Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Howatt bow that i inherited from my grandfather, it been stored for the last 10 years. It is a right-handed bow with the following information on the inside lower limb: It says HOWATT and under that there is a picture of a horse and rider, beneath that it says YAKIMA, WASH. then PALOMAR. Above HOWATT there is the following numbers: 34#@28.. and under those it follows: EPX 644.69.. , I am new to traditional archery and really need some help here, it needs a new string, but i dont know what type, brand etc. if anyone can help me i would graeatly be in your debt. I am not concerned about the value of the bow as it is priceless to me and i plan to use the bow to learn to shoot traditionally. Thank you for reading this and any help that you may be able to give. May the good Lord Bless you all.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Check with the guys in the trad section, but typical recurves use a string 4" shorter than the bow if you measure by following along the curves of the limbs. So if it's a 69" bow, a 65" string should get you close. The string should be a dacron B50 material, no fastflight stuff on that baby. Really look over all the laminations before you string it up, and be gentle pulling it back the first few times. Work it in short draws to start with, checking the bow over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts