Archery Talk Forum banner
201 - 220 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
It’s just a fact and pretty universally accepted that Matthews bow are the quietest and dead in the hand. Not sure why Hoyt guys really try to argue that fact. Hoyt has a better draw cycle you don’t see me arguing that point!
The V3 series did have that hump, I own a V3X 29 and it doesn’t have that hump, many reviews out on YouTube say the same thing that it’s much improved. I agree about has a better draw cycle no doubt about it.
Didnt say the Hoyt was quieter. I said they were close. Being dead in the hand. I didn’t see much of difference. But I really could care less about it being dead in the hand. Once that arrow is gone I don’t care. I want smooth draw cycle and to hold on target well. Those are my priorities when it comes to a bow. The Ventum 33 checked those boxes for me. I want to try the V3X 33 but the shop by me hasn’t gotten any. If it’s close to Ventum 33 smoothness I will probably buy one just for the cool accessories….lol. I really like that sight mount and quiver.

·
Registered
25,044 Posts
Didnt say the Hoyt was quieter. I said they were close. Being dead in the hand. I didn’t see much of difference. But I really could care less about it being dead in the hand. Once that arrow is gone I don’t care. I want smooth draw cycle and to hold on target well. Those are my priorities when it comes to a bow. The Ventum 33 checked those boxes for me. I want to try the V3X 33 but the shop by me hasn’t gotten any. If it’s close to Ventum 33 smoothness I will probably buy one just for the cool accessories….lol. I really like that sight mount and quiver.
Audibly I would say they are very comparable. All other aspects I’d give Hoyt the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Audibly I would say they are very comparable. All other aspects I’d give Hoyt the edge.

It’s important to not be biased here! There are reviews most notably Mikes Archery actually uses a decibel reader and measures the sound in the reviews for the Hoyts and Mathews and going by the decibel reader and what he hears with his ears it’s not comparable at all. Mathews is the clearly better in that category, in other reviews they do say that the bee Hoyt’s are awesome and very little to no vibration but almost across the board it’s commented on and reviewed and stated Mathews is the most dead in the hand less vibe bow. Matthews isn’t the end all be all and many companies make great bows including Hoyt. It’s important to not be biased though.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,506 Posts
Here’s the first review of the new Mathews.

This agrees well with what I e been saying for years about the Mathews construct. The riser is over built and elongated. The rest of the bow is scrimped down including the stubby limbs.

This bow popped during review after not many shots.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here’s the first review of the new Mathews.

This agrees well with what I e been saying for years about the Mathews construct. The riser is over built and elongated. The rest of the bow is scrimped down including the stubby limbs.

This bow popped during review after not many shots.

It’s not the first review! There has been many since last week, yeah that sucks, I haven’t heard of a major flaw in Mathews limbs blowing up so it’s most likely just one of those things that happen now and again. Still sucks though. My RX4 linbs started to delaminate and I needed to get new limbs. Haven’t had a problem since. As they say in the video all now companies have that happen unfortunately and Matthews is no different

·
Registered
25,044 Posts
It’s important to not be biased here! There are reviews most notably Mikes Archery actually uses a decibel reader and measures the sound in the reviews for the Hoyts and Mathews and going by the decibel reader and what he hears with his ears it’s not comparable at all. Mathews is the clearly better in that category, in other reviews they do say that the bee Hoyt’s are awesome and very little to no vibration but almost across the board it’s commented on and reviewed and stated Mathews is the most dead in the hand less vibe bow. Matthews isn’t the end all be all and many companies make great bows including Hoyt. It’s important to not be biased though.
I have a good decibel reader so I’ve compared

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is also important to note that the bows should be shot with same type of components when comparing. Hoyt has the stab on it. All other bows when comparing should have a stab or remove the one from the Hoyt. I often shoot my Hoyt, revolt x and v3 31 back to back. I’ve had friends stand near me and also have my own ears. It’s amazing how different things are when you aren’t right up against the bow shooting it.

I really like my ventum 33. Dropped a hog at 75 yards with it. What’s not to like about that. I think the transition from draw to hold is better with it than my v3 31. The v3 is easily quieter and less vibe when they both have stabs on them.

I’m just hoping to get back on topic and talk about next steps we hope to see from Hoyt in a couple weeks. I hope for less cam lean and to look at the limbs at brace and see them more symmetrical. I hope for some noise reduction. If accomplishing this cam lean means a redesigned axle and shimming system that would be great. It’s not too hard to do right now but is easily harder than top hats and way more difficult than deadlock or SET. A little weight reduction even on the ventum would be a bonus.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It is also important to note that the bows should be shot with same type of components when comparing. Hoyt has the stab on it. All other bows when comparing should have a stab or remove the one from the Hoyt. I often shoot my Hoyt, revolt x and v3 31 back to back. I’ve had friends stand near me and also have my own ears. It’s amazing how different things are when you aren’t right up against the bow shooting it.

I really like my ventum 33. Dropped a hog at 75 yards with it. What’s not to like about that. I think the transition from draw to hold is better with it than my v3 31. The v3 is easily quieter and less vibe when they both have stabs on them.

I’m just hoping to get back on topic and talk about next steps we hope to see from Hoyt in a couple weeks. I hope for less cam lean and to look at the limbs at brace and see them more symmetrical. I hope for some noise reduction. If accomplishing this cam lean means a redesigned axle and shimming system that would be great. It’s not too hard to do right now but is easily harder than top hats and way more difficult than deadlock or SET. A little weight reduction even on the ventum would be a bonus.

I agree with everything dude! I’m not a Bowtech guy but a Deadlock cam system of some kind would make tuning the rest of these bow companies much better. I almost wish Hoyt and Matthews would just pay Bowtech for the ability to use that tech.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would say within 2 decibels is comparable
That is very little difference

Other peoples readings (using a decibel metre) on YouTube had a larger difference in noise between the two bows on the decibel reader than that lol. They even mention the Mathews is noticeably more quiet than the others. Throughout ALL the reviews everyone also comments pretty much unanimously that Mathews is quieter and the most dead in the hand. Nothing wrong with that it’s just how it is.
It’s weird when Mathews is better at something it’s “comparable” but than you state Hoyt has the edge on everything else when there are reviews on YouTube of Mathews shooting faster than Hoyts with the same specs. But yet those are not “comparable”.
Anyways I like both companies a lot, but they both do certain things better the other and I’m ok and accept that.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Tlymburner, being warmer is absolutely a benefit. and i also think that is the only benefit of the carobn bows right now unless they get the weight down. I shoot with bare hands. I had a deer come in and took my XXL off the hanger however it winded me and ran off later but i had to hold my bow in my hand forever. temp was 17 that day. Long story short i would of paid the extra money to have my old RX1 Ultra back. similar thing happened on a 20 degree with a north wind so even colder. yes my hand hurt but i dind't get low degree frost bit in my fingertips that i did with my XXL.

Reactions: MIKEY CUSTOM-G

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree th
Tlymburner, being warmer is absolutely a benefit. and i also think that is the only benefit of the carobn bows right now unless they get the weight down. I shoot with bare hands. I had a deer come in and took my XXL off the hanger however it winded me and ran off later but i had to hold my bow in my hand forever. temp was 17 that day. Long story short i would of paid the extra money to have my old RX1 Ultra back. similar thing happened on a 20 degree with a north wind so even colder. yes my hand hurt but i dind't get low degree frost bit in my fingertips that i did with my XXL.
I shoot bare hands, I’m in Canada and shoot when it’s -10 degrees . I have a Hoyt RX4 Alpha (carbon) Only thing touching the riser when I shoot is the tips of my index and second finger. Only other pressure is on the (rubber, plastic) part of the grip on the shot. I see no benefit or advantage Carbon gives you in that scenario!
If it was that big of a deal they would make all releases in carbon as well as your holding and gripping your release a lot more than you do your bow!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I would say within 2 decibels is comparable
That is very little difference

Coming from the land of guitar audio, I can assure you that 2DB is significant to the human ear (and would be moreso to a game animal) The difference in DB(SPL) between a 50 Watt guitar amplifier and the same in 100W is 3DB.

Wanted to add, I'm not a quiet at all costs person, I've killed deer with old Dartons from the 1990s, so I've had the loudest. Just speaking as regards to db ratings.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I agree th

I shoot bare hands, I’m in Canada and shoot when it’s -10 degrees . I have a Hoyt RX4 Alpha (carbon) Only thing touching the riser when I shoot is the tips of my index and second finger. Only other pressure is on the (rubber, plastic) part of the grip on the shot. I see no benefit or advantage Carbon gives you in that scenario!
If it was that big of a deal they would make all releases in carbon as well as your holding and gripping your release a lot more than you do your bow!
You keep making these comments, and several people who have used these bows are telling you something different. I will say it again, the plastic is not an insulator, it will pass on the temp of the riser beneath it. A plastic grip over an aluminum riser will be just as cold as the bare aluminum riser (hence Prime's AeroGel insulated grip). A plastic grip over a carbon riser will be just as warm as the carbon riser.

I'm curious as to why your personal opinion carries more weight than all other people's who disagree with you. It's your opinion, it really is only valid for you. But, a lot of other people who shoot carbon bows disagree with you.

As far as the releases go, who would be willing to pay $500 for a carbon release? And no, you aren't holding your release more than the bow. You carry your bow all day doing spot and stalks. Your release, on the other hand can go in your pocket, or hand off your wrist. The only time you hold the release is to draw, hold, and fire. Minutes compared to hours.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You
You keep making these comments, and several people who have used these bows are telling you something different. I will say it again, the plastic is not an insulator, it will pass on the temp of the riser beneath it. A plastic grip over an aluminum riser will be just as cold as the bare aluminum riser (hence Prime's AeroGel insulated grip). A plastic grip over a carbon riser will be just as warm as the carbon riser.

I'm curious as to why your personal opinion carries more weight than all other people's who disagree with you. It's your opinion, it really is only valid for you. But, a lot of other people who shoot carbon bows disagree with you.

As far as the releases go, who would be willing to pay $500 for a carbon release? And no, you aren't holding your release more than the bow. You carry your bow all day doing spot and stalks. Your release, on the other hand can go in your pocket, or hand off your wrist. The only time you hold the release is to draw, hold, and fire. Minutes compared to hours.
Your acting as if I’m the only one with this thought!! Lots of posts on many different forums and this one state the same opinion as I have. I shoot a carbon bow in the cold and it doesn’t effect my shot what so ever. So since the bows are carbon and they don’t really weight much lighter there is no real advantage to a carbon bow.
I spot and stalk, I see something takes less than 1 second to pull a glove off. Plus a lot of people shoot with gloves on anyways so a carbon bow being warmer then aluminum doesn’t really have an advantage there either.
point of a carbon bow is the lighter weight and Hoyts are not that much lighter. Other than the cool factor not much benefit to a heavy carbon bow.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Also I’ve shot animals in the cold from carbon bows and aluminum bows, I’ve never missed an animal due to using an aluminum bow in the cold, and I’ve never harvested an animal because I was shooting the great advantage a carbon bows temperature gives my hand on the shot! Lol

·
Registered
25,044 Posts
Coming from the land of guitar audio, I can assure you that 2DB is significant to the human ear (and would be moreso to a game animal) The difference in DB(SPL) between a 50 Watt guitar amplifier and the same in 100W is 3DB.

Wanted to add, I'm not a quiet at all costs person, I've killed deer with old Dartons from the 1990s, so I've had the loudest. Just speaking as regards to db ratings.
Guess it depends on the individuals since I’ve compared on 2 separate occasions with a few backs turned and both times they were hard pressed at determining which was quieter. You have better ears than anyone I know.
If one wants to talk about game, the arrow in flight at 30 yards away is way more audible than the bow on the shot.
Just stick a camera above the target at 30 yards, it’s quite obvious what’s louder

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Also I’ve shot in the cold animals from carbon bows and aluminum bows, I’ve never missed an animal due to using an aluminum bow in the cold, and I’ve never harvested an animal because I was shooting the great advantage a carbon bows temperature gives my hand on the shot! Lol
So, with all your negativity towards Hoyt carbon bows, that bears asking a question...why did you buy one?

Again, remember that I didn't buy my RX3. My experiences are based on a person that had zero interest in a Hoyt Carbon bow, or any Hoyt for that matter. I noticed how quiet it was when I first shot it in my shop range. Especially compared to my Mathews Tactic and Bowtech Realm. I noticed how warm it was when it was cold outside. I noticed how much smoother it was to draw than those bows. I came from a position biased against the bow, other than it looked "cool". My plan had been to sell it and get a Bowtech Revolt. But, after over a year, I still have it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guess it depends on the individuals since I’ve compared on 2 separate occasions with a few backs turned and both times they were hard pressed at determining which was quieter. You have better ears than anyone I know.
If one wants to talk about game, the arrow in flight at 30 yards away is way more audible than the bow on the shot.
Just stick a camera above the target at 30 yards, it’s quite obvious what’s louder

Mikes archery sells both bows and uses a decibel meter which is a sensor that has no biased and doesn’t care which bow is quieter and the Mathews reads 93.3 decibels and the Hoyt reads 98.8 decibels. The Hoyt is 5.5 decibels louder than the Matthews. Go look for yourself

201 - 220 of 262 Posts