Archery Talk Forum banner

Howdee from The Colorado Rockies

381 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  J Lazy H
Retired FireFighter, and long time bow hunter. I normaly hunt big game with a compound but this year I converted my PSE Kingfisher. I have used it for a lot of years bow fishing but changed it over to give a recurve a try this year. It is the 50# version and it worked well for me. Opening day I shot a nice 4X4 bull elk at just under 15 yds. I like the recurve so well I am going to change over and use the compound for my fishing bow.
My son is a big game guide for Bar H Outfitters and the owner of the ranch is the brother of Horne Archery. His recurves are not cheep but I will be getting a pretty good deal.
I look forward to joining in here in the near future.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
:welcome: 2 ArcheryTalk

Registered
hey

I have never fired/shot a bow in my life. I've watched a few hunting shows on tv & now I'm sure I want to give it a try. I'll be joining an archery club soon. I think I want to use a traditional bow. I'm here in Jacksonville Florida. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Anyone wanna go fishing?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never fired/shot a bow in my life. I've watched a few hunting shows on tv & now I'm sure I want to give it a try. I'll be joining an archery club soon. I think I want to use a traditional bow. I'm here in Jacksonville Florida. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Anyone wanna go fishing?
Hi Raymundo,
I have been shooting for a lot of years. I'm 61 years old and if I remember right I shot my 1st buck when I was around 15. This is only my thoughts so don't feel everyone thinks as I do. I have found that the compound bows seem to be much more precise and maybe even a little more accurate than a traditional bow. In my view I seem to shoot my recurve more as a natural aim or just a feeling of you see the arrow hit the target kinda thing. If you followed that comment your in trouble. LOL I have sites on my compound and once you get used to them and have it sited in, the only thing keeping you from hitting your mark (deer) will be the adrenalin rush or you just took too long of a shot. I don't have sites on my recurve, and I don't think I will put any on it. To me that takes away the traditional part of having that kind of bow. I keep my shots much closer with it than I do with my compound. I have a site pin that is set for 50 yds. and I can hit a paper plate 10 out of ten shots. I have never shot an animal at that range but I have taken an Antelope with it out at 30 yds. (lucky shot) With my recurve I won't take a shot at anything over 25 yds.
Keep in mind now with all this B/S I just fed you here is only my opinion, and there are many others here that can give you a much better run down than I can. I am the new guy and don't know which brother hunters to ask here yet. Keep asking questions and the men/women here that know will help you out.
Just get something and start shooting. You will know what you like.
My Best J Lazy H

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.