Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
The bows have gotten heavier because of the limbs, limb pockets being a lot beefier than they used to be. There isn't much weight savings within the riser itself. If you look at the carbon bows from 10 years ago, the weight percentage difference compared to the aluminum version was about the same as it is now. So in theory, the weights have always been the same when compared to the aluminum counterpart.
Yup also if they make them lighter they will also get noisier and the buyers over the years have requested a quiet, dead in the hand bow. Lighter bows in my opinion would be a step back. Heavier bows tend to hold better (see target archery) and quieter. Lighter usually means noisier, more vibration and not as good of a hold

·
Banned
487 Posts
Not looking for anything ground breaking but a new redesigned carbon riser is whats needed IMO. Not sure why they went so heavy with the rx5. My rx4 ultra did not vibrate at all. It had a pop on the shot but thats whats expected on a carbon.

Redesign and lighten up the riser to 3.9 for the ultra with the new cam system and they'll have a winner.
Lighter will mean noisier and more vibration

·
Banned
487 Posts
That’s why they have an aluminum line.

Like I said the rx4 ultra was acceptable noise/vibration wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aluminum bows can still be noisy.
I own an RX 4 and it’s like a shot gun going off compared to a Matthews.
I love Hoyts but an “acceptable” amount of vibe and noise is not good enough for one of the industry leaders. They gotta get a handle on it compared to other leading brands

·
Banned
487 Posts
I dont think the ventums are noisy, opposite really so they have that covered.
My rx4 ultra was louder than my Mathews but not loud in general. The purpose of a carbon bow is to be lighter. Yes you want it quiet as possible but the main objective is weight.
The Ventums are not noisy as previous Hoyts your right, they made big improvements but they are still not even close to as quiet or vibe free as a Mathews.
frankly if Hoyts main purpose of a Carbon bow is to be lighter weight then they have failed worst than you can imagine as they weigh just as much as the other brands Aluminum bows! Check out all the reviews where the weights of Hoyt’s Carbon bows were way more than advertised and very similar to others aluminum bows

·
Banned
487 Posts
whoever setup your RX4 did a horrible job or you are showing your Mathews fanboyism. Mathews are the industry leader in lack of noise. But in no way is it that far off. Maybe I have too much weed in my ears too, so right on
Im a fan of both and the Rx-4 is not in the ball park in being quiet and vibration free as a Matthews of the last 2 years.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Actually, the 2022 Darton Spectra E embarrasses Mathews in the quiet division. Again, shot back to back with the V3.
Sorry I never shot a Darton, not exactly a name brand! A ton of archery places don’t even carry them. I hear they made a lot of changes this year but from what I see Darton is pretty down the list of top bow companies

·
Banned
487 Posts
Maybe not the carbon line, but my Ventum 30 shooting the same weight arrow as the Mathews is just as dead in hand and quieter than the Halon 32, Vertix, Traverse and VXR 28 I have owned in the past with the Monkey Tails removed. With the Monkey Tails I would give the nod to Mathews, but pretty slightly.
Yeah that sounds bang on, I believe that’s in essence what I said, Hoyt made much quieter bows last year and much more dead in the hand. Not quite as quiet as a Mathews bow from the last few years but still much better

·
Banned
487 Posts
Curious how much time you spent shooting the RX-4 and V3 back to back. Set to same DL and DW and using the same arrow. I know the Hoyt carbon bows are sensitive to arrow weight. They get nice and quiet when you shoot a heavier arrow.
About a year! Lol, sorry man an RX-4 is not even close in the quiet department compared to the last few Mathews.

·
Banned
487 Posts
True, but they are pretty much the inventor of most of the tech used in compound bows. They hold more patents than any other bow manufacturer.

My only complaint with the Spectra E is that it is a tank. It's 5.1 lbs bare.
I agree they have been around a long time. They really switched things up this year with their cam system

·
Banned
487 Posts
I have both the ventum 33 and the v3 31 and I tuned both to shoot the same arrows. The Hoyt is not near as quiet as the Mathews. I like them both. I like the hold and the grip of the ventum and the way it drops into anchor. They both shoot good. The v3 is definitely quieter and it is noticeable. I’ve never owned a Hoyt or Mathews before so I’m not a fanboy. If the Hoyt could quiet down more and had less cam lean it would be an improvement for sure.
Agree completely!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Just looked at his video for them (RX4 Alpha and RX4 Ultra), the weights he's taking include whisker biscuit and sight. They are not bare bows. The sights he has on them are over a 1/2 pound on their own (probably closer to 10-11 ounces). The whisker is another 2/10th of a pound, give or take. That puts them right at spec weight, give or take an 10th of a pound.
They did come over weight and as you can see since you watched the video they were within 2 ounces of aluminum bows! Lol. Didn’t you say the point of a carbon bow is being lighter? As you can see they really are not lighter, not enough to even notice. Here is a link to a video showing the RX4 pretty much the same weight as a VXR

·
Banned
487 Posts
Just looked at his video for them (RX4 Alpha and RX4 Ultra), the weights he's taking include whisker biscuit and sight. They are not bare bows. The sights he has on them are over a 1/2 pound on their own (probably closer to 10-11 ounces). The whisker is another 2/10th of a pound, give or take. That puts them right at spec weight, give or take an 10th of a pound.
Mine weighed 4.7, nowhere near the 3.9 as advertised. Show me another review where they were not over their advertised weight?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Actually, I never said anything about "the point of a carbon bow" at all.

Also, if you notice, one again, sight and rest are on these bows. And they aren't identical sights. If you want true weights it needs to be done bare, as they come out of the box. Variances in accessory weights can be a lot. Even the difference between a Trophy Ridge whisker and an Octane whisker can be several tenths of a pound.

Haxen is great, and his reviews are unbiased. But weighing bows with different accessories on them isn't worth anything. My RX-3, fully loaded with a quiver of arrows and 9" stab is at 6.1 lbs. My Bowtech Realm, fully loaded with a 12" stab is pushing 9 lbs.
The point of a carbon bow is to be lighter, that’s really its only benefit, if it’s not lighter there is not much point in getting a carbon, you just spent an extra $600 for nothing and as usually carbons have more vibration and are louder. The Hoyt carbons are not lighter than the Aluminum bows. So what’s the point? By the way the other bows that are weighed in those videos have a whisker biscuit and sights on them as well.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Hoyt RX5 is Great! What I got for the Money was Terrible especially on a anniversary year. No soft case, left over key fob. Terrible availability for accessories especially quivers (almost impossible) just a very poor effort for the price. If 2022 prices are higher they better be backed by quality accessories and proper availability! The new cam system is great and My bow tuned easily out of the box. Speed is great and its not much louder than My Vx3 if shot bare no accessories they are very close.
Customer service needs to improve as well the new CEO has his work cut out. Lot of great bows out there time to step up customer retention.
Hoyt getting their new cam system last year was a big leap and long overdue. Much quieter and better product then previous years. I think bow companies need to start giving back a bit more for people who spend this money. Hoyt has improvements to make and frankly so does Mathews. A $250 quiver is insane, not sending the top hat system to tune your bow with your bow when you buy it and making you buy it separately is a bush league move. It seems to be an industry standard that I find pushes people away. Hinges where you have to buy a thumb peg separately etc.. $1600 bows with just garbage stock strings. This was industry needs to clean that stuff up a bit

·
Banned
487 Posts
Actually, there are other benefits, the other primary one being temperature. Carbon bows stay warmer on cold days.

And if you had read, I acknowledged that all the bows had rests and sights. What you didn't comprehend was that I said they had different rests and sights. That can make a huge difference. Sights can vary as much as 1/4-1/2 pound. Even whisker rests can very as much as 2/10th of a pound.

My RX-3 was a good 1/2 pound lighter than the aluminum bows of it's time. The problem is that Hoyt has been adding weight to their carbon bows to fix the "issues" you keep mentioning. At the same time manufacturers are working hard at reducing the weight of their aluminum bows. Bowtech's Solution SD showed a "real world" bare weight of 3.9, a tenth less than my RX3.

And to help you understand that I'm not trying to justify spending that money, I didn't buy the bow, I won it. Would never have considered a Hoyt.
Being a tad warmer is not a benefit and does not really improve or help anything as your not shooting off the riser with a Hoyt it has a grip on it like others do that covers the riser and you can’t really shoot off the riser of the last 3 or 4 Hoyts. Your not really shooting off the colder riser. You said there other benefits what are they?
I did comprehend what you said about the different sights, your just making excuses. You don’t know if the sight on one of those bows weighed more than the other sight on the other bow. For all you know the sight on the VXR could way more. Bottom line is Hoyts carbon weigh as much as other top brands aluminum bows and the main reason of a carbon bow is to be lighter and they are not. I have an RX4 and I like it very much, it’s not lighter than my other bows, it’s got. It’s noise and vibe then my aluminum bows. Pretty much every review I have seen says the same thing.
Enjoy your RX3 I’m glad your very happy with it. You should try a RX5 or a Mathews V3 or V3X! It will blow your RX3 out of the water. They blew my RX4 out of the water.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Being warmer is most definitely a benefit. That is why I bought a hoyt carbon bow originally but it was also for the weight savings. If hoyt can shave some weight and get down to 3.9lbs, they will make some sales.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
How is it a benefit as when you shoot you don’t shoot off the cold riser? Your on the plastic grip part, your not touching the carbon when you shoot and when it’s really cold you could wear gloves. Your right weight is a benefit if they were lighter but they are not Hence no benefit really

1 - 20 of 64 Posts