Archery Talk Forum banner
241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
well I never said that sound wasn’t an issue I just said that it’s not as high on the list as other things since most bows are comparable when fully outfitted. Bringing PSE into the picture was simply showing that reviews are subjective based on who’s doing them case in point the review. But I agreed with you that Mathews are universally accepted as the most quiet right out of the box.

as far as your statement of axis deer. I have kill 7 axis deer 2 with a mathews, 1 with a Hoyt, 2 with a Bowtech and 2 with an elite so I’m well aware of their capabilities and even the Mathew doesn’t reduce sound enough to prevent them from jumping so that argument to me holds no water.

as far as needing a press for a string change or peep twist that’s basically all bows but once set with quality strings there is typically little need to put it back in a press, but a press less tuning system has many advantages especially if running multiple different arrow set ups and weight for different animals. While top hats are definitely not hard it’s not anywhere near as fast or simple as the SET or deadlock system.
I found the quietness of the Matthews bows to help with whitetail around here in Canada and axis deer in Maui.especially in the morning before the wind picks up.
I use nothing but GAS bow strings on all my bows, put 300 shots through them then tune, all my bows Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech needed to have their timing reset a few times. Strings will continue to stretch, timing goes out, you’ll need a press after you tune it.
Deadlock is nice, probably the best but I find the top hats just as quick but yes with more effort than the deadlock. Either way top hats or deadlock I walk out in 20 minutes with a tuned bow. If I had to pick yes I think Deadlock would be preferred

·
Registered
25,043 Posts
I don’t feel there is anything innovative in bows to be honest. It takes some bows maybe 10 min longer to tune than others but once in tune your done, regardless of the different processes to get them there.

The biggest innovative thing archery over the last decade or more is the Xero sight. Nothing else even comes close.

With that said, I still look forward every year to the new releases.

The Ventum made me ditch the carbons so I’ll be curious to see how I feel about that after the 2022 release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm not really anticipating anything groundbreaking from Hoyt this year. I don't think they have the ingenuity to fix their biggest issue, which is weight on their carbon lineup. I also don't believe they have what it takes to compete with tuning capabilities of SET and Deadlock. The one thing I really enjoyed from them last year is the lower-mounted stabilizer, aka chode. However, it seems like every 'tard in the world decided to not take advantage of that obvious engineering improvement and slap a 10in stab in the usual spot anyways. SMH

·
Registered
25,043 Posts
Haven’t owned a Hoyt in quite some time that is out of balance so I really don’t have a need for the picatinny mounting option but I’m sure some will jump on that latest and greatest. More options the better to meet others needs thou.

I’m a little confused how all this marketing for bow balance by Mathews isn’t countered by a Hoyt marketing campaign since they have always been excellent in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,506 Posts
Ventum series is amazing, but I would wait and see if they make some refinements.

The whole Ventum concept was a re-imagining of the old Hoyt Spyder riser from 2013. That process gave me ideas that maybe Hoyt would re-image thru computerized technology the Carbon Matrix riser and get back to a longer axle lite weight carbon bow with bridge work like what came out of the Ventum/Spyder work. Hoyt has some older risers that actually when run thru computer imagining with vibration, can redesign and update and make some bad arse bows,,,,and cams as well.

Taking a hybrid system and duplicating the bottom cam onto the top thereby making it a two cam binary,very well can make some interesting things. I'm thinking for instance of a Z5 cam bottom and top,disgard the original smaller top cam, stringing it as a binary string stop system and using some sort of dual yoke system to adjust cam lean like PSE uses. That would be something I'd snap up in a second. Call the cam the Z6 so we all know where it originated from and the riser the Matrum. lol

241 - 260 of 262 Posts