Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Ok thank you sir I’m a Elite man but that venum 30 has my attention
By the way, it's Ventum, not Venum.

Also, there won't be a 2022 Ventum. Hoyt only keeps their flagship bows for a year. If they follow their past trends it will be an RX6, in Alpha and Ultra, and a new aluminum version in both short and long ATA, with a new name. In 2019 it was the RX3/Helix, 2020 was the RX4/Axius and 2021 was the RX5/Ventum. So look for 2022 to be the RX6/"unknown name".

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Would like to see a more smoother design on the carbon bows instead of a erector set pieced together and glued parts everywhere, maybe a one piece carbon would drop about a pound and there then would a advantage of spending the difference between alum version of the same bow....they really to improve their carbon line up or its another year ill be shooting the pse carbons...
I highly doubt Hoyt will go away from the "3 tube" organic design they have had for all their carbon bows.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
frankly if Hoyts main purpose of a Carbon bow is to be lighter weight then they have failed worst than you can imagine as they weigh just as much as the other brands Aluminum bows! Check out all the reviews where the weights of Hoyt’s Carbon bows were way more than advertised and very similar to others aluminum bows
That really only applies to the RX-5. All the previous ones where a good half-pound lighter than the aluminum bows.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Im a fan of both and the Rx-4 is not in the ball park in being quiet and vibration free as a Matthews of the last 2 years.
Curious how much time you spent shooting the RX-4 and V3 back to back. Set to same DL and DW and using the same arrow. I know the Hoyt carbon bows are sensitive to arrow weight. They get nice and quiet when you shoot a heavier arrow.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sorry I never shot a Darton, not exactly a name brand! A ton of archery places don’t even carry them. I hear they made a lot of changes this year but from what I see Darton is pretty down the list of top bow companies
True, but they are pretty much the inventor of most of the tech used in compound bows. They hold more patents than any other bow manufacturer.

My only complaint with the Spectra E is that it is a tank. It's 5.1 lbs bare.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I have an RX-4 and it weighed just as much as aluminum bows. It’s in many peoples reviews being over advertised weight
What did it weigh? My RX-3 was right at 4.0 bare. Only a tenth of a pound over spec. Noticeably lighter than my Bowtech Realm.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I agree they have been around a long time. They really switched things up this year with their cam system
Actually, the big thing this year was their E-System using a roller in the place of a plastic yoke. This ensures equal cable pressure on both sides of the cam. Things are dang smooth and very quiet.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My RX4 was 4.9 pounds and Haxen Hunt does youtube videos and weighs them on a scale for people to see and he got between 4.7-4.9 pounds
Is that the Ultra or the Alpha? I watch Haxen all the time. Have several hats trying to win a bow.:cool:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My RX4 was 4.9 pounds and Haxen Hunt does youtube videos and weighs them on a scale for people to see and he got between 4.7-4.9 pounds
Just looked at his video for them (RX4 Alpha and RX4 Ultra), the weights he's taking include whisker biscuit and sight. They are not bare bows. The sights he has on them are over a 1/2 pound on their own (probably closer to 10-11 ounces). The whisker is another 2/10th of a pound, give or take. That puts them right at spec weight, give or take an 10th of a pound.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
They did come over weight and as you can see since you watched the video they were within 2 ounces of aluminum bows! Lol. Didn’t you say the point of a carbon bow is being lighter? As you can see they really are not lighter, not enough to even notice. Here is a link to a video showing the RX4 pretty much the same weight as a VXR
Actually, I never said anything about "the point of a carbon bow" at all.

Also, if you notice, one again, sight and rest are on these bows. And they aren't identical sights. If you want true weights it needs to be done bare, as they come out of the box. Variances in accessory weights can be a lot. Even the difference between a Trophy Ridge whisker and an Octane whisker can be several tenths of a pound.

Haxen is great, and his reviews are unbiased. But weighing bows with different accessories on them isn't worth anything. My RX-3, fully loaded with a quiver of arrows and 9" stab is at 6.1 lbs. My Bowtech Realm, fully loaded with a 12" stab is pushing 9 lbs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The point of a carbon bow is to be lighter, that’s really its only benefit, if it’s not lighter there is not much point in getting a carbon, you just spent an extra $600 for nothing and as usually carbons have more vibration and are louder. The Hoyt carbons are not lighter than the Aluminum bows. So what’s the point? By the way the other bows that are weighed in those videos have a whisker biscuit and sights on them as well.
Actually, there are other benefits, the other primary one being temperature. Carbon bows stay warmer on cold days.

