Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres whats going on, i found a great site to hunt but its about 600 yards into the thick woods and is also about 100 yards from a cornfield. I want to sneek in there in the morning, but I'm affriad i will spook something. For me to get to the site quitly i must trim trees and wreck leaves. Do you think i should try to sneek in there in the morning or just save it for the after noon? This site has about 10-15 rubs and trails all over, so i know the deer are hitting hard. how would you approach it?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wouldn't make any big changes in the area where the scrapes and rubs are. Try to make as little noise as possible and trim with a hand trimmer what you have to, again no major changes. You sort of missed the best opportunity before bow season to make trails and larger scale modifications. JMO
Good luck!

Lane

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
season

my season dosnt open up for 17 days so i will have time to do some trimming, but i will have to work fast and do it in the next day or two.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would do little as possible to disturb the area. Cutting trails or shooting lanes may change the patterns you are experience now. When hunting the site, I would not over hunt the site and try to hunt about 2 or 3 times a week and rotate with other areas. Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how would u

I was thiking of useing it for opening day here in ohio, but i dont want to spook anything by going back there in the morning and breaking every stick on my way in. Thats the only reason why i wanted to trim some trees so i could make it back there quit sicne they will be feeding on the cirnfeild that is located about 100-200 yards away. Thanks for the opions James

·
Registered
63 Posts
Depends on what you want out of the stand. If you think the deer will be out in the corn a few hundred yards away, then go for it in the AM. Only problem is if you are in/near their bedding area, you'll have a tough time leavingyour stand sfter the morning hunt ithout spooking any deer bedded nearby. Also, is this active farm country I assume? Sometimes, deer will tolerate a certain amount of change... think of the wood cutters in the fall, the bird hunters, hikers, guys on ATVs just riding around.... if deer are somewhat used to human intrusions, your prsence might not be such a big deal.

However, some areas you just have to accept the fact that if you can't get into them without spooking deer (especially in AM stands), then you either just can't hunt them, or they only become evening stands. I also have some areas that are great evening stands... only there is no way to get out at night without spooking deer.... it's either walk the field edge and spook deer in the dark, or walk the woods and leave my scent to linger on everything. Personally, this early in the season I'd rather spook deer out of a field once in awhile, b/c if its dark they won't know what spooked them. If you leave scent everywhere, they can come by and smeelthe fact you've been there for quite awhile after you've gone. These stand I hunt only once a week, if that... some spots are even "one-shot" deals, no pun intended. These areas are usually make-shift ground-blinds for a particular deer I've seen that summer... I get one chance to get in there undetected and get a shot. However, if I don't get one, I typically don't hunt that spot again anyways, because I figure after I'm gone that buck probably found the scent left in my "hiding spot" and won't be back by there for a couple nights.

I hunt my stands sparingly, and only when the wind is blowing right. I also have a few AM stands that I can get to easily... only this past Sat, as I pulled up to my spot to go in early, I saw two eyes in my headights on the edge of the woods where I normally walk in.... so I went somewhere esle for the AM rather than spook those deer and alert them to my presence.

Maybe you should find another spot for the AM, a little easier to get to, and then go into the other spot early in the afternoon to hunt for the evening. If it is between the feeding area (field) and their bedding area, you will probably start to see deer trickle through a few hours before dark this time of year, so get in there early in the afternoon (3-4 hours before dark). I wouldn't risk ruining the spot in the AM if you think you can't get back there quietly or easily seeing as how it's the first AM you're hunting this year... it'll probably be much easier getting in there in the afternoon, and then after the deer have passed through on their way to the field, you can sneak out without alerting anything by the noise you make.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cut the trail NOW and stay away till opening morning. Cuting a few limbs to make a trail is not going to change a deer pattern and drive deer off a field of corn. Go in extra early so you can move slowly in the dark and give things plenty of time to calm down. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had a area on my family farm that was about 1 1/2 - 2 miles back in the woods. I had a SMALL trail going to the site, but I did not trim anything unnecessarily. That means if I had to walk around a few trees, because the branches are to low I did it. I also went in there BEFORE season to clear the trail of any sticks on the ground. I know that a few fell before I hunted, but the fewer the better. I did not disturb the hunting area at all! Go ahead and hang your stand now also, then get out and stay out until you are ready to hunt. I did that the last year I lived on the farm and did not hunt that site for 2 months. But, when I did I shot a 19" 8 pt. Good luck, and tell us how it went!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how would u

Thanks for all the info. I went out and trimed a few trees and made a trail back there, but when i was making the trail i said to my self"This is going to be to noisey in the am", so im only going to hunt it in the afternoon so i dont spook anything. I put up glow pins so i would be able to find my way out in the afternoon and i hope they work or i will probly get lost and that sucks in the dark. Thanks again, James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts