Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

I've been told this is how it should look^^^^, kinda looks like your release hand is too high. Nuts and Bolts will be on shortly to help you.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,630 Posts
Take off 1.5-inches off your bow draw length,
and then,
try the WEDGED tight to a door frame
or an outside corner of a wall.

EDGE of your shoe, ankle, lower leg, knee, thigh, hip, waist
and the ENTIRE right side of your rib cage TIGHT to the wall.

Especially, WEDGE the right armpit into the corner of a wall.

IGNORE your peep sight for the next picture.

Find a line level and scotch tape the level to your arrow.
Have the photographer tell you when your bow hand is HIGH enough to get the arrow level.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Nutts and bolts will straighten ya out but just want to throw my 2 cents out there just to see if I'm right cause I'm trying to learn how to eyeball form so here's my guess your leaning back which usually means long on draw and bow arm looks to stiff again usually means long draw but the other thing I see or think I see again I'm nube at eyeballing DL is anchor can actually go a little farther back on face pointer knuckle touching right where ear lobe meets jaw moving that back is going to get us slight bend in bow arm that we need. As you do this disregard peep I believe it's to low and that's why we are getting your lean cause your moving your head to look through it. Never move to peel. move the peep to you. So try that get knuckle touching ear lobe and same time string should be touching tip of nose (again peep will not line up yet) send New pics with this adjustment

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Once you can repeatedly bring that string to your nose with New anchor we can move your peep (which is going to also allow you to bring sight housing up in pic looks like you got it pretty low on adjustment) so to move a peep always do it with eyes closed. Close eyes draw bow get your anchor and the string on your nose NOW open your eyes does peep line up? No let down bow move peep and close eyes draw bow get anchor and string on tip of nose NOW open your eyes is it lined up yet? Yes tie it in. No keep doing this process till it's good then tie it in

·
(aka lug nut)
49,630 Posts
Nutts and bolts will straighten ya out but just want to throw my 2 cents out there just to see if I'm right cause I'm trying to learn how to eyeball form so here's my guess your leaning back which usually means long on draw and bow arm looks to stiff again usually means long draw but the other thing I see or think I see again I'm nube at eyeballing DL is anchor can actually go a little farther back on face pointer knuckle touching right where ear lobe meets jaw moving that back is going to get us slight bend in bow arm that we need. As you do this disregard peep I believe it's to low and that's why we are getting your lean cause your moving your head to look through it. Never move to peel. move the peep to you. So try that get knuckle touching ear lobe and same time string should be touching tip of nose (again peep will not line up yet) send New pics with this adjustment
If his ARROW IS POINTING due north....

then,
his HEAD is pointing NORTH EAST,
and this is why his pointer knuckle does NOT touch his ear lobe.

Look at his CHIN.

CHIN tells you if his head is under rotated (pointing NORTH EAST)...when his shoulders and bow arm and arrow are pointing DUE NORTH.

If you FOCUS on the release WRIST,
you can see that the back of the HAND is NOT in line with the forearm bones,

you can see that the FOREARM is pointed KINDA due north,
but the BACK of the release hand TAKES A HARD RIGHT, cuz the back of his RELEASE HAND is following the direction of his CHEEK bones,
and the BACK of the release hand is pointed WAY WAY WAY HARD NORTH EAST.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,630 Posts
Will shortening my DL fix my head and release hand from pointing NE?
When the draw length is closer to a good fit for your body,
you will be able to relax your neck and turn your head closer to NORTH,
when you front stabilizer is pointing north, when your bow arm is pointing north, when your arrow is pointed north.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,630 Posts
Any door frame,
any outside corner of a wall, will help you stand up straight,
and help you with figuring what draw length works for you.

So,
here is an example of using an outside corner of a wall, to help you with shooting posture.

So,
use an outside corner of a wall
or
use a door frame,
to help you with posture.

EDGE of the shoe, your ankle, lower leg, knee, thigh, hip, waist, entire SIDE of your rib cage
and
especially, the armpit,
TIGHT to the door frame trim or the outside EDGE of the corner of a wall.

NEXT,
scotch tape a line level to your arrow
and have your photographer tell you WHEN The arrow is LEVEL.

So,
the WALL corner or a door frame

a line level scotch taped to your arrow

when you stand with your arrow LEVEL
and you stand up straight with the help of a door frame...

then,
it will become REALLY obvious how much shorter to go,
for bow DL Setting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey man, im the guy in the pics and trust me when i say listen to nuts and bolts. Night and day difference in my shooting after I did.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If his ARROW IS POINTING due north....

then,
his HEAD is pointing NORTH EAST,
and this is why his pointer knuckle does NOT touch his ear lobe.

Look at his CHIN.

CHIN tells you if his head is under rotated (pointing NORTH EAST)...when his shoulders and bow arm and arrow are pointing DUE NORTH.

If you FOCUS on the release WRIST,
you can see that the back of the HAND is NOT in line with the forearm bones,

you can see that the FOREARM is pointed KINDA due north,
but the BACK of the release hand TAKES A HARD RIGHT, cuz the back of his RELEASE HAND is following the direction of his CHEEK bones,
and the BACK of the release hand is pointed WAY WAY WAY HARD NORTH EAST.
Thanks for the detailed explanation I see what your saying :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You cut off your explanation what has been changed in this pic compared to last pic did you shorten DL or anything arrow is still not level bring bow arm higher

·
Registered
795 Posts
WOW, the extra draw length really shows up .
when proper posture is used.

looks like the bow arm may still be a tad low???? that is a question
but listen to what he is telling you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah, it's the same DL (the cam is on order) and didn't get a chance to get the line level yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I definitely have to try this this winter. I think I may be about 1/2 to 1" too long on my draw length and this will help me see it. Thanks N&Bs for the continued knowledge.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yeah just have photographer tell ya when it's level see door way in back ground but yeah clearly to long on DL can see it a lot better using door jam method

1 - 20 of 25 Posts