And if you had read, I acknowledged that all the bows had rests and sights. What you didn't comprehend was that I said they had different rests and sights. That can make a huge difference. Sights can vary as much as 1/4-1/2 pound. Even whisker rests can very as much as 2/10th of a pound.

My RX-3 was a good 1/2 pound lighter than the aluminum bows of it's time. The problem is that Hoyt has been adding weight to their carbon bows to fix the "issues" you keep mentioning. At the same time manufacturers are working hard at reducing the weight of their aluminum bows. Bowtech's Solution SD showed a "real world" bare weight of 3.9, a tenth less than my RX3.

And to help you understand that I'm not trying to justify spending that money, I didn't buy the bow, I won it. Would never have considered a Hoyt.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I agree th

I shoot bare hands, I’m in Canada and shoot when it’s -10 degrees . I have a Hoyt RX4 Alpha (carbon) Only thing touching the riser when I shoot is the tips of my index and second finger. Only other pressure is on the (rubber, plastic) part of the grip on the shot. I see no benefit or advantage Carbon gives you in that scenario!
If it was that big of a deal they would make all releases in carbon as well as your holding and gripping your release a lot more than you do your bow!
You keep making these comments, and several people who have used these bows are telling you something different. I will say it again, the plastic is not an insulator, it will pass on the temp of the riser beneath it. A plastic grip over an aluminum riser will be just as cold as the bare aluminum riser (hence Prime's AeroGel insulated grip). A plastic grip over a carbon riser will be just as warm as the carbon riser.

I'm curious as to why your personal opinion carries more weight than all other people's who disagree with you. It's your opinion, it really is only valid for you. But, a lot of other people who shoot carbon bows disagree with you.

As far as the releases go, who would be willing to pay $500 for a carbon release? And no, you aren't holding your release more than the bow. You carry your bow all day doing spot and stalks. Your release, on the other hand can go in your pocket, or hand off your wrist. The only time you hold the release is to draw, hold, and fire. Minutes compared to hours.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Also I’ve shot in the cold animals from carbon bows and aluminum bows, I’ve never missed an animal due to using an aluminum bow in the cold, and I’ve never harvested an animal because I was shooting the great advantage a carbon bows temperature gives my hand on the shot! Lol
So, with all your negativity towards Hoyt carbon bows, that bears asking a question...why did you buy one?

Again, remember that I didn't buy my RX3. My experiences are based on a person that had zero interest in a Hoyt Carbon bow, or any Hoyt for that matter. I noticed how quiet it was when I first shot it in my shop range. Especially compared to my Mathews Tactic and Bowtech Realm. I noticed how warm it was when it was cold outside. I noticed how much smoother it was to draw than those bows. I came from a position biased against the bow, other than it looked "cool". My plan had been to sell it and get a Bowtech Revolt. But, after over a year, I still have it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Thank you for doing that and making an argument against your own point! Lol on your own scale a 5db is “Clearly Noticeable Change”
Mikes Archery does a review the the Hoyts and Matthews bows shoots them and gets the decible reading and the Mathews bows are 5.5 db quieter and going by your own chart that’s “Clearly Noticeable” .
So like I said Mathews are noticeably quieter bows!!
I’ll provide the links where you can see for yourself!
thank you again!
Here’s the Matthews test!
Again, let me point out a flaw in using those two videos as accurate comparisons. Notice that one db reading was done indoors and the other was outside. Things that effect noise readings are temp and humidity. A proper comparison would have been if they had done the tests in the same room, and back-to-back. This is no different that trying to compare weights of bows while kitted with different accessories. These videos can be good reference, but not taken as hard fact.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The Matthew was indoors and should be louder! It was still quieter lol
Not necessarily. Your forgetting things like temp and humidity. Again, accurate test comparisons are done back-to-back to reduce all possible variables. Another thing that can effect bow noise especially is arrow weight, including FOC. A slight increase in arrow weight, or FOC will effect how "loud", or "quiet", the bow is. Back to that reduction in variables. For a comparison test to be accurate, the only change should be the bow. The draw length, draw weight, arrow weight, environment, distance from db meter, even accessories need to be identical. Any change in those will cause a change in the results.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts