Archery Talk Forum banner
221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Guess it depends on the individuals since I’ve compared on 2 separate occasions with a few backs turned and both times they were hard pressed at determining which was quieter. You have better ears than anyone I know.
If one wants to talk about game, the arrow in flight at 30 yards away is way more audible than the bow on the shot.
Just stick a camera above the target at 30 yards, it’s quite obvious what’s louder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For many moons (4 decades) I've worked with guitar amps and specific speakers that are all 2-3 DB difference. So I'm very aware of it. Anyone who works in audio/recording/engineering understands.

As for noise in flight, no argument from me that it is more of an issue than shot noise- That said I've used feathers for decades and never found it to be a significant issue either. Many fixed blade broadheads are the worst culprit, IME.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So, with all your negativity towards Hoyt carbon bows, that bears asking a question...why did you buy one?

Again, remember that I didn't buy my RX3. My experiences are based on a person that had zero interest in a Hoyt Carbon bow, or any Hoyt for that matter. I noticed how quiet it was when I first shot it in my shop range. Especially compared to my Mathews Tactic and Bowtech Realm. I noticed how warm it was when it was cold outside. I noticed how much smoother it was to draw than those bows. I came from a position biased against the bow, other than it looked "cool". My plan had been to sell it and get a Bowtech Revolt. But, after over a year, I still have it.
Stating facts is not going against Hoyt lol. People on this forum seem to think it is though lol. I like my Hoyt RX4. There’s good things I like about it and not so good. Gotta take the good with the bad. If you shoot a Mathews V3 or V3X the sound difference is HUGE compared to a RX3 or RX4 the Matthews is a lot quieter then those bows. Hoyt made a big step with an RX5 which is a really good bow! I think I’ve said that like 3 times now.

·
Registered
25,043 Posts
For many moons (4 decades) I've worked with guitar amps and specific speakers that are all 2-3 DB difference. So I'm very aware of it. Anyone who works in audio/recording/engineering understands.

As for noise in flight, no argument from me that it is more of an issue than shot noise- That said I've used feathers for decades and never found it to be a significant issue either. Many fixed blade broadheads are the worst culprit, IME.
Like I stated, you have exceptional hearing that most do not have

·
Registered
3,667 Posts

I actually have damaged hearing from years of guitars and guns.

Not sure where that is from, but If you are ever in my area, I'd be happy to to do a demo for you on the difference in volume 3DB makes.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
A 1 dB change in a sound equates to about a 26% difference in sound energy (remember that a 3 dB difference is a doubling of energy levels). In terms of subjective loudness, a 1 dB change yields just over a 7% change. A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Thank you for doing that and making an argument against your own point! Lol on your own scale a 5db is “Clearly Noticeable Change”
Mikes Archery does a review the the Hoyts and Matthews bows shoots them and gets the decible reading and the Mathews bows are 5.5 db quieter and going by your own chart that’s “Clearly Noticeable” .
So like I said Mathews are noticeably quieter bows!!
I’ll provide the links where you can see for yourself!
thank you again!
Here’s the Matthews test!

·
Registered
25,043 Posts
I actually have damaged hearing from years of guitars and guns.

Not sure where that is from, but If you are ever in my area, I'd be happy to to do a demo for you on the difference in volume 3DB makes.
Just back in the osha days in commercial construction. We’ve gone through so much classes and testing over the years.
Most cannot tell the difference up to 2 decibels.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thank you for doing that and making an argument against your own point! Lol on your own scale a 5db is “Clearly Noticeable Change”
Mikes Archery does a review the the Hoyts and Matthews bows shoots them and gets the decible reading and the Mathews bows are 5.5 db quieter and going by your own chart that’s “Clearly Noticeable” .
So like I said Mathews are noticeably quieter bows!!
I’ll provide the links where you can see for yourself!
thank you again!
Here’s the Matthews test!
Again, let me point out a flaw in using those two videos as accurate comparisons. Notice that one db reading was done indoors and the other was outside. Things that effect noise readings are temp and humidity. A proper comparison would have been if they had done the tests in the same room, and back-to-back. This is no different that trying to compare weights of bows while kitted with different accessories. These videos can be good reference, but not taken as hard fact.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Again, let me point out a flaw in using those two videos as accurate comparisons. Notice that one db reading was done indoors and the other was outside. Things that effect noise readings are temp and humidity. A proper comparison would have been if they had done the tests in the same room, and back-to-back. This is no different that trying to compare weights of bows while kitted with different accessories. These videos can be good reference, but not taken as hard fact.
The Matthew was indoors and should be louder! It was still quieter lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Plus every review done by multiple shops and people all claim the same thing that Mathews bows are best when it comes to being quiet

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Just back in the osha days in commercial construction. We’ve gone through so much classes and testing over the years.
Most cannot tell the difference up to 2 decibels.
Gotcha.

Well here is an interesting article if you care to read up

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/understanding-wattage-speaker-efficiency-amplifier-loudness

I will quote the relevant passage-

Wattage, Power, and SPL
So how many watts does it take to get twice as loud? Let's imagine two amps—one amp rated at 10 watts, and a second amplifier rated at 20 watts. The 20-watt amp is double the power of the 10-watt amp, but doubling the power only translates to an increase of 3 dB SPL. Remember, in order to sound "twice as loud," you need an increase of 10dB, so while a 20W amplifier will sound noticeably louder than a 10W amp, it will not sound twice as loud. The same thing holds true at higher wattages—a 100W amp is not going to sound twice as loud as a 50W amp; assuming identical speakers, it will only be 3 dB louder, which is noticeable, but definitely not a doubling of perceived loudness.
It's a roughly 25% increase in volume (3DB). So if we compare some of those recent sound tested bows from Mike's archery- a sub 95 DB bow (mathews) and a 98 DB bow (bear Refine), it's an increase in noise of roughly 25%. Again, I'm not arguing its like the difference between a .22LR and a 460 weatherby- it is very noticeable though. 2DB of course less so, but still very apparent.

Anyhoo- I've nerded the thread up enough

Reactions: Tlymburner

·
Registered
333 Posts
Gotcha.

Well here is an interesting article if you care to read up

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/understanding-wattage-speaker-efficiency-amplifier-loudness

I will quote the relevant passage-

It's a roughly 25% increase in volume (3DB). So if we compare some of those recent sound tested bows from Mike's archery- a sub 95 DB bow (mathews) and a 98 DB bow (bear Refine), it's an increase in noise of roughly 25%. Again, I'm not arguing its like the difference between a .22LR and a 460 weatherby- it is very noticeable though. 2DB of course less so, but still very apparent.

Anyhoo- I've nerded the thread up enough
Thank you for doing that!! The Matthews was 5.5 decibels quieter and it’s noticeable, anyways..
Thank you

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The Matthew was indoors and should be louder! It was still quieter lol
Not necessarily. Your forgetting things like temp and humidity. Again, accurate test comparisons are done back-to-back to reduce all possible variables. Another thing that can effect bow noise especially is arrow weight, including FOC. A slight increase in arrow weight, or FOC will effect how "loud", or "quiet", the bow is. Back to that reduction in variables. For a comparison test to be accurate, the only change should be the bow. The draw length, draw weight, arrow weight, environment, distance from db meter, even accessories need to be identical. Any change in those will cause a change in the results.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not necessarily. Your forgetting things like temp and humidity. Again, accurate test comparisons are done back-to-back to reduce all possible variables. Another thing that can effect bow noise especially is arrow weight, including FOC. A slight increase in arrow weight, or FOC will effect how "loud", or "quiet", the bow is. Back to that reduction in variables. For a comparison test to be accurate, the only change should be the bow. The draw length, draw weight, arrow weight, environment, distance from db meter, even accessories need to be identical. Any change in those will cause a change in the results.
Stop being so desperate dude!!
Every person and every review has the Matthews being the quietest, the reviews who had measure the decibels with a decibel meter said Mathews is quieter! Nobody other than a few Hoyt owners think Hoyt’s are quieter than the Mathews.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Tlymbuner

as someone who has owned every major flagship bow for the last 5 years running from every manufacturer, I will agree that generally Mathews has the quietest and most dead in hand bare bow on the market. With that said however. Not every one finds Mathews to be the quietest. (Especially since most bows are very comparable sound wise once completely outfitted with stabilizers, and other accessories.)

here is a example of a review in a controlled environment unlike mikes archery where the Mathews was not as quiet and this review would be arguably more reliable since mikes archery does reviews out doors on different days with more variables. The pse at 80lbs was quieter than both the Mathews and Hoyt at 70lbs. Now with that said we must take into some consideration and hope that all the bows are tuned and timed properly, arrows are the same and what not when evaluating these tests. But generally Mathews has succeeded in making the most dead in hand and quiet bow, however as long as I have hunted and with the vast variety of animals that I have taken sound of the bow was very low on the list of determining if I was successful or not.

but to focus on the improvements that we are all hoping to see. Hoyt must reduce the weight of their carbon bow to be competitive since the general push for a carbon bow is a reduction in weight compared to an aluminum, With the added benefit of weather not effecting the riser and yes while they have the rubber grip many people remove them for side plates or to shoot straight off the riser in which cause the temp would have a greater effect.

hoyt also must address the cam lean and issues with the riser or cables impeding on the sight picture that so many people have complained about, but they are heading in a nice direction with the new cam.

looking at Mathews the differences between the triax to the VXR to the V3 to the V3X and incredibly minimal. While they have refined a great platform they are behind the curve with the need for top hats, switch weight mods, and not having a press less tuning system like Bowtech and Elite.

if Mathews could develop something like that coupled with the dead in had feel and quietness they would easily rush to the top of the market since currently that is the only thing they are really lacking.

But all of us on this forum and this particular thread I think can agree that we are living in a day and age where bows and bow manufacturers are creating incredible products and revolutionary changes are almost not possible so all will be doing little things to try and set themselves apart.

Reactions: jfin4480

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tlymbuner

as someone who has owned every major flagship bow for the last 5 years running from every manufacturer, I will agree that generally Mathews has the quietest and most dead in hand bare bow on the market. With that said however. Not every one finds Mathews to be the quietest. (Especially since most bows are very comparable sound wise once completely outfitted with stabilizers, and other accessories.)

here is a example of a review in a controlled environment unlike mikes archery where the Mathews was not as quiet and this review would be arguably more reliable since mikes archery does reviews out doors on different days with more variables. The pse at 80lbs was quieter than both the Mathews and Hoyt at 70lbs. Now with that said we must take into some consideration and hope that all the bows are tuned and timed properly, arrows are the same and what not when evaluating these tests. But generally Mathews has succeeded in making the most dead in hand and quiet bow, however as long as I have hunted and with the vast variety of animals that I have taken sound of the bow was very low on the list of determining if I was successful or not.

but to focus on the improvements that we are all hoping to see. Hoyt must reduce the weight of their carbon bow to be competitive since the general push for a carbon bow is a reduction in weight compared to an aluminum, With the added benefit of weather not effecting the riser and yes while they have the rubber grip many people remove them for side plates or to shoot straight off the riser in which cause the temp would have a greater effect.

hoyt also must address the cam lean and issues with the riser or cables impeding on the sight picture that so many people have complained about, but they are heading in a nice direction with the new cam.

looking at Mathews the differences between the triax to the VXR to the V3 to the V3X and incredibly minimal. While they have refined a great platform they are behind the curve with the need for top hats, switch weight mods, and not having a press less tuning system like Bowtech and Elite.

if Mathews could develop something like that coupled with the dead in had feel and quietness they would easily rush to the top of the market since currently that is the only thing they are really lacking.

But all of us on this forum and this particular thread I think can agree that we are living in a day and age where bows and bow manufacturers are creating incredible products and revolutionary changes are almost not possible so all will be doing little things to try and set themselves apart.
Man good points you made, however bringing PSE into this doesn’t really do anything as we were comparing Hoyt and Matthews. Your right their are many variables that we are unsure of but one thing that is universally across the board is Matthews are dead in the hand and quiet, not sure how that fact is chapping the ass of so many people.
If noise was not a big deal we wouldn’t be talking about it and it wouldn’t be a big think people look for in a bow. But it is a big thing when it comes to hunting and people do want and need it. Go hunt Axis deer and watch them explode and get out of the way the split second that bow goes off. Sound of a bow can be a big deal.
I don’t believe you could shoot off the riser with some of the Hoyts that included the RX4 as they had the adjustable grip underneath and not a flat riser. Either way your hand being cold doesn’t effect the shot, I have never missed a shot because my hand was to cold lol. I never made a shot because my carbon riser was warmer to the touch, that’s just ridiculous to make that argument.

Bowtech tuning tech is leading the industry, however they are having some longevity issues with it and screws stripping and the axles not being greased enough but the tech is awesome. However most people do find the top hats to be pretty easy. I do agree most companies including Hoyt or Matthews would benefit from that tech but they probably don’t want to pay Bowtech for a Licensing fee to use that tech.

you still need a press for a Bowtech when your strings stretch or peep twist and timing.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Man good points you made, however bringing PSE into this doesn’t really do anything as we were comparing Hoyt and Matthews. Your right their are many variables that we are unsure of but one thing that is universally across the board is Matthews are dead in the hand and quiet, not sure how that fact is chapping the ass of so many people.
If noise was not a big deal we wouldn’t be talking about it and it wouldn’t be a big think people look for in a bow. But it is a big thing when it comes to hunting and people do want and need it. Go hunt Axis deer and watch them explode and get out of the way the split second that bow goes off. Sound of a bow can be a big deal.
I don’t believe you could shoot off the riser with some of the Hoyts that included the RX4 as they had the adjustable grip underneath and not a flat riser. Either way your hand being cold doesn’t effect the shot, I have never missed a shot because my hand was to cold lol. I never made a shot because my carbon riser was warmer to the touch, that’s just ridiculous to make that argument.

Bowtech tuning tech is leading the industry, however they are having some longevity issues with it and screws stripping and the axles not being greased enough but the tech is awesome. However most people do find the top hats to be pretty easy. I do agree most companies including Hoyt or Matthews would benefit from that tech but they probably don’t want to pay Bowtech for a Licensing fee to use that tech.

you still need a press for a Bowtech when your strings stretch or peep twist and timing.
well I never said that sound wasn’t an issue I just said that it’s not as high on the list as other things since most bows are comparable when fully outfitted. Bringing PSE into the picture was simply showing that reviews are subjective based on who’s doing them case in point the review. But I agreed with you that Mathews are universally accepted as the most quiet right out of the box.

as far as your statement of axis deer. I have kill 7 axis deer 2 with a mathews, 1 with a Hoyt, 2 with a Bowtech and 2 with an elite so I’m well aware of their capabilities and even the Mathew doesn’t reduce sound enough to prevent them from jumping so that argument to me holds no water.

as far as needing a press for a string change or peep twist that’s basically all bows but once set with quality strings there is typically little need to put it back in a press, but a press less tuning system has many advantages especially if running multiple different arrow set ups and weight for different animals. While top hats are definitely not hard it’s not anywhere near as fast or simple as the SET or deadlock system.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I agree th

I shoot bare hands, I’m in Canada and shoot when it’s -10 degrees . I have a Hoyt RX4 Alpha (carbon) Only thing touching the riser when I shoot is the tips of my index and second finger. Only other pressure is on the (rubber, plastic) part of the grip on the shot. I see no benefit or advantage Carbon gives you in that scenario!
If it was that big of a deal they would make all releases in carbon as well as your holding and gripping your release a lot more than you do your bow!
holding your bow is a lot different than how you hold your bow when you shoot. However all I was referring to is that is the only advantage and it is up to the end user to decide if that is worth the additional cost.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
well I never said that sound wasn’t an issue I just said that it’s not as high on the list as other things since most bows are comparable when fully outfitted. Bringing PSE into the picture was simply showing that reviews are subjective based on who’s doing them case in point the review. But I agreed with you that Mathews are universally accepted as the most quiet right out of the box.

as far as your statement of axis deer. I have kill 7 axis deer 2 with a mathews, 1 with a Hoyt, 2 with a Bowtech and 2 with an elite so I’m well aware of their capabilities and even the Mathew doesn’t reduce sound enough to prevent them from jumping so that argument to me holds no water.

as far as needing a press for a string change or peep twist that’s basically all bows but once set with quality strings there is typically little need to put it back in a press, but a press less tuning system has many advantages especially if running multiple different arrow set ups and weight for different animals. While top hats are definitely not hard it’s not anywhere near as fast or simple as the SET or deadlock system.
Both Hoyt and Mathews could benefit from a system along the lines of Bowtech. Having both an R5Ultra and. V3 31 I would rather change top hats than Hoyt’s shims. That said, my Revolt is easier than either the Hoyt or the Mathews.
I very much enjoy my RX5 U, it is a nice bow to shoot and hunt with but I really can’t point to anything about it that I would say is industry leading.
Hoyt needs to up their game. The RX5/ Ventum was a step in the right direction and and a huge improvement from prior years offerings, but hardly innovative or industry leading.

221 - 240 of 262 Posts