Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three pin sight and it is sighted in for 20,30,40 yards. I was wondering if maybe it would be smarter to use maybe 17 on the first pin because it would be good for up close and out to maybe 23 yards and then the others for longer shots for follow ups like 40 and 55? This is going to be for Whitetail hunting only? Thanks

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
To set them at 20-30-40 will prove to be less confusing when hunting and with todays top equipment the gap/drop between pins should be minimal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats how I have practiced with them for some time. Just wondering if there is a better way? I'm kind of new to this. Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a Coper Jon little jon sight, and have it set at 20, 35, & 50yds.

I've never shot a deer over 25yds in my life, but I use the longer pins for practice. Basically, my intentions with it are to use the top pin as my hunting pin, and don't use the others while hunting. If I did shoot longer ranges while hunting, I would have them at 20, 30, & 40yds.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
You really have to let the bow dictact what yardage the pins should be at...

Every bow is different...if the 20 and 30 are too close to gether then you could consider something different...

As far as a pin under 20, I have never seen the need...Every bow I have hunted with has been dead on from 5 to 20 yds with the same pin...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Your rig is very similar to mine.....my arrows are very flat between 10-30yds....you may want to go w/ 2 pins. The first at 20 and the next for 35 or 40 yards. My arrow starts to dive at about 33 yards. I shoot 1 pin sighted in at 25 yds....it's 1" high at 15 and 2" low at 35....I not comfortable much past 35 or 40.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
deerhunter3241 said:
You really have to let the bow dictact what yardage the pins should be at...

Every bow is different...if the 20 and 30 are too close to gether then you could consider something different...

As far as a pin under 20, I have never seen the need...Every bow I have hunted with has been dead on from 5 to 20 yds with the same pin...
You may go to 25 then 40 play around with it though.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I think it depends slightly on your bow speed and your effective shooting range when hunting and the availability of shots in your area.

For me, longer the better, I would probably set it up either

20, 30 and 40 or I would go 25, 35, 45 for shots out to 50 yards.

I wouldn't put too much a gap between pins because if you don't know the accurate range and have to guess, a tighter pin gap should be less guess work.

I also don't see a need to have a pin less than 20 yards.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm with bcoulter. I have 1 pin dead on at 25 (2" high at 10, 1" high at 20, and 1.5" low at 30"). From there I have a 40 and 50. Where I hunt the longest clean shot I have is 31 yards from a stand, so pins #2 and #3 are really just there "in case"...

For years I was a 20 - 30 - 40 guy, too. But with my new UltraTec I have a little flatter trajectory.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
20 yard pin should be good from 8 yards to 23 yards. If shooting a decent speed on your bow. I would set the other two at 30-40. If you want to stretch your yardage out a little more you need to invest in a 5 pin sight.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
EaglesFan said:
I'm with bcoulter. I have 1 pin dead on at 25 (2" high at 10, 1" high at 20, and 1.5" low at 30"). From there I have a 40 and 50. Where I hunt the longest clean shot I have is 31 yards from a stand, so pins #2 and #3 are really just there "in case"...

Man, that's basically identical to how mine is set up and how it shoots, only I don't have a 50 yard pin on mine.

They need to make a single pin sight in Realtree Hardwoods HD so I can quit wasting money on all these multiple pin sights lol :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts