be trials to determine who goes to the shoot in Utah. (the world target championships in Lepzig was where most of the slots for the 2008 olympics was determined and the USA had the world target championship/pan american team trials to determine who shot for the slots at Lepzig) Then after we know how many slots we have to fill for the jr olympics there will be another trials to determine the team. At least that is how the 2008 olympics has been handled.. in fact the 2nd nomination shoot is next week in chula vista.

I think they will post the rules for it all when they have it decided. Since this is the first time for this jr olympics, there will be lots of rules and proceedures to be determined.

just my opinion as always..
dana

That's the interesting point about it though. The Jr US team will be for the top 3 Juniors, and top 1 Cadet. The World trials will be for the top 3 Juniors and top 3 Cadets. No where scheduled for 2008 is a tournament that puts all eligible aged archers on the same playing field. The only shoots that contest the two clases in 2009 (again, not on the same field) before the trials would be indoor nationals, and JOAD Nationals......Indoor won't work, and JOAD is too close to the event.

So what kind of ideas would work? Hold something at the AZ cup specially for the Juniors and Cadets? Maybe the Texas Shootout? Do we just let the top X number of Juniors compete for the spots? What if they aren't the overall top shooters?

The way I see it, this presents a rather unique problem. In the Senior Olympics, it's easy.....just take the top 'X' # that havn't already qualified and send them in. In the Junior Olympics, there is a chance that someone from two different classes will be eligable to compete.
btw, anyone care to see pics of the range?
Sure! You know the field? I've tried to look it up on google earth, and only a couple fields in the area appear to be sizable enough, but it could be in a different part of town.

Huntmaster and FLarcherymom:

Is this post about soliciting ideas? If so, it isn't totally clear. I read it and took the first post as a request for clarifications on whatever procedures were already in place. However, based on FLaMom's subsequent posts, this is a chance to make suggestions.

So, my suggestion would be to select the team from the best scores from JOAD nationals and Indoor nationals. Most of the best JOAD shooters probably make those 2 events anyway, so that would be simple in terms of not having an organization plan another tourney, and for parents to not make another trip.
Go ahead and suggest. I doubt the NAA will say much too early, but maybe some suggestions will get the juices flowing. Sorry, I meant it to be a debate, not an inquiry :embara:

If you take the finishes, the two classes shoot different distances outdoors, so how do you pitch them agains one another? (Cadets shoot 60M and Juniors shoot 70M) Also, JOAD will have to be held much earlier......will everyone go for that? Would you go for that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I see what you mean with the jrs and cadets. The jr usat is the top 5 jrs and the top cadet of each gender and in each disipline. so there are 6 jr usat recurve girls and 6 jr usat recurve boys and 6 compound girls and 6 compound boys.

since each group shoots a different distance, to me, it seems the only way to make things "right" in choosing who shoots is to have a trials with everyone that wants to participate go shoot the same distance under the same conditions no matter what division you are.. cub, cadet, jr. I can see some talented 2nd year cubs attempting to make the jr olympic team and since the youth olympics is for kids age 14-18 they are eligible to compete.

Right now everything is just conjecture. I'm sure all the problems you mentioned have been thought about by the committees organizing this new event. I say we give them time to inform everyone what the rules and proceedures will be.

dana

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
A JOAD time is short but their opportunities are great for those that don’t hesitate

As a graduate JOAD dad, I realize the JOADs have an incredible number of tournaments that they can take part if they are willing to shoot the Junior distances.
In a given year, a senior can take part in 6 FITA target style national championships, USAT qualifiers and trials in the USA (Indoor National, 3 USAT qualifiers, National Target Championship and a World Team Trials.)
A Junior can compete in the same 6 plus 3 or 4 more (JOAD Indoors, Jr USAT qualifier, Team Trials, JOAD National Championship).
That’s a lot of tourneys but in odd number years none of them are all 70 meters.
Maybe a Jr USAT qualifier like the SI Cup could be all 70M as act as a USA Jr Olympic Qualifier Trials.
A JOAD time is short but their opportunities are great for those that don’t hesitate to participate.

The Jr Olympic Qualifier process and schedule information is essential for the USAA to determine its selection process.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As a graduate JOAD dad, I realize the JOADs have an incredible number of tournaments that they can take part if they are willing to shoot the Junior distances.
In a given year, a senior can take part in 6 FITA target style national championships, USAT qualifiers and trials in the USA (Indoor National, 3 USAT qualifiers, National Target Championship and a World Team Trials.)
A Junior can compete in the same 6 plus 3 or 4 more (JOAD Indoors, Jr USAT qualifier, Team Trials, JOAD National Championship).
That’s a lot of tourneys but in odd number years none of them are all 70 meters.
Maybe a Jr USAT qualifier like the SI Cup could be all 70M as act as a USA Jr Olympic Qualifier Trials.
A JOAD time is short but their opportunities are great for those that don’t hesitate to participate.

The Jr Olympic Qualifier process and schedule information is essential for the USAA to determine its selection process.
Bob, I agree as long as they don't force the cadets to give up any time at the cadet level and its just the qualifier and this tournament. As you said their time as a JOAD is short. We already did the skipping an age group thing as she only shot Cub for 6 months. She is just really starting her first year as a Cadet even though she has been there for a year and half.

The SI Cup is a great Jr USAT qualifier event and if you make it all 70m then you take it away as a qualifier from one to make it a qualifier for another. I would hate to see that. I guess my suggestion would be to compile results separately after the event into the cadet and junior age groups for use as Jr USAT qualifier points so we don't lose the Jr USAT qualifier. I don't think the 70 meters matters just that they give the Jr & Cadets their separate pts for Jr USAT.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
which area exactly, did you search?
I just looked up the university. From your picture, I assume it's the field in the middle? It looks bigger on your pic LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
636 Posts
ah yes...sorry to confuse you and divert the topic, but anyway, good luck to your daughter and hope she makes it to here somehow!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The SI Cup is a great Jr USAT qualifier event and if you make it all 70m then you take it away as a qualifier from one to make it a qualifier for another.
That's a good point too. Most of the shoots have been dedicated to a qualifier of some sort already, and with the JR Worlds being doubled up (so it's shot in odd years instead of even) in 2009, we will again have a JR World in 2009, then the JR Olympics in 2010. That's going to create anoter twist for the committies to sort out. Wow, what a puzzle!

Sounds like a buisy bit of time for the kids coming up. I sure hope gass prices get knocked down some, or Cub1's going to have to sell a LOT more slings :tongue:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts